Late pregnant mare, having alot of issues with the itch!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cassie

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a mini mare that is very close to foaling, has about a week or two to go.

she has been battling alot with being really itchy! she rubs on anything and everything!

she is an older mare, but is healthy and bubs is healthy, poor girl is just so miserable with this!

yesterday it was really muggy and I think she was so hot and sweaty which made her more itchy poor girl was so uncomfortable. I am going to use QV wash which I use for my excma but was wondering if there is anything else I can use that will help her? really wanting to make her feel better before she foals...

has anyone tried oils like lavender or chamomile? I know that they have soothing agents and helps with inflmattion and irritation and won't hurt her or bubs...

Any advice is very much appreciated
default_smile.png

Thanks,

Cassie

Cassie - I'm new to the oils - but lavendar can be mixed with water and spritzed and rubbed on. Also - you could mix peppermint with it - a cooling, antiseptic oil. I will check later - book is in the truck - but think there are a couple of other oils you can use as well. Melalucka (spelled wrong) or Tea Tree Oil is a great one as well.

If you want to use a commercial product - Healthy Hair Care comes in concentrate form (pink) and you mix it with water. It can soothe skin, untangle manes and tails. Also - Shapely's MTG. This has sulphur in it - check to be sure neither you nor she find it offensive/become sensitive to it.

Last but not least - groom her. She may just be rubbing because she's uncomfortable and/or actually getting ready to foal. OR she just may be truly itchy as hormones change, LOL.

Hi Paula, thanks so much for the great advice
default_smile.png

yeah we use alot of the essential oils at home
default_smile.png
and on my horses was going to try the lavender on her, I can't actually use pepermint as I have a skin sensitivity to it... but LOVE melaluca (sp) lol and tea tree so thats awesome
default_smile.png

I know I can't get MTG here in Australia which sucks, but have heard lots of great things about the healthy hair care not sure if I can get that either but will definitley give it a go
default_smile.png

Thanks again we had a big storm tonight with quite heavy rain I left her out in it, and her coat feels so much better now
default_smile.png
she has really settled too
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back