Laney (*filly* 4/10-Tinkerbelle) *New pics pg 187*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_saludando.gif
Hi Megan, your chips look great and the one of Cheyenne riding Ricky is so sweet. I love that little guy.
default_yes.gif
I think you were wise to sell Jake, what with the children and minis oh and not to mention work and the house it must be hard to fit everything in.

It is great to hear from you but I think we will need a few more pics though
default_whistling.gif

So nice to hear from you Megan! Glad you are all well, love the fluffy pics, much too cute! Can't wait to see pics of tink all clipped up as well
default_smile.png

Sorry to hear that you sold jake but it sounds as though its a great home for him!

Great to hear from you again Megan - the furkids are looking fabulous and sweet Ricky looks so very proud with his happy little rider!!

Sorry to hear about Jake, but it sounds as though you made the best choice for him. Good luck with all your plans for the summer!
default_yes.gif

Thank you so much, friends
default_wub.png
I love talking to you all!

I am so happy Jake is going with his rider. I was upset at the thought of selling him but do believe it is the best things and he will be in the best hands. He loves the girl he is going to and interacts with her different then anyone else. They are a great team
default_yes.gif

Tinkerbelle is such a laid back and friendly filly. Not nearly as bossy as Ricky. Laney is the boss of the group but Ricky does test her a lot. They have been enjoying galloping around the yard everyday and race eachother. Laney is a fast one- she kind of surprises me.

Thank you for the best wishes about the houses! We are so ready for it!

I will take some more photos and post them soon. Silly weather keeps trying to trick us and wants the chips to remain fuzzy for a bit longer.
default_thumbdown.gif

Sorry for double posting- but I wanted to share my blog and little video I put together of my daughter helping me make some springtime goodies
default_smile.png

I put a lot of recipes up blog so please check it out: http://mamahootsfoodislove.blogspot.com/

And here is our video:

default_saludando.gif

You and Renee need to stop posting tasty things here and on FB
default_new_rofl.gif

The chips look fantastic, love that pic of the three faces in the gate!

Bahahaha, Renee! I wish I could taste that Piggie cake you made. It was so adorable and had KIT KATS!! Brilliant!

Helloooooo
default_whistling.gif

Wanted to post a few pics from this week.

Tinkerbelle is a year old now and I am wanting to get her ready to show. I havent worked with her setting up at all but we did give her a clip and this is the process:

First clip was her bum. I ended up going out and buying a new set of clippers (Oster Clipmaster) cause the ones i had would NOT get through that winter wool.

Then yesterday I did more clipping.

I still need to go over it all and clip her legs. She wasn't happy about her face so it took forever and is not a good job. I have to try again.

We are looking for a saddle for Ricky. Cheyenne likes to ride him and I think she needs a saddle but the ones I saw one amazon seem too small. It was only a 7" and I cant see her fitting in that for long but then again, I dont know exactly how big it is. I read that a 10" would fit a child up to 6 years which is plenty of time so I have to shop around.

We have a saddle I think is a 12" and it was too big for Ricky, but perfect for Laney. I put it on her to see how she would do and she did awesome. I think she actually liked having something on her back. She changed completely once I set it on her and was so focused/calm. Looks good on her too!

I wanted to share and thought some of you may want to see!

Show questions:

With clipping, do you have any tricks for getting a good clip on the face when a horse is fidgety or nervous? And now that she is clipped her mane is HUGE. Im assuming a need to take some volume out somehow, and dont want to 'pull' (i think is the term) so how can I thin it and make it sit nice and flat for the show?

ALSO.. How do I measure her for a show halter? I wanted to order one soon and have her train in it.

I haven't a clue, but I thought it was cute that you shared the picture of her bum shaved! It looks like you photoshopped another horse onto her!

Hi Megan
default_smile.png
I saw these pics on FB, they look great
default_thumbup.gif

Make sure Cheyenne is under 40lbs cos anymore would be too much. I personally think Ricky is too small and too young. I only ever put Alby on Eagle when I lead him in from the field (50 metres) and it was bareback as a saddle weighs too. JMHO maybe the others will have different ideas.

Hugs my friend, we miss you.
default_cheekkiss.gif

Hey Megan - great to hear from you again!! Tink is looking really fantastic and I love her colouring, so very attractive. Laney looks great too- thanks for the pictures.

Regarding Tink's thickish mare, a lot of folks carefully clip a bit into the underside of the mane and thin it down that way, or you could try some thinning scissors. To get the mane to lay flat, the easiest way that I have found is to use hair straighteners! Wash the mane as usual and when it is dry use the straighteners. One of the minis that we used to show had a thick mane (fly away too when clean!) but using the straighteners on the morning of a show kept her mane flat and well behaved all day!

