Lady and Dyna update

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got the call from the vet. The news is quite good. The vet got the test results (she sent blood out on Friday but....) and Lady's triglyceride levels have dropped significantly. So that means the treatment is working but she is still not eating and being tubed and has the IV in. Her udder is full but not hot nor engorged so it is our belief she was already drying up in spite of Dyna nursing. No wonder the poor little thing was losing weight. The vet was planning to pull blood again today and send it out for testing since the tests were run on blood drawn on Friday. Hopefully the change will be even greater from day one until now. Love this vet, so willing to discuss the treatment and why she is choosing to do what she is. Will consider all the options and think it out with me as to why one course of action may be more appropriate than another. I am feeling decidedly optimistic. today. :D

Yeah Lady
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Hope the news continues to be good!!!

I hate to post today since putting this down in type will make it so much more real to me. Lady has begun to deteriorate. She has continued to drop weight and now is showing colicy signs which has the vet very concerned that there is an underlying cause that we were unaware of (she spoke of displacement altho I didn't ask for more detail and only assumed she meant the intestines were shifted around by the foal and that was the trigger.) She sent a follow up sample of blood to the lab and the results that came back are not good. Her triglyceride levels have skyrocketed again and are even higher now than they were when we first took her in. That means that our treatment that seemed to be helping until now is not working. If the minor colicy signs she is showing now don't resolve or actually get worse by morning we are considering the option of letting her go. I can't believe it has come to this when just yesterday it seemed we might have turned the corner.
default_crybaby.gif

I'll post more after I talk to the vet in the morning, right now there really isn't anything else to say and I am feeling a bit numb (which has sobbing beat I guess
default_sad.png
)

I am so sorry to hear the update you have written. I am sure you and your vet will choose the best outcome for your mare.

There are many of us that have been in your shoes at one time or another, it is never easy.

I'll be sure to keep you in my thoughts and prayers tonight.

Carolyn

I'm so sorry to read this update
default_sad.png
I hope there's some way the news in the morning can be better!

WOOOHOOOO!!!! Lady is no longer showing signs of pain. Vet called early to say she is doing much better and lets not give up on her just yet. Thinks it must have been discomfort from having had an empty gut for so long and now with the tubing she is getting it back into working order. That doesn't change the triglyceride levels but it means we can keep fighting for her without worrying that we are making her suffer in a battle that she will probably loose. Vets words were "I'd like another day, lets not give up on her yet." My response was "YES! Absolutely!" We are concerned about the underlying cause of this whole thing and she is sending blood out to see if more complex tests can tell us something more. She is feeling bad because she hasn't been able to focus solely on one thing but I think as long as we continue to explore the different possibilities we might just find the key to beating this thing. Meanwhile we are treating all the obvious symptoms and she has her on IV dextrose, and a broad spectrum antibiotic. She has been tubing her with a slurry made of senior feed but in light of her higher triglycerides has decided to switch it to corn syrup and water to get rid of the last of the fats. I've been thinking about suggesting she add a little beat pulp to that to keep some fiber going thro the system. Thanks for your continuing support. I think all the prayers may have done more than we know since I was pretty braced to make the hard choice today and now I get a reprieve.

Latest posts

Back