Large equine and miniatures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wpsellwood

Reaction score
I just had to post this.

These people we know wanted to turn out their mini with their quarter horse. My advice was no as if he kicked her even accidently he could injure her.

Well no one listens to me not a week went by and sure enough the big guy kicked her. Right in the eye. At first the vet said she would lose her eye and it would have to be sewed shut. Such a bummer. Overnight the dang thing came back. The vet couldnt believe it. She will still be blind but at least will have an eye in the socket and possibly be able to see shadows.

This wasnt done with the intention of hurting the mini. I know that, but just remember how fragile they truely are. 250 lbs versus 1250 lbs.

I can just picture this poor little Mini~Ouch~

We have 4 big guys and I would never dream of them sharing the same pasture, I have seen how they run in the pasture with each other, one of the Mini's would be "road kill"..

Sometimes you just wanna say "told ya so" Its too bad saying "I told you so" won't save her poor horses eye. And its too bad her saying " I wish I would have listened" won't do it either!

Bless you for speaking out for what you felt was right! Arm yourself with photos of this poor little one, so the next time you argue this point you have some graphic evidence as food for thought!

I'm glad that you said something prior.....just for your own sanity.

I keep telling folks OVER and OVER that a mini is NOT to be a companion for their full- sized horse. I'm tired of the "rolled eyes" reaction. All I do and can do is cringe.

Thank heaven the situation you witnessed didn't end up worse....... You did all you could do.....

MA

Oh, if I had a dollar for the number of people who have told me, on this forum as well, "Oh, I've done it for YEARS and they are just fine" Yes- right up to the moment when the big horse inadvertently kills the Mini!!

One of our local ignoramus did the same thing only it was in with a work horse, when I told him and showed him I was horrified he just became his superior self and showed even more pictures of the 2 together (oh so cute people would say) well Mr Ignorant went away on vacation and left baby brother ignorant to feed and such.

I got a call the mini had been kicked and had been dragging around a broken front leg for 3 days, I called vet but without owners permission he could only give him something for pain,this guy is well known for being shady and sue happy so had to wait til he came home to have the mini put down, well he just actually shot it. By then the newness and novelty had worn off anyway so no big deal for him.

I want to smack him everytime I see him.

But people still do it all the time.

Don't you just love it?

One of our local ignoramus did the same thing only it was in with a work horse, when I told him and showed him I was horrified he just became his superior self and showed even more pictures of the 2 together (oh so cute people would say) well Mr Ignorant went away on vacation and left baby brother ignorant to feed and such.

I got a call the mini had been kicked and had been dragging around a broken front leg for 3 days, I called vet but without owners permission he could only give him something for pain,this guy is well known for being shady and sue happy so had to wait til he came home to have the mini put down, well he just actually shot it. By then the newness and novelty had worn off anyway so no big deal for him.

I want to smack him everytime I see him.

But people still do it all the time.

Don't you just love it?

no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif

no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif

Poor poor minis!

Can a mini be put with a pony??

example: a 34" mini and a 11-12 hand pony? (i wouldn't do it, just wanted to know)

midnight star stables said:
no.gif

no.gif

no.gif

no.gif
no.gif

no.gif

no.gif

no.gif

Poor poor minis!

Can a mini be put with a pony??

example: a 34" mini and a 11-12 hand pony? (i wouldn't do it, just wanted to know)

428324[/snapback]

I think that would be okay!! thats like putting a 34'' mini with a 44'' ponie! the diference is 10''! I dont think the ponie is big enouugh to do any damage! but with a 15-16 hand horse and weighing about 1500 lbs is a little scary!

-Gage-

Any time there is a significant size difference, there is a risk to the smaller horse-so, midnight star, I would say,"Don't..." in answer to your question about putting a 34 incher in with a pony that is 2 1/2-2 hands taller.

'Fizz, THANK YOU for the frank words--NEEDS to be said, again and again!! Just because it didn't happen today, or last week, does NOT insure that it will never happen! My "big" Paint mare is very mild-mannered, and seems very friendly toward the minis, but NO WAY would I allow her into the same space with any/all of them-one MILDLY ANNOYED kick is all it would ever take....what on EARTH makes people think they are 'immune' from such a scenario??

Well normally I would agree but I do put my mini's in with my big guys and my guys are 17+ hand Dressage horses. Granted I do have the brains not to put them in together during fly season mainly mine are only out with them sometimes during the winter. I know several people that their's live 24 7 with their one big guy as a companion. I am very watchful with them and not all of my big horses can go in with them but some of them it is ok they actually watch over them. Ok that is just my two cents.

outlaw

After I brought my first mini home, a yearling, it was shortly after I put him in his own pen (adjacent to the young big horse pen), that he was no where to be found in his pen. I look and called, the big horses came on the run from the other section of their pen for breakfast, but no Dakota. Major panic attack... I walked down the fence line til I could see around the windbreak, there he was and luckily un-harmed with a "who me" look on his face. He had squeezed through a little hole in the fence to be with the big horses, including a filly that can be kicky. Luckily he was unharmed and happy to go back to his pen.

My senior half-arab gelding seems to really like the two minis, he hangs out all day across the fence from them, but I would never put him in the same pen with either mini. They'll have to do their socializing with a fence between them.

thank you, thank you, thank you all for bringing this to the front yet again.

I am right now tlaking as fast as I can to convince a 'new to minis' family that they can't put a 29 1/2" yearling colt with a 15+ hand AQHA mare.
new_shocked.gif
a 'gentle' mare. (you know what she will do the first time this young boy tries to mount her!)

Please keep fingers crossed that I will be successful.

Charlotte

Hi, I learn so much everytime I come on here and read. You all

talk about putting a mini in with a big horse. I have a yearling

mini colt that one night got out running free with a morgan gelding

and a yearling clydesdale colt. They were running all around my

farm and other farms around us at 1:30am on day. After that

day we put are mini's out in a dry lot with just electric tape 3 strands

and I though they were find. I went to the little store just down

the street not five mile away. I went out to put him up could not find

him. The electric was on he went in with the 2 horse that were his buddies.

Thank god he didn't get killed because I have 2 other clydes geldings

that he went throw did one day almost kicked him in his head the horse

hit the fence post and not his head. He is in a different kind of fenced

in area so he can not get out and get hurt. We have 3 clydes , 1 morgan ,

2 pony's and 3 mini's we have to remember one thing they all have 4

feet and teeth they don't always mean to hurt with them. I alway put

horses of the same size together that way maybe less chance of

someone getting hurt. I hope people will remember just because

they like each other doesn't mean they should be in the same field.

Accidents do happen.

mini me

Latest posts

Back