LB Beach Drive 2011!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbyhorse23

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Susanne and I have been plotting for a month or so but I realized we've been a bit lax in the advertising department and thought I'd make a public announcement.
default_wink.png
I'm sure she'll chime in here with links to threads about previous years and some of the video and pictures, but I just wanted everyone to know that we'll be headed back to the Washington coast in August to have a good time with our minis and ya'll are welcome to join us.

Where: Peninsula Saddle Club in Long Beach, WA. This is our home away from home with a big grass meadow, horse camping, and a sand track you can race horses on. Horses can be hauled to the beach (or driven there if they are very fit and road safe) and when the tide is in we give lessons, play games and generally socialize at base camp.

When: Friday, August 19th through Sunday, August 21st. Feel free to come early or stay late! I will be arriving on Wednesday the 17th and can reserve pens if you let me know how many you'll need.

What: A really good time! Drive, ground-drive, ride a big horse, simply lead your mini if it suits you or come horseless to hang out.

Who: Anyone who wants to show up! There will be people there who can help fit your harness, work with your driving horse, let you try out Hyperbikes, and plenty of guys and children to keep the non-horsey crew happy.
default_wink.png
The town of Long Beach offers many entertainment options for when you're not driving and I've even heard rumors of a Kite Festival that weekend. (Wonder if I can fly one from the cart?
default_rolleyes.gif
)

We always have an exceptionally good time and would love to see a large turnout this year. Come on down!
default_saludando.gif

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Leia, you might want to check, if that is the weekend of the kite festival you might need to pick another. The Kite Festival down there is no joke, not sure it would be a good idea to attack the beach that weekend with horses...also its usually PACKED! On another note, sure hope we can join you guys! Only have one driving horse so far but I could hopefully ground drive mine by then!

NEW FLASH!!!

I just spoke with a woman at the kite museum. She said that the Festival is centered around the two main beach accesses in Long Beach. The beach is open from Seaview south, and up around Klitsap and Ocean View. Therefore, hauling to the beach will be a wiser choice, and means we should make reservations for the Peninsula Saddle Club asap.

Now back to our regularly scheduled message...

chime...chime...

The International Kite Festival is indeed that weekend (and the previous week). I'll call the Long Beach Chamber of Commerce to see if it's the whole length of the peninsula or primarily in one area *it is, after all, one looooooooong beach...the longest in the world). (see news flash ablove)

We've discussed driving at least one day at Sunset Beach in Oregon...perhaps we could still camp at the Saddle Club but trailer south for our beach driving? It's a bit of a drive from Long Beach, but miles of open, level beach that is affected very little by the tides, so we could drive all day long and park vehicles and trailers safely on the beach.

There's also Nehalem Bay State Park, which has horse camping, but is a longer drive for Washington folk.

Leia, we may need to touch base on this -- can you call me?

Last edited by a moderator:
I called the Peninsula Saddle Club a couple of days ago, they don't take reservations but said the junior rodeo is the weekend before so there should be plenty of room for us. I'll be arriving Wednesday so can grab pens.

Susanne, I'll give you a call.

Most of us don't bite, Vicki...and those who do have had their shots.

Not that you shouldn't go down to the beach any time, but we want you and your mom to join the NW Beachdrivers that weekend...

Hey, Erin...just as I was looking up your number...

You DEFINITELY need to come with Chip -- and bring your boyfriend, too...between Keith, Daryl, Bob, Martin and hopefully Darrin, there's a good-sized male contingent in our group.

Now let's hear from more NW folk. Whether you bring a driving horse or not, you'll get a chance to drive AND have a lot of fun.

(...and in case FOOD motivates you, we'll have a lot of that, too!)

Right now we are planning a day trip. That way we can get back home to care for all of those left behind. I'm positive Jasmine does not want Ariel spending the night out. Wasn't happy about being left behind with the boys this last weekend. Of course by then she will have Lacy here at home to keep her company. That will help.

Sounds like a wise approach, Marie. We'll have a list of cell phone #s in case anyone arrives while we are out driving, as well as the tide schedule for that weekend for planning.

susanne said:
You DEFINITELY need to come with Chip -- and bring your boyfriend, too...between Keith, Daryl, Bob, Martin and hopefully Darrin, there's a good-sized male contingent in our group.
I think Travis is up in Alaska
default_sad.png
and my S.O. Matt is in Iraq but my dad (also a "Bob") will be there.
default_smile.png
He and Mom will be coming with the new RV and the dog so we'll have some good cooking facilities available for the kind of stuff that can't be fixed over a campfire or barbeque.

I'm really getting excited for this! Just gotta keep working Turbo in hopes of having him in the cart by then. Still working on Amy and other NW drivers to come.

Leia

Should I say that I meant both Bobs with the single listing?

I knew that Matt was in Iraq, but somehow I thought Travis would be back by then.

(We have to keep quiet about Lucy, as our pups, Billie and Shadow, have to stay with their Aunt Carla!)

Leia is right, Travis is currently in Alaska. He'll be home bright and early on September 5th, only 54 more days, but who's counting LOL! I just put in for that saturday and sunday off
default_smile.png

Both haha! No I put in for the saturday and sunday of the beach drive weekend. He comes home early on a monday morning, so I have that monday thru thursday off. Better believe he aint leaving my sight for a few days LOL!

MooreAcres said:
Both haha! No I put in for the saturday and sunday of the beach drive weekend. He comes home early on a monday morning, so I have that monday thru thursday off. Better believe he aint leaving my sight for a few days LOL!
Hehehe, awesome! I'm thrilled you'll be joining us at the beach. Come down Friday night, we have more fun around the campfire than anywhere else!

Leia

Latest posts

Back