"Kody Does Evergreen"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbyhorse23

Reaction score
What a fun weekend! I overslept drastically on Friday morning so I ended up leaving the house about an hour after the show had started. Partway down Liz (nootka) called my cell to see where I was and updated me on Mouse's Championship and Alladdin's antics in the color class and promised to keep an eye on the classes for me. I figured I was going to miss my driving obstacle class and probably the Disciplined Rail class as well but decided I'd try to make it and hope for the best. For once the horse was completely clipped and my harness was all polished but he was a little dustball and badly in need of a bath. Thanks in major part to the volunteer efforts of Kim and Hillary of the Crabby Chicken Ranch (okay, I drafted them!), Kody was bathed, hoof blacked, Show Sheened, spit-shined, harnessed, warmed up and ready to go when our first class arrived. Thanks guys!! :aktion033: I couldn't have done it without you.

Our driving obstacle class wasn't pretty with a lot of pivoting, putting your wheels through poles, and backing through things (the three tasks we are the worst at right now) but Kody tried hard and really didn't do that badly. There were only two of us and I was told the other horse had done even worse so everyone said I was a shoe-in for the blue. Unfortunately the judges didn't agree with each other so to the surprise of both drivers we split the class with each horse getting a 1st and a 2nd. Oh well! Hey, at least I got a 1st without being the only horse in the class for once. :lol: Sadly the Disciplined Rail class didn't go as well as I'd hoped and while I did place it wasn't very high (4th and 5th out of 6). Still, I'd made my classes and Kody showed improvement since Pacific Crown and certainly since the year before. I was happy.

I was especially happy since this show was sandwiched between an arena driving trial in Duvall the previous Sunday and the Beavercreek CDE this next weekend so in order to maintain our stretchy dressage frame I hadn't been able to practice with a check at all. You really can't blame a working horse for being annoyed over suddenly having a check put on, wearing a less comfortable harness, and having straight shafts poking into his shoulders without breeching on every maneuver when he's used to nicely curved ones. He was really quite patient except for tossing his head all the time the first day! I finally surrendered and loosened the check for the last two days and his headset was, ironically, much steadier.

We had Stallion/Gelding Country Pleasure on Saturday morning and got unanimous 5th's out of 7, then of course did not place in Ladies Country Pleasure which I had gone in just to pass the time. I was very proud of him in that class though, he gave me the best drive he's ever offered in the breed ring. His head was steady, he stopped trying to rush the pleasure trot, he bent softly on each corner, and on the lengthened trot there were whole sections of rail where I felt him drop his croup, elevate his forehand and really lengthen stride to a rhythmic, suspended gait that was lovely to feel from the driver's seat. I was grinning like an idiot when I came out despite getting the gate. Here's one of the professional pictures that really shows it:

Kody showing suspension

I know his head and hip look awful there and his neck muscles were inverted, but look at his feet! For him that's a big deal and the correct headset with check will come with time. Here are some of the other professional driving pictures I liked. The photographer at this show was great.

Picture 1- overbent but pretty!

Picture 2

Picture 3- I could easily lower his head a bit further and do very well in the Western Country Pleasure class I think...if only they'd offer it!
default_frusty.gif
:

I think part of the reason he was so cooperative in that Ladies class was that I took him outside and warmed him up in the field and under the trees instead of in the arena so he was in a good mood when we started. Liz was an absolute ANGEL and agreed to come outside and try and get some still pictures of me and Kody in our new show cart for my album. Boy, did she succeed! :new_shocked: :aktion033:
default_wub.png
: Thank you Liz, I think these shots of Kody are just great.

Trotting out up a hill- look at the reach on those legs!

Strong trot, kinda cool photo

Isn't this a cool effect on that same photo?

Can we say, "Big Horse?"

