Last Update On Quest

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reble

Reaction score
Talked for about 1 HOUR. :new_shocked:

Of course not looked at my results. Been so Busy. :no:

Warning and change of foals 4 months to 6 months,

Cannot comment Canadian inserts are different than US.

No Inserts in Canada have the change of 6 months or Warning !!!!!!!!!

So Canadians we do have different inserts ( He Says ) ????

He will look into it and find out reasons US Changed and why we didn't!!!!!!!!

Even if I had given him the full suringe to my Gelding would not been over 5X he says!!!!!!!

only would have been 4x (safe from overdose.)

My Gelding was 225 lbs. approximate. Measuring Tape Only

Not too many MINI Owners in Canada his quote.

So have not heard of any other cases, just rumors.

No Mini owners are reporting any side effects or deaths.

Moxidectin is Quote have saved many horses that would have died because of Cyathostomiasis ( small

strongyle)

Sorry for my lost, it will be documented and find out why changes have not been changed in Canada but in U.S.

Will get back to me but in a few weeks.

He says he relizes I will no longer try their product.

But knows his product has been saving horses.

He knows of all the web sites and talk // but their documents prove safe. And is one of the big sellers because of the Moxidectin that saves horse lives.

Sad Day again, hoping for more. !!!!!!!!! :saludando:

May I ask you a question--I've just been curious about this? What was your de-worming schedule prior to using Quest this last time? How often did you deworm, & with what product(s)?

Mary, I am so sorry, I know that you were really looking to put some closure on this, and it is not what you wanted to hear. :no: Corinne

Thanks

Asking Canadian Mini Owners

To Talk to your Local Stores that Sell Quest Dewormer :aktion033: :aktion033:

To Put Warning for Miniature Horses Above this Product.

The Coop where I bought this is doing so.

Hope others will follow.

Same as the U.S. has done in the Insert.

Everyone just thought the warning was in all Quest Dewormer

Wrong not in Canada.

Thanks everyone for reading and

wishing everyone a good an safe show and foaling Season.

Mary Thanks for all the info and warnings about Quest that you have posted. I no how much you and Glen Loved Filipowicz Im a Seahorse (Dom) what we called him.He will always have a special place in our hearts to.Thanks for trying to prevent this from happening to someones elses horse.

No warnings in Europe either- we have Vets administering it!!! It is virtually impossible to prove anything in a case like this.

If I suspected I had a small encysted strongyle infestation I would NEVER use a product that would remove them in one go, even if Moxidectin were safe.

I would use five day Fenbendazole- it just makes sense, which is surly more than the unprofessional ramblings of the representative from Quest does!!! :no:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nertz and bafflegab!!!

The AVMA (American Veterinary Medical Association) has taken note of it in formal science reports -- you should email this reference to your Quest rep and ask him why he isn't aware of it, since Fort Dodge had to respond to the FDA in the US about it, and any RESPONSIBLE pharma company has a whole department full of Regulatory Affairs professionals watching for stuff like this:

"Citation

Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association

August 15, 2004, Vol. 225, No. 4, Pages 533-536

doi:10.2460/javma.2004.225.533

Adverse drug event reports at the United States Food and Drug Administration Center for Veterinary Medicine"

Canada and the USA are governed by different safety organizations for drugs, yes: in Canada, it's the Therapeutic Products Branch of the Health Canada ministry that does this instead of the FDA.

Your rep is right about one thing, though: there have been few, if any, complaints in Canada from mini owners, simply because there are fewer of us here than in the USA -- that DOESN'T mean that there are only a few of us here, though. Minis are becoming ever-more popular in Canada, and your rep may want to check on the numbers of them by doing a skim through Google looking for "miniature horses" and "Canada", which turns up 46,200 references when I do it -- one of the first ones is this forum.

The thing about marketing drugs is that as long as a given drug does NOT have any injunctions against it in the country of sale, and does NOT have any locally (meaning "in that country") reported adverse events against it to alarm a country's public health officials, it is still quite legal to sell it as is without recalling it and without updating the package inserts -- ESPECIALLY if it is "only" for animals that are not typically consumed by humans. Until there is a public outcry, it is unlikely that our horses will be considered an at-risk group here in Canada: and unless there is a clear connection between industry losses and the use of this drug, or a clear connection between public health threats and the use of this drug, it is unlikely that Health Canada TPB is going to fuss at Fort Dodge to get the package inserts updated for sale here.

So we need to raise a fuss.

We can do that most effectively by writing to or emailing HC-TPB at one of the following contact points:

Minister's Office - Health Canada

Brooke Claxton Building, Tunney's Pasture

Postal Locator: 0906C

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

K1A 0K9

Fax:

(613) 952-1154

E-mail:

[email protected]

OR by filling out the form at

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/minist/heal...ct/index_e.html

and submitting it.

I filled out the form with the subject line "Why are my miniature horses at risk here from Moxidectin (Quest, marketed by Fort Dodge Animal Health)??" and the following letter in it:

"Dear Sir,

Could you please advise me as to why Fort Dodge Animal Health, makers of Quest Gel (a moxidectin paste aimed at reducing internal parasites in a variety of livestock) are not required to update their package inserts in Canada to reflect the adverse events in miniature horses that are documented in the United States?

The AVMA has reported these events and documented them in the following citation, available from the AVMA web site:

'Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association

August 15, 2004, Vol. 225, No. 4, Pages 533-536

doi:10.2460/javma.2004.225.533

Adverse drug event reports at the United States Food and Drug Administration Center for Veterinary Medicine'

In the USA, the FDA has required Fort Dodge to update their package inserts to reflect the danger to miniature horses of overdose, but this is apparently not required by Canada's Therapeutic Products Branch.

The percentage of miniature horse owners in Canada is of similar proportion to that in the United States, so despite our smaller overall population, we need to be advised about these kinds of things.

Your earliest possible investigation and response would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Leah Murray"

That will trigger some interest from the MInister of Health: more than two such letter to him should trigger something called a ministerial inquiry, which will get the TPB hopping around the issue.

Hope that helps a bit!

Leah M.

quote name='Reble' date='Feb 2 2006, 06:50 PM' post='555989']

Talked for about 1 HOUR. :new_shocked:

Of course not looked at my results. Been so Busy. :no:

Warning and change of foals 4 months to 6 months,

Cannot comment Canadian inserts are different than US.

No Inserts in Canada have the change of 6 months or Warning !!!!!!!!!

So Canadians we do have different inserts ( He Says ) ????

Mary,

I know it's frustrating and it feels like you are hitting your head against a brick wall.....BUT your efforts ARE making a difference and your beloved horse did NOT die in vain.

Bless you,

MA

Latest posts

Back