Lacey gives final approval on the new mode of travel for mini and cart!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studiowvw

Reaction score
What to do when your trailer dies: scooter ramp load and truck box, leaving room for the cart.

She travelled well in the box, I think it will be less stressful than the trailer. There is room for the two of them travelling sideways, but I haven't put in a partition yet.

That looks pretty slick
default_yes.gif
Are there vents/side windows to give them good ventilation? I wonder if some areas (not necessarily yours but mine for example) would have a regulation about how far out that ramp sits from the tailgate once every thing is in place for travel. It would be worth looking into before heading out I think.

there's a front window that lets air through, plus the gate has gaps top and bottom. I'm planning to add a side window next on the non-traffic side.

Never thought about regulations - the ramp is a scooter carrier sold for carrying wheelchair or scooter by hitch receptacle, and has reflectors, so I assume it is fine.

I may add a flag just to alert followers to the length of it.

I'm also planning to put something on it that I can see from the mirror to remind myself that it's there
default_smile.png

I may add a flag just to alert followers to the length of it. Good idea
default_smile.png
I think if it is flagged the length will not be an issue

I'm also planning to put something on it that I can see from the mirror to remind myself that it's there
default_smile.png
This is really something I'd need... I always worry when we leave a hitch in the receiver and we are backing into a parking spot at the mall.
The best part of your system is how simple it would be for someone not comfortable pulling a trailer to get to shows etc. We modified a canopy a few years back and it worked well but we didn't have a ramp (had to back up to banks etc. to load/unload) and it left no room for carts.

Yes, I am happy to not haul a trailer! I dread hitching and turning around in the yard, also the truck uses more gas pulling a trailer.

Of course, some "prior and proper preparation" is required for teaching the horse to go up the ramp and into the truck. I found standing on the other side had her ending up facing off the other side of the carrier. Standing next to the truck helps her to turn toward the truck box. She is used to being sent into the trailer.

I also put a board up as a visual guide so she would be less likely to step off the back.

When I have Diesel ready for loading, I'll probably put up a higher guide so he doesn't make a mistake and fall off the side. Right now I'm starting him on going partway up the ramp, also I'm having him walk across a piece of docking about 2 x 4 feet, with a thin pole under it so it acts like a low teeter totter. He doesn't mind the bit of motion it makes. Just simulating some of the sounds and feel of getting on the truck.

When I was about 4/5 ( 40 + yrs ago ) my grandfather raised minis and we showed them in the pony leadline class under saddle at open horse shows. The mini I rone was 34" and would jump in the back off the truck with no ramp and a topper that was the same hight as the cab. We hauld them all over the country for years that way.

Wow, you were a lucky little kid
default_smile.png

I've heard of them jumping into the truck bed or into a mini van, but mine's a little high for that. I could probably back up to a hill and she'd get in, but you can't always find a suitable hill.

I think she's traveling a lot better in the truck - I can see her in the mirror as she looks into the cab.

As she is now traveling in the centre of 4 wheels, the ride is more stable than my old trailer and she doesn't get that agitated attitude when I load her.

Latest posts

Back