And finally, completing a spin around a tree at speed

That night was Liberty and we were the last horse to go out of 24 competitors. I don't think we even hit the ring until after 10:30PM but somewhere in there I forgot to look at my watch.
default_wacko.png
: It was pleasantly cool by that point and all the horses were full of beans, many of them refusing to be caught and getting themselves disqualified. Kody was in a good mood and hot to trot as we finally hit the ring so I knew we were going to have a decent run. I turned him loose and he took off galloping, constantly switching directions in big figure eights and buzzing Liz (levitating and shaking his crest each time she swished the bag at him) and just generally having fun. I figured out partway into the run that he really was paying attention to me and I could direct him from the far end of the ring to dodge one way or another so I started controlling his movements and getting him to do more of those wild thundering "Which way's he gonna go?" kind of changes of direction which he always enjoys. He broke to this big floaty power trot along one wall and the audience whooped for him, sending him galloping off the other way in a big arc. Of course this is when the music finally stopped and I crossed my mental fingers that he'd do something spectacular like he did in our first Liberty class. I hollered something classy like "Kody, here boy!"
default_rolleyes.gif
: and he swung his head my way and changed course to gallop by the judge's booth gaining speed all the way. I thought he was going to buzz right by me and scoot another round so I dropped to a crouch and snapped my fingers in a "come in" posture as he blew by, then watched in pleasure and amazement as he pulled himself up into a beautiful collected canter and spiraled directly in to me like I had turned on some sort of gravitational field. The canter became that airy showoff trot and he stopped dead right in front of me to wait for the halter with perfect manners. I think it took me all of 10 seconds to lay hands on him from the time the music stopped with him on the opposite end of the ring.

I could not have been more thrilled and was perfectly content with the assumption that we'd get the gate in that kind of elite competition. All I cared about was that he'd done what I'd asked him to and also showed some of our friends who haven't seen him go before that he really can turn it on when he wants to. The first judge's card was read and we hadn't placed; I didn't care. The second judge's card was read and when we weren't in fifth or fourth I almost tuned out except I wanted to see how Amy had done. But then in third place I heard "#434, Arrowstar's Dakota shown by Leia Gibson!" Holy Moly!! :new_shocked: :cheeky-smiley-006: I got third right behind Alladin in a class of 24 fabulous horses. :risa8: Kody looked as startled to be pulled out of line as I was to be called, but it was awesome to hear our friends whooping for us and cheering us on.

I truly think our achievements in liberty so far can be attributed more to the relationship that Kody and I have than to any other factor. He isn't fancy, he doesn't have a breathtaking trot or the testosterone to make him really leap and buck and show off. But what he does do is play with me with such openness and love that it is obvious to everyone. He's independently confident but always looking to me for clues as to what our next dance move is and responds to every minute signal I send with enthusiasm. He's my partner in every way and it shows. I want to burst with love and pride and an odd sort of humbled delight when he just runs to me that way, swooping in like a hawk to the glove of his own free will. That's really something and apparently the judges see it that way too. Wow.
default_wub.png
: Cool night!

After everyone had gone back to the barn I took him back in the arena and did some clicker training to reprogram him from "in-hand means get wildly excited for Liberty" to "lead nicely for Jumper," and I had a long talk with him as I put him to bed about what I expected from him the next day in Jumper as well as what he'd done right that night. (I love our little "debriefing sessions." :bgrin ) Once again he must have listened because the next morning when we hit the ring for jumper without so much as a single warmup jump he gave me the best round he ever has. There was a case of operator error on the third jump that caused us to run out but it sure wasn't Kody's fault and other than that we were clean and smooth. That little horse jumps with good form but leads like a nightmare because he gets tired of waiting for me and wants to run ahead at speed. This time he made such an obvious effort to please me and do what I'd asked him to the night before that I couldn't be anything but thrilled with him. He held himself back to a jog, tried to figure out which way I wanted him to turn and then did it as soon as he understood what I wanted, and the way his little ears were asking "Did I do it right Mom?" was just adorable. Such a sweet pony!
default_wub.png
: I was actually glad we didn't make the jump-off as we were able to end on a good note and sure enough he got chargy when we headed towards the first jump on our way back into the arena for ribbons. It was a good lesson for him about relaxing and we got two 3rds out of four.

