Lasik eye surgery

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJRMINIS

Reaction score
I have a consultation this week to see if I am a good candidate for the Lasik surgery. I have a list of questions to ask about it, I made the mistake of watching some of the surgery on U-tube, which freaks me out, but anything with your eyes is kinda scary!!!!!!! Any advice or questions I should ask from those of you who have had this done? I am currently wearing my glasses, which I hate, because they said No contacts 2 weeks prior to the consultation. So I am hoping I am a good candidate and can get the surgery scheduled........My brother and sis both had it done years ago and both say it was the best thing they ever did.......but I have also heard stories that worry me.
default_unsure.png

Hubby had it done about 2 years ago. It wasn't painful and he has better vision than me now
default_new_shocked.gif
He is a pretty big baby when it comes to being sick or pain so I don't think you should worry about it
default_yes.gif
I watched as they did the procedure. It made me cringe a bit but hubby said it wasn't bad at all. Good luck and I am sure it will be well worth your time and "suffering" if you can call it that lol
default_biggrin.png

I had Lasix done in June. It was THE BEST thing ever. I have sent 3 more patients to my doctors because of my experiences. The surgery to me was very interesting. Some bright lights and everything and a few sounds, they talk you through it, and before you know it you are done. I went in at 5:30 pm and was done with the surgery at 5:39 pm. I was 20/500 and 20/550 when I went into the surgery and when I came out the next morning I was 20/15. What more could you ask for.

DO IT, and DON"T LOOK BACK.

Also the worst thing is to watch the surgery on you tube. Things like that are never good in my opinion.

I had it done in March....I wish I'd done it years ago! Best thing ever!

There is no pain during the surgery which will only take a few minutes an eye (up to 7 minutes). There is pressure on your eye and it kinda feels like your eyeball will pop out of your head, it is uncomfortable, but not painful.

Best thing after is to rest your eyes. Sleep if you can and do not rub them, you will want to bad, but don't or you could move the "flap"...you may have some dryness after but it will get better, flax seed oil capsules will help with that (also good for your hair/skin) or fish oil capsules (yuck). You also might have some halos around bright lights but that goes away within a couple months.

Be sure and use the drops they give you. You will be so happy with the results...it's the best $2500 I have ever spent, I am better than 20/20 now and I have worn glasses since I was 12 (I'm 39 now).

Good Luck!

LOVE it! I had it done back in 2002. Be sure and ask who your doctor will be and how many surgeries he/she has performed.

I had the surgery done in 2001 and wouldnt hesitate to recommend this to anyone. Its great being able to see the alarm clock and actually be able to see what time it is! The place I had it done, they were great, they talk you through it and it doesnt take long. Right after your done you can see very clearly! It really beats wearing those glasses!

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

How long did it take for you to get back to your normal horsie chores? I had someone tell me you shouldn't be around dust, well cleaning stalls is dusty....What about back to halterbreaking foals, etc? I am trying to get everyone halterbroke before, but just curious on how long till you could be back to "normal"
default_unsure.png

They recommended to me about 2 weeks before anything major, HOWEVER I snuck to the horse races the day after and had to get the house ready for an open house so was outside lots working, I just wore some FUNKY looking goggles that no way a particle of dust could get through....................NOT DOCTOR RECOMMENDED

My hubby has his eyes done a few years ago and said it's the best thing he ever did...... (of course I then had to remind him that marrying me was the Best thing he did, the eyes have to come 2nd to that)..... but his surgery went very well and he ended up with 20/15 vision........ that being said, and depending on your vision prior to surgery and your age, you may need to go in for adjustments...... also as you age, you may still need reading glasses....but probably not for a few years.......

Also, if you do the surgery, make sure the Dr is very experienced, don't skimp, it's your eyesight......I cringe when I see those buy one get one free for eye surgery...yikes..... and do everything they tell you, so that you will recover nicely.....it can get itchy, but they give you eye drops and make sure you use them and rest your eyes....it is surgery after-all..... I think a lot of people forget that......

Good luck and I hope you are a good candidate......... I was going to have it done, but frankly my eyesight isn't poor enough......I have pretty good vision, but astigmatism, so the Dr. said it would be the easiest $2000 they made, but I wouldn't be a good candidate, since my eyesight hasn't changed in years.

I thought it was nice that he was very upfront about it and didn't try to get me to do it, just so he could make a buck.

Well I am a good candidate for the Lasik...........The only thing worrying me is my astigmatism, they said 85% chance of correcting it, which really is good, but I would rather here 95% or more... I am scheduling the surgery!!! Hope it all goes well.....I am a bit nervous.
default_unsure.png

I had Lap Band in 2006 and Lasix in 2007 and it was the BEST thing I ever did. I had astigmatisms in both eyes real bad and now I see great. I recommend it for everyone. You will not be sorry. No more glasses. No more EXPENSIVE sunglasses. First place I went to was Walmart to get me a pair of regular sunglasses. Altho I was a little blurry right after surgery I still got them just because it has been so long since I bought a pair of regular sunglasses. Heck I know I spent hundreds of dollars on nice sunglasses just because I wanted a pair of cool looking pair like eveyone else had.

Now I can go in and try a pair on and actually see what I look like............lol................you will not be sorry. Just use your eye drops afterwards like they say to...........its definitely worth the money.

I've had it done and I love it. I had worn glasses since I was 7, had a bad astigmatism. Now I see great my only draw backs are my age +40 and sometimes I do need to use reading glasses if I read a lot, not on the computer but books. Night vision has always been an issue for me and to a point it still is. But I love it. Good Luck and relax.

I also had a bad astigmatism, no problems here with the lasik. I would wait a couple weeks before being around lots of dust/smoke/etc....if you must go to the barn and be around the dust, at least wear the goggles they give you.

That is good to hear from all of your experiences........I am glad a few of you with bad astigmatism have posted.....Did they tell you 85% when you had your consultation? I am excited but extrememly nervous as well, My brother told me he could see right away after, and he had astigmatism too, but not near as bad as mine. Over 22 years in contacts and/or glasses, I am so ready for a change!
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back