Lame Horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kippy

Reaction score
My quarter horse gelding is very sore this morning. He is 15 years old and has been having trouble with stiffness in the shoulders for a year or two. He is on a supplement for his joints, but I ran out and it is backordered so he has been without it for a couple weeks. Anyway, this morning when I went out to feed, he was lame in front. When I watched him walk, it looked like it was in his left front leg, but after I put him in the cross ties and really checked him, I think it is his right front that is hurting him. The reason I think that is because he won't let me get the left leg up to check it. He acts like it hurts too much to put weight on the right leg. However, I can pick up the right leg and I checked it really well. There are no cuts, no swelling, no heat in the foot or anywhere in the leg. I flexed it and he didn't react to it. There is also no heat or swelling in the left leg either. I could barely get that leg up so I didn't get a clear look at it, but the bottom of his foot looked normal as far as the quick glance I got would let me judge. I put some linament on his leg and shoulder and let him back out. I was afraid that stalling him would make him stiffen up more. He ate well and seems bright eyed and cheerful, but is quite sore.

The vet is scheduled to be here on Friday for checkups for health certificates for the minis for a couple of upcoming shows. I know he can check Bandi then, but if he isn't better by tomorrow, I'll probably take him up to the office. Any suggestions or advice? I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

Cheryl

Gosh, without actually seeing the horse, or seeing how he moves, it is pretty hard to say. It could be almost anything!! If you felt no heat, and if there is no swelling, there doesn't seem to be any point in soaking. I think you did right by turning him out, if he has a history of joint soreness. The movement would surely help at least a little and it is more fun for him to be turned out.

I've had many horses with this "just not really sure" type of lameness and it has turned out to be all KINDS of different things. I am not much help, but I will say nearly all the horses I knew got better after the problem was diagnosed.

Sometimes animals can have a rebound pain effect when meds/supplements are stopped. Its like their nerves get used to only a certain amount of pain stimulus, then when there is no more meds, the nerve endings go into overdrive for a bit trying to figure things out ( personal experience also) Similar to how an addict can have withdrawels, but obviously not nearly that severe. I would see if you can get a similar supplement to tide you over, maybe MSM or what ever it was, in human form from Wal-Mart ( usde to give that to my ol gelding) Best of luck! Heather

Thanks so much for your replies Jacquee' and Heather. I know it is really hard to give an opinion when you can't see the horse. It is hard enough when you can see how they are going. I've noticed he trips sometimes under saddle, but does much better when on the supplement. I had never thought of any kind of rebound effect. Great point. I'll get something to start him on right away. I shouldn't have left him so long without something. They just kept saying "it will be in by..." and I kept letting it go. Thanks for the advice and encouragement.

Cheryl

Man don't you hate when that happens? Sure wish they could talk and say "it's hurting here, it's here!"

Just a sidenote: Sometimes horses become immune to these joint supplements and need to be changed around or add another one to the present one to keep them working.

That said I think you should check the bottom of his feet for an abcess. Pick up the hoofs, clean them out really good and hold them in your hands and see if there is some heat coming from under there. Poke around on it with the end of a screwdriver and press down on them hard with your thumbs and see if he flinches and acts like there is an owey coming from either one of those. Dig around there really really good with the tip of the hoof pic too. Do you see anything weird or any bloody type places? If he does react to the pokeing around, then chances are you have an abcess on your hands and that is totally painful. If he does then come on back to the board for abcess first aid ideas ok?

Thanks Marty. Yes, if they could only talk... I swear he tried to tell me, but I just didn't get it. He was very lovey tonight and wanting attention. He is a big goof anyway and such a klutz. Of all my horses, he is the one who always comes in with bumps and scratches. He is a really nice boy though and much loved. This afternoon I rubbed some DSMO (DMSO ? - my memory is slipping). Anyway, I think he may be allergic to it - this evening he had hives! He has never had hives. My QH mare gets them ocassionally, but never this guy. Luckily I keep meds on hand for Katie and I gave him that. I just came back in from checking him and the hives had gone down a bit. Poor Bandi can't catch a break. He was in a good mood though and tried to eat my shoe. He may be 15, but he still acts like a silly kid. LOL

Maybe you are right and I should change supplements. He has been on it for a while so maybe a change would be a good idea. Plus, this one seems to be hard to find here. It would be easier to find something else. I'm using DAC Multiflex. Is there one you would recommend?

He seemed to be moving more freely tonight and had less of a limp, but he is still not up to par - not by a long shot.

Tomorrow I'll do as you said and check him out good for signs of an abcess. Thanks for your advice - it is MUCH appreciated.

Cheryl

Kippy said:
Tomorrow I'll do as you said and check him out good for signs of an abscess.  Thanks for your advice - it is MUCH appreciated.

Cheryl

420831[/snapback]

that is always my first thought when my horse goes lame of course he goes from sound to like 3 legged lame and is KING of the abscess he has one right now as well sigh

hope you find out what it is soon

Maybe you are right and I should change supplements. He has been on it for a while so maybe a change would be a good idea.

Oppsie, I read what you said wrong. Don't change a thing if it's working for you.

If it aint broke don't fix it.

Anyway, I think he may be allergic to it - this evening he had hives!

I'm thinking you burned him using that stuff...or allergic reaction or something.

DMSO, eeks and a major P U to that stuff.....now that is something I really hate to mess with. Be very careful there of using meds when you aren't sure of what you are giving ok?

What supplement do you use? I have used Next Level with my show jumpers and a few older horses, it works wonders and it can usually be found quite easiily. Petsmart usually carries it as well as almost every catalog I've gotten this year. If you don't have a petsmart near you, try Dover Saddlery, I know they have a web site, I believe it is www.doversaddlery.com
smile.gif
Good luck to ya
biggrin.gif

Well thanks everyone for the help. Bandi is moving quite a bit better this morning and the hives are almost completely gone. I checked him again and still can't find any sensitivity, swelling or heat in his feet or legs. I'm really starting to think the problem is in his right shoulder. When I talked to the vet tech yesterday she said "it is almost never the shoulder" and sort of blew that idea off, but the way he moves just says "shoulder' to me. Our vet will be back in the office first of the week so I will talk to him to see what he thinks. Also, he will be here on Friday so we can start trying to narrow this down then. I'm thinking we will need to have X-rays to get to the bottom of it, but we'll see. Of course, if Bandi doesn't continue to improve today, I'll see about taking him in before Friday.

Marty, I'm sure you are right about the DMSO irritating his skin. I've never used it before, but tried it on advice from another "horse person". I'm usually so paranoid about my horses - and this is a perfect example of why. I washed the area off last night and after two doses of antihist granuals, he is looking MUCH better - just a few small, light welts left. Lesson learned. I'll never touch Katie with that stuff after this; now there is a girl who knows how to have an allergic reaction!

Secret Hills Ranch - thanks for the suggestion on the supplement. I will see if anyone local has the Next Level. I am currently using Dac Optimumflex and it has done pretty well for him, but I still wonder if I should try something else. I know what Marty means about not messing with what works and I agree, but I'm still hoping for something that will do more for the boy. He is only 15 and I hate to see him having this much trouble already. Other than this he is a rock solid healthy horse. He has one of those bay coats that just glows.
wub.gif

Lisa - thanks & I hope your boy's foot is better very soon.

Cheryl

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back