Lack of Shows and Wanting to Do Something About It

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourluckyhorseshoes

Reaction score
This summer my plan was to go to 2 horse shows: a small, local show in VA and the World Class Registry World Show. After being disappointed with the first one and the WC show being canceled a week before the show, something told me it is time to do something. Why are there so few mini shows in Virginia? I know for the first time this year there was a rated show in VA, but besides that there are a few 4-H shows and one mini/pony show. I’m not trying to talk bad about these shows but why can’t there be a nice, affordable, well-run show for minis and ponies? At this point in time I am not looking to qualify for Nationals/Worlds, so rated shows don’t interest me. I like how well organized they are and participation levels, but I want to have the fun atmosphere (and less expensive) of a non-rated show.

My farrier hosts horse shows at his farm and I am seriously thinking of proposing the idea of hosting a miniature horse show. I would do all the advertising, management, and things like that and he would provide the facility, insurance etc. His wife is also an open show judge so that’s another plus. I would like to earn a few hundred dollars profit, but I’m realistic and don’t plan to get rich. I plan on sharing the earnings with the site owner.

The Question: Am I crazy? Is it worth trying to put on a horse show? Is this a normal trend or problem? What do people WANT? Any comments or suggestions would be great.

I'm not sure about now a days but back in the day there was an organization called Northern Neck Show butt. they put on several shows a year for all breeds. Maybe you could google open shows in your area, believe me the minis win hands down over the big guys at open shows. Also google for 4-h open shows in your area. It doesn't have to be an all mini show or does it for you? There used to be a Shanadoah mini horse butt that hosted shows in Va. but I think they are gone, check into Old Domion Mini Club they just hosted a mini show and ares starting to get going with shows.

I just got my 2 minis a year ago and they are only yearlings now but someday I would like to show my Misty. I live in Va and would like it if there were shows here too. Even though I am not ready to show mine yet I would love to go to watch. I grew up with the big guys but I am new to minis and showing them is very different but looks like fun!!

In my area and others, the open shows have been loosing their shirts financially and lots of them shut down because they couldn't break even. One thing though, if you have a miniature show, the people will be expecting a legit miniature judge. I know I would. A lot of open show judges wouldn't have a clue on how to properly judge a miniature so if you are advertising a miniature show you need to deliver a miniture judge. Not sure how the rated shows are doing in attendance and finances but don't sell them short. They can be plenty of fun and educational too.

That said, I feel your pain and love your enthusiasm. Good luck

I don't think you are crazy. Maybe you could see if the 4H shows can expand or help out so that you can do more. Same with the one pony/mini show.

ANOTHER venue completely for in-hand classes - check out the hunter classes at hunter pony shows (some of those - you'd not be able to stretch your mini and it may not be appropriate for your mini at all). We presented most of our 1/2 Shetlands as hunter type ponies for several years - and they not only did well, but usually sold well, too. One year, I even pulled AJ's mane (our first stallion - mid-teens at the time) and showed him at several shows - generated interest and he got off the "farm" and LOVED IT! If nothing else, you'd get your "hooves wet".

I'm surprised - no driving shows?

Can you also send me info on the pony/mini show? Where? what classes etc?

We seem to have several organizations here in NC for having Open Horse Shows. Two right here in my area... 30 miles away for the one in Wade, NC. 45 miles to the Johnston Cty Fairgrounds and 46 miles to the Hunt Horse Complex in Raleigh.

