Last update on Koda's traning

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortpig

Reaction score
Well went up to check on Koda two days ago. He had marks on his back the trainer explained that a big horse had reached over the panel and bit him. That didn't set well with me and I made that abundantly clear. Then today I made a surprise visit. He was standing in a stall that hadn't been cleaned for a week. The ammonia smell was so strong I could hardly breath. So I got on the phone, called the trainer because he wasn't at home and told him to bring my horse home and exactly why. So he did. Koda is now home safe and happy with his Sire. Things are back to normal.

The trainer isn't happy but he has no idea how lucky he is that I was calm about the whole thing. He is going to refund me part of the money I paid for the training. He had my horse for 1 week hauled him a total of 2/3's of a mile round trip and never cleaned his stall. So I figure I should get most of the money back. Problem now is I will have issues sending Koda to anyone else I don't know because of this experience. You never really know how your horse is being treated by other people if you can't check on them regularly any hour of the day. Especially hard if the trainer is way far away.
default_no.gif

I'm so sorry. That is why I am VERY careful about sending one of my horses out. I only ever sent out one big horse, and then I've done it with a mini, and will be doing it next year with another mini. However, I knew all three of these trainers very well and had been going to their barns over a long period of time, I had watched them handle various horses, etc.

I won't put a horse with a trainer just because they win all the time, etc.

[SIZE=12pt]
default_no.gif
That's so sad.
[/SIZE]

Well I bet Koda's very happy to be with you.
default_wub.png

Good luck finding a real trainer.
default_wink.png

Make sure you talk to Koda and tell him that it won't always be that way when he leaves home. This was a single bad experience you weren't expecting and most times when he leaves it will be to go somewhere nice for a short period of time and then come home. He needs to know that!

Leia

Glad to hear Koda is doing okay and is back home with you. You want to know what I learned today? I learned that no matter where your horse is - either with a trainer, a boarding facility, whatever. Even if you have every reason to believe your horse is at a good place. We need to make sure we stop by and make surprise visits, just like you did. Good for you!

Liz R.

Last edited by a moderator:
Koda is very happy to be home. I think he knew when I showed up today good things were going to happen. He was extremely loveable and when he got home he was fine until I started to head back to the house. Didn't want me to leave even though he had his Dad and the mares were all talking to him. I will however tell him what you said Leia.

Susanne was with me when I went to check on him. She suspected right away he was coming home. Didn't surprise her at all. My horses don't live like that and never will. He got alot of extra lovin tonight when I fed and sucked up every bit of it. I will now sleep a little better knowing he is back safe and sound.

It's really hard to find out someone is not what they portrayed themselves to be, but nowadays, it happens all the time...you did the RIGHT thing by making an unannounced visit! Be glad you did, so saw the truth and got your boy back home where he is safe and well-cared for!

Margo

You absolutely did the right thing!! And.... how is the horse being trained if the trainer is not there? There are many that dont have good reputations and some that are certainly borderline! I have never sent a horse out to someone else- I am just to picky and would rather do it myself.

GOOD FOR YOU for dropping in with surprize visits to check on your boy!!! This is what most folks need to do to see how their horse is doing and being taken care of!! I am glad you brought him home! No, it isn't always like this, and thank heavens it was only for a week. If the trainer wants to know details of why or why they are not happy, I would certainly lay it on him!!

OMG !! I am so sorry that happened but it was the smart thing to do and go check on him without warning. I have heard too many things like that happening to horses while at the trainers. You have to be so careful where they go. I wonder about the other horses that are there ?

Whatever you do when and if you will be meeting the trainer in person to get your refund, remember NOT to let this trainer intimidate you and make you feel like YOU are in he wrong for pulling your boy out of there. you ABSOLUTELY and unequivocaly did the right thing in having him leave this place under the circumsances (poor care). Stick to your guns on this!

Good for you. You absolutely did the right thing for your horse. This is the reason I am really not comfortable sending my horses anywhere. You just never know.

Latest posts

Back