KNOCK KNEEED

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAILS

Reaction score
FOAL BORN IS VERY "KNOCK KNEEED. IS THERE ANYTHING I SHOULD DO TO HELP THIS OR JUST WAIT AND HOPE THEY STRAIGHTEN? SOMEONE SAID TO CONFINE AND LIMIT EXERCISE, BUT I THOUGHT MAYBE THE EXERCISE WOULD HELP STRENGTHEN. THANKS

My second foal (colt) was born very knock kneed also. He was straight as an arrow within 10 days.

Let us know how it goes.

Debbie

P.S. I guess I should say that I did not limit his exercise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Give him lots of play time and let him be a horse. Im willing to bet he isnt knock need. He was laying in his dams uterus for 11 months with his front legs tucked under. Theyre not going to be arrow straight immediatly. Give him time, theyll straighten up.
default_yes.gif

I would let him have room to exercise, but not too much room. A decent sized corral is fine, but I wouldn't put this foal out on a big pasture & expect him to keep up with mom. Exercise will strengthen the legs, but if he gets too much exersize and gets tired, it can actually be bad for his legs.

There was a great post a while back by Tony I think it was, with pics, of a foal with weak legs that straightened right up in no time.

I have had a couple also over the many years that were pretty cockeyed, and it is shocking how FAST they improve every single day, to be good as new in no time. Have seen many from many farms, Minis and full sized alike.

They build muscle tone every day, and if you took a photo of each day, from the same angle, you will be amazed!!

That's not unusual for a baby, especially minis.

You'll see them knee in and toes out a lot because of the position they have to get in to nurse.

Knees don't set until almost two years so don't limit him at this point.

I bet they straighten out just fine by themselves.

How's your foal looking now?

We had one born with very lax tendons and front legs bowed back. Her legs were awful but I knew from seeing other foals that it's not uncommon and will correct within days. At 3 days, her legs were perfectly straight, long and beautiful and still are at 3mos
default_yes.gif

Hoping and betting you are already seeing improvement in your new foal
default_smile.png

Bowfoalpicture.jpg

Something like this?
default_smile.png
This filly went on to be a Regional Champion mare & AMHA Honor Roll Champion. She's 12 now, and has also produced a World Champion - just proves you can't go by first impressions! We kept her in a smaller paddock for a few days but didn't really restrict her activity much.

I keep this picture around during foaling season to remind myself not to panic LOL.

Jan

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back