Kicking Strap Advice Needed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what you mean. I know there's a way of looping a cotton lead around the back leg to keep a horse from either kicking or rearing when having their feet trimmed, but I don't know how it's done. It has to be a soft cotton lead, though. Is that what you're talking about?

Thanks Maryann, I should've been more clear. I was looking for info on kicking strap use on a driving harness. Peanut took offense at being reprimanded yesterday (he was diving for grass when I was driving him) and he kicked most acrobatically. He did this once or twice a couple of years ago and I bought the strap that goes on my harness but I have no experience with using one. The:confused::eek:o_O was because he rendered me speechless, lol.

I have used one with Clementine. They don't interfere at all unless they go to kick or buck. She would kick up just out of pure sass. I was afraid of her getting a leg over a shaft so I used a kicking strap. Hers connected to the back strap and went over the hips then to the cart. You can adjust how tight it is. It only took a few times of her trying to bump her back end up and not being able to for her to get the idea and quit. We haven't used it for several years now. But when she was younger and didn't want to go around the cones one more time she'd let me know by kicking out.

Where do you attatch the straps? At what place on the shafts? I think I have seen them run through the loop the breeching hold backs make (before the area where you wrap) and then wrapped around the shafts. Does that sound about right? My kicking strap is the kind that the crupper adjustments slide through, it seems pretty far back, but I can see where it would keep the butt steadied. I don't think he'll try this stunt again ( he peeved himself when his foot hit the crossbar, I think it smarted) but I'm going to be ready for it if I can. He's too old for this foolishness!
Thanks MC! :)

Perfet video, thanks! Answers my question about what to run the strap through. Also learned it's a bucking strap. Always heard it called a kicking strap around hear so that's good to know. I'll be giving it a try on him this weekend.

No, not yet! It's been so hot that I have just been ground driving a few minutes in the mornings and doing some agility with them. I really have to get him in the cart and get the thing adjusted. He gets what my grandmother would've called "notions" every once in awhile. This week he "took a notion" not to lead until he has a roll first. This went on for 3 or 4 days and then passed. Sometimes I don't react to his shenanigans as it seems to reinforce them. Always something!

Back