One incorporated pony classes (walk/trot; w/t/canter - eng or western - ponies can go up to 14.2 hh and sometimes it's gotten a bit wild...) + when asked brought in Mini classes (halter). It worked sometimes - but both the pony and mini participation disappeared (or rather - goes up and down). They didn't/don't have driving classes and driving isn't planned for the agenda anytime soon. Nor do they have trail classes - in hand or under saddle. It's basically a small, one day show that's pretty much kept the same classes for over 30 years. Some of the classes have been changed or added. Huntseat on the flat, cross rail jumping, verticle to 2'6", hunter hack, a total of 5 halter classes (I think... Can update tomorrow), 3 showmanship classes, western classes - pleasure & a patterned horsemanship class. Then gaited horse classes interspersed thru the western classes. The halter usually starts after lunch - around 1 ish. The judges are certified by the Open judges program here in NC - many are also carded judges in other breeds. As open show judges, they must be able to differentiate and judge ALL horse breeds (including minis and ponies) - though appear to go more with type (hunter, stock, saddle <arab, SB, morgan> and gaited). They also have to have knowledge of gaited horses - different types gaits and conformation. This particular show has done fairly well over the years. Sometimes they get sponsors (UMHA - a gaited horse organization) sponsors quite a number of classes now and they've had upwards of 30+ horses in their VERY SMALL, grass arena! The show grounds are 11 acres of wooded area, a "clubhouse" with large cement floored seating area with heat and air, a kitchen and 2 bathrooms. There is a 40' round pen made out of 4 strands of rope attached to wooden posts. There are two separate, but small, seating areas with ... grandstand type seating. The announcers booth is a 2 story wooden affair along one side of the arena. The property "housing" the organization is owned by a couple that farm the rest of their property - when we've had tons of rain and the ground is saturated - there is always at least one "rig" that gets stuck and one or more tractors are brought in to pull them out. For the most part the grounds are beautiful and the shows pleasant. They start at 9:45 on Sunday morning and it's usually over before 6 PM. The club members maintain the grounds, the club members donate some food and run the concessions from the big grill that is stored there. There are 4 shows a year - the class list remains the same throughout the year and there are year end awards. MOST of the shows DO earn a profit... Even if it's only $200 after the judge is paid, the light bill is paid, the 2 extra Porta-johns are paid and the food for the concession (burgers, dogs, cheese, buns, soda, water, coffee, condiments, chips, paper goods). This past year - many changes were installed and participation of beginners has now disappeared - with the tried and true regulars bringing their regular mounts and halter horses. I've been a member for several years now (help with upkeep of the grounds on a regular basis) and I've worked in the show office. My daughters have helped in the concession (s), done cleaning/maintenance, handed out ribbons, handled the gate at beginning/end of classes, checked coggins paperwork. This organization also does several trail rides per year - with several being long weekend affairs that are up in the mountains here in NC or VA. The girls and I have gone on several of their day trip rides - when we were riding on a regular basis. I've done a couple of drives with them where driving could be done on the trail rides. Currently they don't have a website. I know that the largest show they ever had was 367 entries (last year) and the smallest - 65 entries (hurricane a coming! several years ago. Yes that one LOST money - didn't even cover the judges' fee). I think the last time our one daughter showed there was in 2008, the first time our oldest showed was in 1998. I'm hoping to get our grand daughters showing there soon! LOVE the leadline class - right after lunch. It's fun and every child gets a ribbon. We've seen various dress and ages - one as young as 13 months and had a side walker on each side (Mom's BIG horse).

Some pics of ours competing - these 3 are all 1/2 shetlands, our oldest daughter showed our Arab mare, 14.1 hh (not pictured) - The 1st two pics are from Nov & Oct 2000.

1c96.jpg
7dc4.jpg
04Apr4ApacheDira24.jpg

I couldn't pass up this one...

4059.jpg

Another group in our area has taken off and really GROWN. Also started as a pretty "simple" one day format, it's often at least 2 days. They started catering to the hunter folk many years ago, but as the other participation grew, they've added an extra day. Looks like they've added Dressage to their show lists as well as held their first Gaming show on Aug 3rd. They also now go up to the Hunt Horse Complex (Raleigh Fairgrounds) for at least one, think two this year, shows/year. They now have a separate Mini show w/ each of their shows. While the minis aren't required to be registered, I've been told that my larger Shetlands and overgrown minis don't qualify. They do have driving classes - the halter is held in a roped off arena I believe with a mini judge but not positive on that. They have trail in hand and jumping in hand. I don't know if they have obstacle driving. I haven't been to a full show with them in quite some time as it often coincides with other activities, but they DO have a site and you could talk with either Michelle or her husband, Blaine, about the Mini show(s) and how they run it. Here is their website: Johnston County Horse Show Series (JCHSS) The Johnston County grounds have really improved over the years and it's not a hot, clay (RED) dust bowl anymore. There are several vendors that go to the shows now and usually one has Mini stuff! I'm assuming they are at least "breaking even" or there is no way they could afford to have the shows... but I don't know and again haven't been a member or a competitor with their organization in years. (I did some more pics in another post)

There are a couple of new ones, too. One is concentrating on the Natural Horse and Agility stuff. The last time I checked, theirs seemed really expensive - at the time, I couldn't swing it with other things we were doing (when I figured out different horse(s), 2 teen children and myself came to around $600 for about a 4 hour show - not including gas for 1 hour drive or food). I will have to search for a link.

