Kindness pays off

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi*

Reaction score
Some of you may remember last year when I posted about the starving cows next door. The house was empty and up for sale at that time and the owner was letting a guy keep his cows in the pasture. Well when I informed the property owner that that was NOT enough grass and that the cows were starving he immediately called the cow's owner and had them picked up that night. Well about two months ago the cows were back and both were pregnant this time. There was still very little grass but at least what little there was was green. The black cow had her baby about a month and a half ago but I have been watching the other cow very closely because I knew it would be any day. I have also been feeding them whatever I could. I had been communicating with the owner that I didn't think that was enough grass for those huge beasts but I hadn't gotten through yet. So a day and a half ago I took some watermelon out and I noticed the red cow was nowhere to be found. I had to go searching for her and I finally found her in the back of the pasture with her new BABY
default_yes.gif
I came inside and called the owner to let him know she had it.

I took my hubby out to see the little guy last night and he got to pet it on the head. I told him he was probably the first person to ever touch the little guy
default_wub.png
My hubby seemed to be tickled by that
default_yes.gif

Then just a bit ago I got a call from the cow owner. He said he was taking the Mom and if I wanted the baby I could have it
default_new_multi.gif
default_new_multi.gif
I said "YEAH"! He is a Jersey mix which is what I originally wanted before I got Buddy! Now Buddy has a friend and I am so very excited! The icing on the cake is that there is only one "beast" next door now so the pasture should be able to support her and her two babies( she has a drop calf on her too). The owner said he knew I had been feeding them and giving me the calf was the least he could do
default_yes.gif

I am sad that he couldn't stay with his Mom longer but milk calves rarely get to stay with Mom for more than a day. He will have a good home here once he settles in and realizes I am his new Mommie
default_yes.gif

Here is a refresher of the pics I posted last year...

DSC05006.jpg

This is a pic I took yesterday of the Mom and the baby.

DSC06693.jpg

And this is from just a bit ago when we got him tucked into Melody's stall. I had just thrown Buddy's left over replacer milk in the dumpster last night so I ran out and pulled the bag back out
default_yes.gif

DSC06703.jpg

And this is what Melody thinks of the whole thing :DOH!

DSC06713.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on your new little addition, he's cute.

If you didn't already know from raising Buddy... Our vet recommends feeding them liquid milk replacer (reconstituted powder) for at least one month, before moving them over to pelleted milk replacer and other feeds. I've found that the longer you can keep them on the liquid milk replacer the better they seem to do; but it does get time consuming to make them up a bottle (pail) as often as they need one (and expensive); two years ago, I had good luck with the milk replace pellets mixed with our grain, and my little orphan did well. Last year, I ended up with 4 orphans, and they all got a little short changed, but did pretty good anyway. [Due to expense of feeding four, they got switched to plain rations sooner than I would have liked, but still got plenty of it.]

Buddy actually received liquid milk replacer up until he was weaned. Well it is a powder that you add water to. Is that what you are talking about? I didn't even know they had pellets. But yes it is expensive!!!! This little guy is SO cute. I just went out with his first bottle. He was laying down and didn't budge. He is pretty lifeless right now besides moving his head once and awhile. Buddy did the same thing when we first got him. This little guy did suck on the bottle a little bit but would stop as soon as I took my finger out of his mouth. I will try again in the morning. I sat with him for awhile. He seems very scared but not necessarily scared of me. He seems scared of his surroundings since Mom is gone. I am in love with him already!!!! I hope he takes to the bottle well tomorrow! It's so much easier when they know you have the milk
default_yes.gif
I feel so blessed to have been given this sweet little angel.
default_wub.png

Congratulations on your new little addition, he's cute.

If you didn't already know from raising Buddy... Our vet recommends feeding them liquid milk replacer (reconstituted powder) for at least one month, before moving them over to pelleted milk replacer and other feeds. I've found that the longer you can keep them on the liquid milk replacer the better they seem to do; but it does get time consuming to make them up a bottle (pail) as often as they need one (and expensive); two years ago, I had good luck with the milk replace pellets mixed with our grain, and my little orphan did well. Last year, I ended up with 4 orphans, and they all got a little short changed, but did pretty good anyway. [Due to expense of feeding four, they got switched to plain rations sooner than I would have liked, but still got plenty of it.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, that calf is so cute!!!!! I don't think there's really anything much cuter than a calf
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Congratulations on your new cutie
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

AWWWWW!!!!! i LOVE bottle calves! what his name and how is he doing this morning?

looks like little melody better get used to it but what a great pic of her!

Awe, what a sweet little baby face!
default_wub.png
He's going to feel like he's in heaven there in his new home, with so many barnyard friends and a mom who loves him so!
default_wub.png

Thanks everyone! He really is sweet but very scared right now. He still didn't want his bottle this morning. I think I am going to try something with him. I did it with Buddy and it did the trick. I am going to heat up some regular milk that is in our fridge and try giving him that. He just needs to get used to the bottle and that milk is more like his Mom's. I won't give him a lot but maybe just enough for him to get the idea. It worked like a charm on Buddy. It only took one time and from then on he was excited to see that bottle. I hate keeping him locked in the stall but until he gets used to the bottle I have to. There is no way I could catch the little goober!

AWWWWW!!!!! i LOVE bottle calves! what his name and how is he doing this morning?

looks like little melody better get used to it but what a great pic of her!

Brandi,

Congrats on your new baby!! He is cute, and I'm sure he will catch on to the bottle thing soon.. I'm sure Buddy appreciates the friend...

Good Luck.

Missy
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back