I connected with a lot of forum members both known (CountryRose, Flying G, nootka, Crabby Chicken, Click Mini, R Whiteman, HHP Miniatures, and others) and new (Valerie, PrestigeMinis, LindaL, Stacy Score of Mountain Meadows) and had a great time introducing "the infamous Kody" and putting names to faces. Friends are what make it all worthwhile, and Lil' Beginnings has sure given me a lot of friends! We did miss Susanne, Kari, Equuisize, and some of our other LB crew though.
default_sad.png

Thanks to the Crabby Chickens for their help with Kody, Liz for her constant generous offers to video and take pictures and help with Liberty (you are appreciated!!), Click Mini for her demonstration of obstacle in hand training (someone always inspires me by example each year and this time it's you
default_wink.png
: ), and to the wonderful show staff for all their work. The judges were both great and I especially appreciated the male judge taking the time to come talk to me after the last country pleasure class and explain why he placed me as he did. I KNEW why, but it was fantastic to be able to ask him questions and I was gratified that he did not simply say "tighten your check." He said something self-deprecating at the end of our conversation about "...it's only my opinion," and I laughed and said "Hey, I paid for that opinion! Thank you." He replied "Want your money back?" :new_rofl:

Kody is coming along, slowly but surely. I think that the next year will see him finally being truly competitive in jumping, liberty, obstacle, and driven performance classes like Precision Driving and Disciplined Rail. We may even start attempting obstacle in hand as he settles down a bit and realizes that that too can be a partnership thing. I'm in this for the long haul so I'm just pleased to see him making progress and coming into himself as a mature gelding and a performance horse. Thank you all for taking the ride with me!

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Leia- Another great write-up! I felt like I was right there with you! Just an observation: your posture and SMILE in the outdoor pictures are mirrored in Kody's obvious enjoyment of his work. Perhaps both of you are easily bored with the round and round of the show ring??? Congrats on your liberty placing, too!!! I really appreciate the sentiments expressed in your last paragraph- you are wise beyond your years! Love ya!!!

:aktion033:

:lol:

I loved reading this, even though I was there, it's great to understand it from your perspective.

I will agree it was a great show even without the ribbons!

Kody is just so much "more" everything in person and it's clear that you two are a great team.

Thanks for sharing!!!

(and you're always welcome)

Liz M.

What a great write-up.......it was indeed a pleasure to get to meet you.....and I can only picture that you type as fast as you talk...and I mean that in the kindest way...girl you tired me out just listening, you have such energy and it just shines through, send some of that energy my way, ok? :bgrin

But I was very honored to meet you and the infamous Kody...and it's very obvious you two have a very special bond! I just wish I had seen atleast one of your classes, so I could get a picture or two...maybe next time.

Good luck on your show this weekend!! I am sure I will see you at some events down the road! :bgrin

I loved reading your post. Made me smile and think..."THIS is why we have horses!"
default_yes.gif
: I was sorry that we only got to introduce ourselves and not get to chat and I missed seeing Kody in "person" (except in a driving class). It was a really quick trip up for me and if I didnt have a long trip back home, I'd have stayed longer.

Next show!!! :lol:

Congrats on your placings!!! :aktion033: :aktion033:

What I really like, personally, is the continued and ongoing fact that, like Breanne, you obviously want to enjoy yourself all the time, but you NEVER, either of you, forget that there is another person involved, and Kody and Fascinations enjoyment is every bit, if not more, important than your own.

DO NOT TIGHTEN THE CHECK!!!

I would actually burn the flipping thing- good job I am not showing in the states as I would have started the "Equine Liberation Front" by now and be marching with placards!!

What me, militant???
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Anyway, there is NOTHING in the rules- I have read them carefully- that says the check must

a) be doing anything

b) attached to the bit.

default_smile.png

You could make a side check out of chestnut coloured nylon cord that slipped under the mane, so the fact that it was flopping around would not be so obvious??