There is also the Piedmont Saddle Club - that hosts open shows from their show arena (about 2 hours away from us). I don't know much about their shows - was going to go check them out as they often hold the ECMHC meetings at their club set up... Piedmont Saddle Club

Let us know how your search for shows OR putting on shows goes!! I'd love to know.

Show pics - JCHSS - I don't have but a couple of pics on-line - First in 2002 - a mini sized Shetland mare that I leased out that year, till he outgrew her.

21fc.jpg
ed92.jpg

And the 1/2 Shetland ponies - we hauled to 3 JCHSS shows that year, but only got these pics (from someone else)... We completely missed both pony only shows in 2005 - 1st one - we lost a 2 month old colt that we had to take care of and the 2nd - think there were school activity conflicts. I just remember we didn't end up going to very few shows in 2005...

4422.jpg
Vixen04Apr17KatieJCHSSTwoTrackTo.jpg

a891.jpg

Those are some of the pics... We had taken a couple of other ponies at other tmes - I don't have any pictures. I think JCHSS now also has a couple of different people taking pics (that can be purchased).

I want to plan on using these shows to take some of our babies to to get them out and about. It will help me get over my own "jitters" and get the babies off the farm and used to being hauled and standing at the trailer. Plus they'll be seen again...
default_yes.gif

No you're not crazy! Raising horses is a lot of work and it is very disappointing when you have no place to show off your hard work and dedication. Try thinking outside the box...explore any and all open shows in your area, try pinto shows and performance classes, maybe showmanship and in hand classes. Many of the local fairs and clubs have begun to offer mini classes and incorporate mini/pony friendly classes into their prize lists in my area. Try posting something on facebook and maybe others in your area will also share enough interest to get the fairs and clubs to add mini classes.

I agree with you. That's why I bought my one and only mini. I was told I could show him in halter classes. He is a grade and now that I've had him for 3 years I see that he isn't show material. I was also thinking of finding someone in my area to learn how to properly show and purchase a quality horse but no luck in that either. Also there aren't any shows that are local anyway. I wish I had done more research before jumping in. At least my little man has a job, he's a great companion.

Most people who put on horse shows hope to make money to support other activities or themselves. In my area there is a group that has been doing open horse shows for over 30 years.Mini owners approached them about adding Mini halter classes several years ago.It was 1st just 1 Mini registered halter class.Now it has grown to Mini halter registered(AMHA orAMHR) unregistered Mini halter,Minis are included in driving classes,Mini obstacle(our club supplies obstacles) Mini jumping(jumps supplied) High point awards at end of year.They make LOTS of money from the Minis(last show had 14 registered halter Minis)You have to get several people to support it to make it worth their trouble.You have to be willing to take the judges they get for other breeds, but you gotta start somewhere.Putting on shows is VERY expensive and grounds are hard to find.Mini people are spoiled and many expect covered or indoor facilities with stalls.Most hunter jumper and pony people are used to showing in a field or some fenced pasture on a farm with horses tied to trailers.Not so ex[pensive that way.Start small and grow.It is very difficult for a small club to host a show.You need people to work and when they are working it is difficult to show.good luck-hope to can find a solution.

I used to help coordinate several AMHR-sanctioned shows a year up in western Wisconsin and eastern Minnesota. It's TOTALLY exhausting and for the most part, thankless work. People are glad they have a place to show, but even if put on by a club....good luck in finding anyone willing to do any of the "grunt" work, and believe me, there is a lot of that. And then there is the expense, even if it is a non-sanctioned show. Show grounds, liability insurance, judges, ring steward, gate person, announcer (sometimes people will volunteer...but that's not often), prizes/ribbons/trophies, loudspeaker rental...the list is endless. And then there is always the exhibitor that wants to be treated "special". PA-LEEZ.....they put their pants on one leg at a time, just like everyone else. So, it's easy to get burned out, not to mention BROKE from putting on shows.

Yep, even the fun shows are a lot of work to put on. They aren't quite as expensive as the sanctioned shows....fewer classes, most likely, which means fewer ribbons to buy, a local judge so you won't have airfare or hotel costs, but there are all the things Jean listed that you will have to pay for (liability insurance alone is not cheap, and you really do not want to host a show without the proper liability insurance to protect you) -- if I were you I would not think about having a profit at the end of the show, but rather be concerned about whether you will have enough money to pay for everything.

