Laminate Flooring:)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi*

Reaction score
We share my Father's house with him and the carpet has been a topic of discussion my WHOLE life. This carpet has got to be the ugliest, oldest, dirtiest carpet EVER!
default_smileypuke.gif
It was pulled from a hotel and then put into this house probably 30 years ago!
default_new_shocked.gif
Hubby and I were finally able to buy some laminate flooring
default_aktion033.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_multi.gif
We have been waiting for the right time and it finally arrived! I can't tell you how happy I was to rip that carpet out!!! And you wouldn't believe the pee stains under it!!!!!!! No wonder we couldn't get our dogs to stop pooping on the carpet! It was so inviting with it's pee smell and all
default_wacko.png
We still have to complete the dining room but he finished the living room and hallway two days ago!!!!! I just can't believe the difference. We had lived with all of my Dad's crap piled up around us and we were getting cramped. So when I told my Father we were thinking of moving out he really didn't want us to. So I told him we would have to make some serious changes
default_yes.gif
We started by moving all of his old office stuff out so that we could make room for our stuff. He closed his business and he doesn't use any of it anymore. Anyways, I could ramble on and on about how happy I am
default_yes.gif
It's not completed in these pics but you get the idea! We still have to put the baseboards on but I just can't believe the difference!

Here are two pics of the room before we started. My Dad was never in this part of the house and so everything is just piled everywhere
default_new_shocked.gif

DSC05438.jpg

Here is a pic of the carpet and the hardwood floor that was underneath the carpet. I am telling you, it is the ugliest carpet!!!!!

DSC05973.jpg

Here is the living room with our NEW flooring
default_aktion033.gif
. The room is not put back together yet but hopefully you can see the difference!
default_yes.gif

DSC05989.jpg

Hallway

DSC06036.jpg

I am so proud of my husband
default_aktion033.gif
I can't wait till we get it all finished!

Brandi --

That looks awesome!!!!

We have hardwood floors throughout except in our kitchen which was just vinyl when we moved in but a few years ago, we had laminate installed. It took the professional guy quite awhile just to do that one room. Your husband rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jill

It looks fantastic. I love laminate. We had the same type problem as you, ugly old carpet, and boy did it make the house smell. We ripped it out and yuck, the look of the bottom of that carpet was almost enough to make you gag, lol. Many dollars later and some swearing by the hubby and I, I really like the look of it. Have you seen the laminate that looks like granite or ceramic tile? I want to get that for my bathroom, and possibly my daughters room. No more carpet for us unless they are little throw rugs for the tootsies in the winter.

Great job.
default_aktion033.gif

Vicki

It looks great!! I have been thinking of yanking up the carpet in the living room, dining room and hallway and replacing it with laminate. Just afraid of how much it would cost and I would have to hire someone to put it down.

Brandi your flooring looks great!!

We have laminate in almost all of our house and Love it!!

Its the best thing we have done! My husband did ours too.. Its nice to not have to pay someone to do it...

Very nice!

Hubby and I did it too. The actual floor part wasn't so bad, the trim and such was a tad harder. . . frustrated my guy but he got it done
default_smile.png

Ohhh boy---does that ever bring back memories of last year when we moved into this old farmhouse. There was carpet---red shag--covered with anything a dog or cat could leave on it. We had it ripped out, and there is the most beautiful fir flooring beneath it. Mind you--your hardwood floor before you put the laminate over it is gorgeous. The fir floor here has lost all it's finish.

Now i'm not sure what to do with this floor. Laminate looks so nice and easy to keep clean. As per these floors of ours, they have to be stripped and refinished. I'll see what' s cheaper anyways.

Your floor looks great Brandi, and I bet you are super duper happy about it
default_smile.png

Thanks everyone
default_biggrin.png

For us, the prep work was the most annoying and time consuming. There were so many staples in the hardwood and that old carpet was SO heavy! My husband was able to lay the laminate fairly quickly after all the prep work was done. The hard part for him was making the cuts the right size. He messed a few pieces up but for the most part it went pretty smoothly for him.

My Dad usually HATES any type of change but he really likes the new floor.
default_biggrin.png
He doesn't like having to find new places to stack all of his stuff in his half of the house but he can see the difference. I feel like we are living in a new house again
default_yes.gif

Jill!

