landscape/garden maintenance

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SampleMM

Reaction score
I'm not Martha Stewart, and I hate to garden but I need to do something. I have a mess in front of my

house and hate to even have people go to the front door. Three years ago I planted a bunch of ornamental

grasses and other stuff to make it look tropical even though I live in the snow belt!

They look great but the weeds look awful so I sprayed Round Up. Now what do I do. The weeds look dead but they are still there.

Do I have to pull these dead weeds out??

Any ideas or suggestions would be so welcomed you have no idea
default_yes.gif

Yes--darn--you need to pull the dead stuff out if you want it to look nice.
default_smile.png

Then I'd spread a nice thick mulch down there to prevent them from growing up again.

Careful spraying Round-Up near plants you want--pick a day where there's no wind--for one drop of the stuff can wreck havoc with something you want.

If you don't like to garden, a nice ground cover would probably do well.

Good luck!
default_saludando.gif

yup, pull all the dead stuff out and i second the idea of mulch. it'll really help keep the weeds down. if you can find cedar mulch, even better. it helps keep bugs out of your flowers.

something else...if you have pets, do NOT let them walk through where you have sprayed. if they get it on their paws and then lick, you'll be making a trip to the vet. i had this happen, very inadvertently, one time and paid dearly for it. my pup came out ok but it took a trip to the vet and a dose of characol for her to come out of it. :DOH!

Oh dear, I was hoping that I wouldn't have to pull these weeds. :DOH! Should I put anything else down before the mulch?

I agree barnbum a ground covering plant would be great! Any suggestions?
default_unsure.png

Wow,

I must say that the Round Up stinks to high heavens! But it would be nice to see the gardens again with a mulch.
default_biggrin.png

That's just what I'm saying, Mom.

-Had to put that~ >nightdog< LOL.

you can put down that black plastic that comes in rolls. it's kind of tedious work but if you use it, you will have very few weeds come up through the mulch. when i mulch, i use 5-6" so weeds aren't much of a problem. i've used the black plastic here and there but if you mulch heavy enough, i don't see the need for it.

now, if you're mulching where the weeds you sprayed are already dead, i don't see why you'd have to spend the time pulling them up.

Charlene,

That's music to my ears! Pulling weeds is worse than a root canal!
default_yes.gif

I am ditto-ing Charlene........Once the weeds are dead, you can cover them with a thick layer of bark dust.
default_yes.gif

if you can find cedar mulch, it's what i like to use because it is a natural bug repellent. and if you have access to a pick-up and a nursery, it's MUCH cheaper to buy it in bulk rather than in the bags. however, if you end up buying it in the bags, use the empty bags under the mulch. they serve much the same purpose as the black plastic landscaping stuff.

and when you get done there, would you care to come here and help me dig up cactus?? if you have thick enough gloves, that's better than a root canal too! :DOH!

I was told by a nursery to use black plastic only under rock and use landscape fabric under mulch. I guess for drainage I don't really know. Also I would love to use mulch around my foundation but heard that is draws insects and termites.I didn't know the cedar mulch actually repels the insects.Anyone herad any of this?

http://www.landscapedepotonline.com/mulch.htm

katie, i've used both plastic and fabric under mulch. when i used the plastic, i poked holes here and there. never thought to mention the difference here. :DOH!

also, because we live on sand, i put more mulch down than the average gardner simply because it holds moisture longer when it's thicker and i don't have to water quite as often.

Latest posts

Back