Last foal born at SPH Miniatures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHANA

Reaction score
Well this morning at 6a.m looked in on Lita, my last mare to foal this year, didn't look like she was going to foal so went to the house. My husband went to get the 4 wheeler at 6:30a.m and said Lita was foaling so I went to check on her. I am so glad I did, not only was it a redbag but the foal was breach. I was able to pull him but sadly he was stillborn and had he survived he had a badly twisted hind leg so probably would not have made it. Yes it was a colt, a gorgeous buckskin pintaloosa.
default_no.gif
So this season I had 4 fillies and 3 colts, of which 2 colts did not survive. One died at a week old in the vets arms, the other being todays stillborn colt.
default_no.gif
Anyway I gave Lita some banamine and left the colt with her for now. My husband will go bury him after he is done milking the cows. I did take a photo of him, as well as the redbag for those wanting to see it. Just PM me and give me your e-mail address.

I am so sorry for the loss of your colts
default_pray.gif
. You will be in my thoughts today.

So sorry to read of your loss. It is always heartbreaking when a little one is lost. Thank goodness you were there to help your mare - hope she is ok.

Anna

So sorry to here of the loss of your precious foals. Give that mare a special hug and take care.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your two colts this season...it is truly heartbreaking when it happens. Here's a hug for you and your mare(s).

More bad news, looks like Lita prolasped her uterus, waiting for the vet. I am just hoping it is actually retained placenta. She doesn't seem in any pain, has pooped and peed. I hope it is fixable.
default_unsure.png

Sorry for your bad ending to foaling season. Hope your mare will be fine - it's always so hard on them losing a baby.

Hope it's a retained placenta vs a prolapse! I've heard good things if a prolapse is caught/dealt with right away, but I'd rather deal with a retained placenta!!

We had a mare (very experienced older broodmare) retain a placenta that took close to 24 hours to get to pass it - she was in ICU on an oxytocin drip the last six hours as it really didn't want to come out!

Keeping fingers crossed for your mare.

She doesn't seem to be in pain. I hope the vet gets here soon. I am so mad at my husband as I told him to watch her while I was at work, guess what he went to mow lawns and is no where to be found. Tried his cell phone and left him a very unpleasant message. Pretty much told him to get his but home. I will not be able to go to my second job which starts at 4p.m and phoned the other dishwasher to let her know so she can let teh chef and my boss know I will be late. If bad news though I won't feel like working.
default_unsure.png

So sorry to read about your sad news Shana. Really hoping the best for this poor mare.

I am so sorry for your loss - I know only too well how you are feeling. RIP little one - run free now.

Well sorry about the news being late, had to rush to work and had no time to go online. Anyway it is a prolapsed uterus. The vet was amazed that she was not in pain and eating hay and had a nice big poop in front of him. Anyway he gave her all sorts of shots(banamine, penycyllan, shot to stop the contractions, etc). He put it back in, she didn't push and still has not acted like pushing it out again. I just checked her, all was well, she was eating a little hay. I gave her tons more to keep her busy. He said the first 12 hours are the most critical and she needs to be on penycylan for 5 days, first 3 days twice a day, and last 2 days once a day. She also gets a tetnus shot tommorow as he didn't want to give her to many shots all at once. He said not to breed her this year and have her checked next spring to make sure all is healed properly before I breed her. I told him I didn't care if I ever bred her again as long as she made it. She always could be trained to drive and used for driving, etc. I am just relieved she is not in pain and so far doing well.

What an ordeal you've both been through. I hope she heals perfectly and I'm so glad she made it...sorry about the little guy, though.

My thoughts are with you.

Liz

Well she is doing fine this morning, went to barn and she was standing eating hay. We bedded her stall with about 3 bales of hay since we had no straw and didn't want to bed with shavings. Vet said that was a good thing as shavings would stick and this way she always has plenty of hay to eat and keep her mind occupied. We made 4 huge piles in each corner so she can move around and she has a bucket of water. We turned the automatic waterer off so we can monitor her water intake. So the first 12 hours has come and gone, now just have to wait another 12 before I can relax. He said if she makes it 24 hours with no problems then she should be fine but after the first 12 I can breath easier.
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back