I will have to show my husband your comment about the professional. That should make him feel good
default_wink.png

Kootenay.....The hardwood underneath our carpet actually didn't look too bad but it would have cost a lot to have it refinished and since we live in the country and have dogs we would of had to do it quite often. The vinyl was a much cheaper choice and I think it's going to hold up really well
default_yes.gif

Everything feels so much cleaner now
default_biggrin.png
We can walk around in our socks and not feel gross :DOH!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great! We did the same thing a couple of years ago. We pulled ALL the carpet from our house and out down laminate instead. The kitchen, bathroom and laundry room have vinyl flooring. I love it, quick to clean and actually is clean when I'm done. With kids and dogs I never felt like any amount of shampooing and vacuuming ever made the carpets clean.

Well done guys, that looks fantastic!

We are in the middle of renovating our house and replacing the carpets is one of the things I can't wait to do! I understand how you feel having pets inside. The old lady the owned the house prior to us was the 'cat lady'. Ewww, made me feel sick. We have ripped up most of the old flooring, just have the living room to do now.

Your hubby needs a pat on the back, he did an amazing job!

It looks great! That's what I want to do in the living room and den soo bad. That would make no

carpet at all on the first floor.

Shelley

It really looks beautiful!

Congrats!

Liz

That is really pretty Brandi - your hubby has done a great job. What kind of laminate is it? I have been looking at heading that route, but have to admit that I get pretty overwhelmed by the amount of choices out there!

Stac

Your hubby is doing a very nice job! we did the same thing. when we moved into our home it had blue shag carpet. we bought it from a couple in a divorce sale. all the family pics had old hubby cut out and new hubby glued in.[ she was in the process of divorcing new hubby.] anyway when we pulled up the carpet in the dining rm there was a huge red stain under the carpet. it gave my wife the creeps thinking that she had maybe not divorced first hubby! and we might run across him while digging in the yard someday! DR.PS we love our laminate . its so much easier to keep up, than even the old wood floors. I rember in my moms house every six mo we would have to move all the furnature and wax the floors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again everyone! I am so happy with it. My husband still hasn't had time to put the base boards on but soon enough it will be finished
default_yes.gif
It's just amazing what a difference it made in the whole feel of the house
default_yes.gif

Mountain Meadows....

It is made by Armstrong. We looked around for a long time doing price checks and really just trying to figure out what we liked and what would look good in our house. Luckily, a lot of the flooring stores have samples that you can take home to see what they actually look like in your house. The one we chose is a middle grade one. It was more expensive than we originally set out to spend but through all the research we decided that you really do get what you pay for. We LOVED one made by Bruce which is the same company as Armstrong. It had the same stamp (grain) pattern but it wasn't as red and it had a glossy finish. Very pretty! But after some thinking we decided that the glossy finish just wouldn't go well at all in this country home. Especially with our dogs. So just take your time. You will find the right one. And make sure and shop competitively. Those stores will compete for your business. We got this particular flooring for much cheaper than they were asking just by telling them what the other store had offered us.
default_yes.gif

Wow that looks great!!! Its amazing the difference that it makes over a carpet. I replaced our carpet in the den and vinyl in the kitchen with laminate 2 years ago , also Armstrong, and I love it. Only bad is that in the morning sun, it shows anything on it LOL However upkeep is a cinch, I just go over it with a damp floor wipe every few days and once a month or so, use a wood floor cleaner ( we have 2 dogs and this is our main room). I used a sound/vapor barrier under mine and it sure helps. Tell hubby good going!

We also invested in a very good underlayment (sound barrier). It is not nearly as loud when we walk as I thought it would be.
default_yes.gif

Wow that looks great!!! Its amazing the difference that it makes over a carpet. I replaced our carpet in the den and vinyl in the kitchen with laminate 2 years ago , also Armstrong, and I love it. Only bad is that in the morning sun, it shows anything on it LOL However upkeep is a cinch, I just go over it with a damp floor wipe every few days and once a month or so, use a wood floor cleaner ( we have 2 dogs and this is our main room). I used a sound/vapor barrier under mine and it sure helps. Tell hubby good going!

That looks very nice. I like the color you painted the walls too...looks great!

I have it in my kitchen and I love it, its easy to clean and always looks nice, thinking about putting it in my dining room and living room. My daughter also has it and it looks great in her kitchen/ dining room.

Latest posts

Back