How old is Ricky now and how tall? My 4 year old g/son only sits on our larger youngters once they are over 3 years old, and just for a sit on or a very short walk. I wouldn't add a saddle until the minis are 4 years old and by then anyway g/son will be too heavy especially with the weight of the saddle and blanket etc. Remember that the last plates of a horse's spine dont close until the horse is 6 years old and carrying even a little too much weight before then can lead to problems later in their lives.

Do keep the pictures coming - when is the show?

LOVE that little pintaloosa girl!!! She is looking just fabulous!!!

I also do a little cutting into the base of the underside of the mane, and use a thinning comb on the underside of the mane to help take out some of the "mass". That way, the length stays beautifully on the top side and no one sees what you did to make it look so perfect!!

I use the big clippers on the body and top of the legs, and then use the smaller clippers on the face and bottom of the legs. Gives you a little more ease in guiding what you want clipped.

She's looking great!!!!

Thank you ladies
default_smile.png
I wondered if you could use a hair straightener on them. Looking at the show minis I know they HAVE to do something because minis manes just don't grow that way
default_smile.png

With my daughter riding Ricky- she is itty bitty.. barely even 30lbs. We walk her around the yard for a few minutes and that is it. I would never do anything that wasn't good for either of them. Ricky is a little under 32' and very thick. I posted a photo on the last page and you can tell she is not near too big for him. It's a two person job, one leading Ricky and the other holding on to my little girl. I think she would feel more secure in a saddle and that is why I was looking.

I live near an arena they hold shows every month just about, and at least 3 times a year there are shows for minis at the big fair grounds complex so I am lucky and have lots of shows we could attend. I'm not ready to enter yet. I'm a person that likes to research and prepare far more then usual before getting into things I am new at. I'll go back and attend several and spend hours finding out what we should know before I enter one. I want to take them to the show grounds just to visit too before they are in one too.

I straighten Suzie's mane at a show and it really helps to bring out the shine also
default_smile.png

Tink is looking so good pretty girl!

how are you guys going at your house? have things settled now?

I can't wait to hear your results at your first show! such excitement!

I didn't mean to imply that you didn't care for your chips Megan - we all know you better than that, they are some of the best loved and cared for minis around and very lucky to have you! It is just that it is sometimes difficult to judge weights and a lot of folks forget about the extra when they add the saddlery!

I'm sure your little one enjoys her 'sit on's' with Ricky and it wont do him any harm either. Good luck with the shows when you are ready to enter, it's a great idea to get Tink there for a visit before you actually enter as they are so close - bet her little eyes will pop out on stalks at all the new sights and sounds, bless her!

Yes Megan you know we would never doubt the way you love your chips, I was just saying what I think as sometimes a friends different point of view makes us see things from a different angle. I thought Ricky was just a baby and that Cheyenne was bigger, thanks for explaining
default_cheekkiss.gif
How old is she now? she is so cute and looks just like you
default_smile.png
My Alby is finally growing and no longer is the smallest child in the school. It is weird how him and Matteo are so different, Matteo is huge and at nearly 14 stands at 1.78cm (5.10" ) yet Alby at 5 is just 1.14 cm (3.9") and weighs just 40lbs, He is my cuddly baby
default_smile.png

Anyway, I am rambling
default_whistling.gif
am I forgiven??

With body and face clipping you can never underestimate the effect of cleanliness, both of the coat and the blades. So big bath time, preferably with shampoo and hot water and a really through rinse. Check blades are sharp, oil them as you go through. First clip is often horrid as you remove the thicker coat, it gets easier and cleaner after that.

For faces I undo the halter so it's just sitting around the neck, most of mine then let me hold their muzzles in one hand and clip with the other. I often do faces first while the blades are cool.

With manes I remove the top portion first, My preference is to take it far enough down that you don't see the mane when standing on the opposite side of it (if that makes sense!) I then de fluff the forelock by slowing removing hair from either side and underneath it with the clippers, take very small portions and comb out loose hair as you go. For super thick forelocks (looking at you Pallidon
default_new_rofl.gif
) I then use a thinning rake.

On the remaining mane I pull anything scraggly looking from the topside of the mane, extra thickness is then removed by clipping the underside.

Oh how I hate clipping
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
Hope that helps though! I also do my first clip in a 10 no matter what length I'll do future clips in.

Just wanted to post these pictures for those who remember these babies!

Tinkerbelle is now 2 years old! Here she is from earlier today. She finally has that smooth, short coat
default_smile.png

Tink_zps8b7cae64.jpg

Little Ricochet (who is now 3)..

Ricky_zps8b95031d.jpg

I am hoping to get the kids showing this year. We are very close to an arena where there are lots of shows.

Here is a snapshot of Laney, Tink and Ricky, lining up to be groomed and get treats..

LaneyTinkRicky_zpsb4937aea.jpg

Back