Why would you not use breeching in the obstacle classes??

I can see why you would not want to go pioneering in the breed classes but obstacle??

I would put it on and go with the horses comfort, myself.

I would also get a leather sleeve made for the breast collar that provides some padding- for obstacle.

All in all a brilliant piece of writing and the facts shine through- well done, both of you.

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: Great writing as usual, Leia! It was such a fun show, you and Kody looked wonderful, that first photo you linked from the photog's site tells the story of how far you've come, also a couple of the outdoor photos are magnificent! Kody's placing in Liberty was well-deserved, IMO!!!

Wasn't that Judge (McKeith is his last name) just the best! So warm and friendly through the entire show, he made me feel much more relaxed about showing than usual with his demeanor. It is so important to us amateurs to have judges like this. Another one I ran across this year that was like that is Jim Curry, I would happily show under him any time! Definitely on the "bring 'em back" list, if you ask me!

Another thing I would like to note is that these judges were equal opportunity players. It was so great to see some "just folks" winning the big ribbons against some of the name trainers. I thought Judy Cates was going to pass out when her stallion Tatonka won grand! That was fabulous! And of course our Liz (Nootka) with little Pyro! It was very apparent that these judges were judging based on the horse in front of them, and not who was at the end of the lead. I liked that.

Thank you for saying that I inspired you with the in-hand obstacle training work. Like you do with Kody, so much of what I do with Alladdin is just he and I "playing." We have such an amazing partnership, I just love (adore) that horse beyond words. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW Leia that was an awesome write up! It's what this should all be about, enjoying yourself and your horse and knowing when you have improved, even if the judges don't
default_wink.png
: I think we all need to remember this when showing!! Bring the fun back!!

Kody looks awesome! It's amazing to think that this is the same horse that you started with. He is so stretching and soft and supple and forward moving! I LOVE seeing pictures of him driving, you two make such a pretty picture
default_yes.gif
:

Congratulations on all your placings!! I can't wait to see what next year brings!!

Geez that is some writing!!!!

I was so inpressed with your 3rd place in liberty!! By that time I was sneaking home with one headlight out hoping I wasn't going to get a "ribbon" from the state patrol! Felt much better when I made it safely home!

Kody was such a good boy. He would do anything for you. Falcon is that way too, but more reserved and annoying since he is a stallion still.

Glad we could help you get ready for the class! Congrats on your placings!

Congratulations Leia...you and Cody are an awesome pair...I LOVED your liberty run...you really could tell you were out there "playing"...he was very much focused on you
default_yes.gif
: I love reading your write-ups...they're just so much fun!

I agree about Jim McKeith...he was a blast to show under...and he gave some great advise as well...I love it when the judges give you pointers and let you know why you placed the way you did.

Tracy

Congrats Leia and Kody! Job well done :aktion033: ! I always love reading what you post, and every single time I read something you've written, I can just feel the passion coming through the computer screen. I can definately feel just how much you love Kody..........believe me........it's obvious! I applaud you and your desire to learn and grow with Kody! So cool!

What a wonderful writeup -- and time -- felt I was there with you (and wished I had been). :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Never heard of "Disciplined Rail" what the heck is that??

You should write an article for the mini magazines --- AMHA and/or AMHR or especially the Miniature Showcase mag.

You and Kody have a fabulous relationship and it shows.
default_wub.png
:

JJay

Sounds like you had a fantastic and fun show!! :aktion033:

I'm bummed I couldn't be there to cheer you (and the other forum members) on.
default_sad.png

Will you be at OSF? I know it's a long drive for you, but would LOVE to finally be at a show with you... or will work get in the way? Pesky. Why work when you can SHOW?

Kari

You guys are sweet and it was a pleasure to be there with you all.

rabbitsfizz said:
What I really like, personally, is the continued and ongoing fact that, like Breanne, you obviously want to enjoy yourself all the time, but you NEVER, either of you, forget that there is another person involved, and Kody and Fascinations enjoyment is every bit, if not more, important than your own....DO NOT TIGHTEN THE CHECK!!!

