Kitty is not eating Grass

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is the second day Kitty did not go out and eat grass in her field off the dry lot. She goes out when I open the gate but then comes back in and stands their the whole time she is allowed out. I give her a cup of grain to bring her in. She did not eat her hay in the stall but ate it when we put it in the dirt lot.

She is happy and looks good weight wise.

She has been in this field ever since we got her back in 2006. She goes out with my miniature gelding.

She has not done this before.

Does she have good gut sounds? Any high temp? Any change in diet, surroundings, etc? I've never had one refuse grass before....will she eat it if you hand walk her?

If she is happily eating grass when hand grazed then maybe there is either something about the grass in her paddock that she doesn't like (anything changed or blown into the paddock?) or possibly someTHING has crossed the paddock and the scent is upsetting her? Just throwing out ideas here, its a bit of a mystery! Also there is the question as to why she doesn't want to be in her stall to eat her hay - is the stall a run in, could the 'THING' have passed through it. While she's happy in the dry lot I would continue to feed her there for the next few days to see if she gives you any more clues over what is troubling her. Is your gelding happy to be out in the pasture paddock?

If there was somthing in the area then there are many things that could have happened. I don't know how long her hair is but look for marks on her. Raccoons, skunks and other things carry rabies. Personally id call a vet. She seems to be using you as security. I don't want to alarm you but a vet can give you answers.

check her mouth, maybe something caught in her front teeth or they hurt for some reason. Also check for abcesses or sores

sure sounds odd but something is bothering her for sure

How old is she?
she is 20

If she is happily eating grass when hand grazed then maybe there is either something about the grass in her paddock that she doesn't like (anything changed or blown into the paddock?) or possibly someTHING has crossed the paddock and the scent is upsetting her? Just throwing out ideas here, its a bit of a mystery! Also there is the question as to why she doesn't want to be in her stall to eat her hay - is the stall a run in, could the 'THING' have passed through it. While she's happy in the dry lot I would continue to feed her there for the next few days to see if she gives you any more clues over what is troubling her. Is your gelding happy to be out in the pasture paddock?
The only reason she was in the field is because she was allergic to something in the bigger field. Maybe. its a more of a regular barn with two stalls. Each stall has its own field. He is happy and eating out in the field. Someone who was helping out with the barn put her in the big field. Not knowing she was supposed to be on the small side. She stayed out all four hours. I pulled the hay apart and scattered inside the stall. She was eating it when I left. Her pulse is normal and i could not see anything stuck between her teeth or find anything in her mouth.

Is it possible that she is getting over an allergic reaction? Can you feel welts. I have seen welts happen from stress and allergies. That is good she is eating, hopefully what ever was bothering her has passed. If she doesn't seem fully back to normal soon, I would have vet out.

When my oldest mare now about 31 turned 20 she started to get a little odd. She would stay in the stall, and didn't care about much. She also became more spooky. So who knows maybe she is just adapting to her ageing body.

she is 20

The only reason she was in the field is because she was allergic to something in the bigger field. Maybe. its a more of a regular barn with two stalls. Each stall has its own field. He is happy and eating out in the field. Someone who was helping out with the barn put her in the big field. Not knowing she was supposed to be on the small side. She stayed out all four hours. I pulled the hay apart and scattered inside the stall. She was eating it when I left. Her pulse is normal and i could not see anything stuck between her teeth or find anything in her mouth.
If she was allergic to something in a field (grasses, weeds etc) then I would guarantee that you would most likely find the same problems in your other fields. If grasses, weeds, thistles seed then the following year there will be twice the amount if they are not removed or killed before seeding. How is she ?

Latest posts

Back