One thing to keep in mind with using a local person to judge a local fun show--it becomes a problem because if that judge has any affiliation with anyone who is showing, there will be talk/complaints about how that judge just picked his friends. I can't tell you how many times I have heard that complaint here this year, about a couple of different shows--the judge that seems like a perfect choice to you may not go over so well with others (yes, that can happen with sanctioned shows too, but odds are a little better when the judges come from different parts of the country and have no affiliation with anyone showing). Sometimes it is better to bring in a judge from a different part of the state--just something I have observed in many years of showing at a variety of breed and open shows, local fairs, etc.

¸You do need to make sure you have enough people to work at the show, because it does not work well at all if the people running the show are also trying to show their horses--as said, you may be able to find volunteers (we do manage to get volunteers, for the most part, for our rated shows here but sometimes we scramble to do it). Many of the shows here do pay their workers--they have to, or they wouldn`t have anyone to do the work. You have to have people that are good at the job they`re doing--because nothing turns exhibitors off faster than a show secretary who gets the paperwork completely mixed up.

Instead of trying to create a whole new show, is there some Open show that you could talk to the management and see if they can add classes for minis? In our area (New England) we have several to pick from. I wonder if the mini classes we asked to have added to the Westfield MA Fair in 2006 or 2007 had anything to do with it? At that time we proposed adding a mini division and we guaranteed 3 entries. The classes were (I think) halter, hunter, trail, and disciplined rail. Fast forward to 2013 and there is a mini division in a 2-show series in Westfield MA and 3 mini divisions in a 5-show series in Goshen, MA. Then we found another show series with a mini division with 3 classes and several shows that moves around CT locations. Of course these shows also offer halter and showmanship classes that are open to minis, and sometimes if you ask they can arrange for their trail classes to run "in-hand", especially if they already have one for youngsters. The other advantage of going this route (besides the lack of financial risk) is the opportunity to show big horse people how much fun you can have with a mini!! At one of these shows we were the only entry in mini driving, but I went in anyway and afterwards heard someone say "i didn't know a mini could look like that driving".

Can't tell where you are in Virginia.The East Coast Miniature Horse Club has an Open Miniature Horse Show every Fall called the Spooktacular. This year it is October 12 at the Lone Hickory Arena in Yadkinville, NC. You can get info on it at ecmhc.com, or the club's Facebook page. The fees are reasonable & it's an all around "Fun" show. $25 for horse/exhibitor combination and you can enter as many classes as you want.The regular classes are also only $8 each if you don't want the flat fee.

Lots of folks from Virginia come to our rated shows as well in Williamston NC. One is in April & the other in June. We offer novice non-rated classes at both shows. The NC State Fair in Raleigh, also has 2 miniature days this year. October 23 for AMHR and Open minis and the 24th for AMHA minis.

When our club got started, there was only 1 rated show in all of SC,NC, Virginia, Tenn, Georgia. We have worked to promote all miniature horses. An organized group with a "purpose" is the best way to get anything done. We all started somewhere.

AMHA also has an easy way to have a small 1 day show. They are called Community Shows. The following is from the AMHA Rule Book page 84-85

You can also have non-rated classes along with the rated ones. You'd have a judge that knows "how" to judge as well as opportunities for new folks to get their feet wet in the mini show world.
D3.
AMHA Community Shows (limited to one (1) day
The following Open classes shall be required:
1 class for stallions, all ages and heights*
1 class for mares, all ages and heights
1 class for geldings, all ages and heights
Grand and Reserve Champion Miniature at Halter**(non-pointed

1 Halter Obstacle class
1 Obstacle Driving class
1 Pleasure (Single, Country or Classic) Driving class
1 Hunter class
1 Jumper class
Grand and Reserve Champion Performance Horse***(non-
pointed)
*In Youth only shows, the stallion halter class shall not be offered:
it may be replaced by a Showmanship or other recognized AMHA
Youth class.
**First and second place winners from the stallion, mare and
gelding halter classes.
***Based on points earned, as per the AMHA rule book regarding
horses actually competing, in offered performance classes.
Additional classes, such as Youth and/or Amateur in Open shows,
may be added at the discretion of the show manager, so long as
such classes do not extend the show beyond the one-day time
period.
As per AMHA show rules, no horse shall be penalized if it is shown
without clipping and/or balding.
For the purpose of recording points, show managers “must”
provide the AMHA office with accurate information on the age
and height of all horses to ensure awarding AMHA points in the
appropriate halter/performance classes. It is recommended this
be accomplished by requiring the exhibitor to indicate on all entry
forms those classes for which the horse qualifies for points as listed