...Why would you not use breeching in the obstacle classes??

I can see why you would not want to go pioneering in the breed classes but obstacle??

I would put it on and go with the horses comfort, myself.

I would also get a leather sleeve made for the breast collar that provides some padding- for obstacle.
Fizz, you will be unsurprised to hear that Breanna and I got on like a house afire the two times we got to meet and drive together this year. Both of us respect the fact that our particular horses have strong personalities and if we want them to perform at their best for us, we have to make some allowances for them and their wishes too. Fasc and Kody won't allow anything less! :bgrin

I did tighten the check rein this year but only because Kody's headset has become higher on its own and there was more slack to take up. I do NOT use it to hold his head up, with his training he wouldn't accept that pressure anyway because he hasn't been taught to understand it. His head tossing this time was less objection than him using the check to scratch his ears by moving the crownpiece back and forth! :eek: He's a smart lil' booger.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I didn't use breeching in obstacle for three reasons. 1) there are no footman's loops on my new show cart to attach it to. 2) I did not have time to polish the brass. 3) And most importantly, Kody did not indicate that he needed it. I've actually found that he backs just as well without breeching as long as he's in the show cart although that was not the case with our previous vehicles. Where we ran into problems was doing hazard practice at speed among the trees on the hill. He'd go to make a fast turn and without the breeching holding the shaft tips back, they were poking into his shoulders so he became reluctant to turn. He was fine in obstacle because we were only turning at a walk and the wrap straps were adjusted to hold it back without binding.

He's been using this breastcollar unpadded for CDE's for two years and been okay. It's very soft and a little wider than most breed show breast collars so I chose not to pad it for a two minute class.

ClickMini said:
It was very apparent that these judges were judging based on the horse in front of them, and not who was at the end of the lead. I liked that.
Yes, that was one thing I liked too. With one or two exceptions the classes were pinned according to the standards and most of the time the best horse won, which was a nice change. I felt that for the most part I placed exactly where I deserved to and that was nice too.

Bluerocket said:
Never heard of "Disciplined Rail" what the heck is that??
You should write an article for the mini magazines --- AMHA and/or AMHR or especially the Miniature Showcase mag.
I used to do Disciplined Rail riding classes in 4-H. It's like a regular pleasure class where the announcer will ask you to perform certain unspecified maneuvers on the rail at the judge's discretion. In riding it could be halting from a hand-gallop, then sidepassing three steps left, pivoting 90 degrees on the forehand, then proceeding down the rail at a counter-canter from a halt. It was always so much fun because you never knew what to expect and it was a real test of your training. :aktion033: The driving version wasn't quite as, um, strenuous, but we had to walk on a loose rein, halt and stand, back up, serpentine through cones at a trot, and pivot 90 degrees on the rail during an otherwise normal pleasure class.

I will write an article. Someday.

JJay, did you ever read my Happ's report? I don't think I saw you reply and you were the one who couldn't wait past Monday morning for me to post it!
default_wink.png
: I'm off to pack for Beavercreek now, I leave tomorrow morning.

Leia

Oh Leia thats awesome...You and Kody are something...It was sooo awesome to meet you finally and wow I must say that 3rd place was very much deserved....Cherish those moments with your horse...I will never forget my win with Blue at Oregon Gold...Relationships with horses are kinda the same with men you gotta keep working on it.. Hehe...The more you work on it the more it grows...And of course the deeper the loves gets....

Congrats on all your wins!!!!

JJay, did you ever read my Happ's report? I don't think I saw you reply and you were the one who couldn't wait past Monday morning for me to post it! I'm off to pack for Beavercreek now, I leave tomorrow morning.
I never saw your Happs Report -- I am not on here often enough these days and the topics just fly by -- will see if I can search for it. Will search NOW. :lol: :bgrin

I hope Beavercreek went well for you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

JJay

Latest posts

Back