Kickapoo's first 2011 foal....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dona

Reaction score
Introducing "Kickapoo's Apache Renegade", solid chestnut colt out of Kickapoo's Deja Vu (Chestnut Tovero) and Kickapoo's Apache Moon (Bay Frame/Sabino Overo).

Doesn't have the color I was looking for.....but he is really nice. 20" at birth...dam & sire are both between 30.5" & 31". He was bright, bright red at birth with the usual cream lower legs & red mane & tail. But his legs started shedding out to a dark silver/gray, and that had me confused. I clipped his lower legs leaving him looking like a llama! LOL At that point, I thought maybe he was a Silver Bay (his dam may carry silver as her full brother was a Silver Dapple).

But now that he is totally clipped....he is looking more like a dark liver chestnut with darker legs. Mane & tail are coming in darker....but definitely not black.

I only have one more foal coming this year......in about 2 weeks. It will be another Apache Moon baby out of our Black Sabino mare "Sylvie". This will be our last Mini foal here at Kickapoo, so it will be a bittersweet moment. I would love to have a colorful Frame baby for our last one...but as long as it's healthy, I'll be happy.

WildfireHeadclipwithMom1cropped.jpg

DSCF3745.jpg

GaderLyingwithMom.jpg

RenegadeLeftatGate.jpg

Gaderandcat.jpg

Dona what a beautiful colt you have..he may not be a overo(of course he could be with blood tests), but he sure is cute! Congrats!
default_aktion033.gif

Blessings,

Jenny

Dona, He is really beautiful!

Are you not going to be breeding any longer?

Susan O.

He's beautiful Dona!

There's my Topper's momma! And I guess my Topper is that's colt's uncle through Apache Moon
default_biggrin.png

I'm sad about the end of your awesome program. I hope you get the Frame foal you want, as your last foal!

Congratulation Dona, Beautiful boy!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif

Bill

Congrats on a very nice colt, even if he is solid. Love his momma too. I have admired your breeding program since before we got our first mini and am sad to hear you are getting out of breeding. Hope your next foal is the frame overo you want.

First congrats, and have to ask, are you are getting out of all your horses?

I read on your web site selling last of your herd.

So sad...
default_no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
You are all, so very kind. Yes, after 23 years of breeding, I have made the very difficult decision to sell the last of my minis. I just can't "do them justice" any longer. A lot of factors came into play, a divorce after 36 years, having to go back to work full-time for health benefits, and caring for my elderly parents (now just Dad, since Mom died at Christmas).....and, I must admit...my age. :-( I downsized considerably after the divorce, just keeping a few mares, and my stallion "Apache". I love the babies & wanted to be able to at least have a couple each year. But, my work schedule & running back & forth to care for my Dad prevents me from spending the time with the foals that I should. And anyone who breeds knows that you must spend lots of time with them to get them socialized, halter & lead broke, etc. I used to spend hours with them, playing with them & leading them up & down the rural roads to get them used to new sounds, sights, smells, etc. But, now, it seems all I can find time to do is to keep them fed, watered, stalls cleaned, etc. Once that is done, my energy is zapped. I was re-married last year to an absolutely WONDERFUL man...but he has health problems himself. He does help me a lot with the feeding, but is limited with the heavy work.

So, I just felt like the minis I kept were being "wasted" here & should go to someone who had more time to spend with them, and show & promote them if possible.

Apache has already gone on to his new home with Penny & Randy Ketterman of Lil Ponderosa Minis in Campobello, S. Carolina, where he has his own new herd of beautiful mares & is being prepared to go back into the show ring! I know he has a wonderful home with them....which makes letting him go so much easier.

I know I will miss my minis terribly....especially in the Spring. I SO love watching the babies bouncing around in the field. The minis have been such a huge part of my life for a very long time, so I will definitely be visiting Lil Beginnings on a regular basis to get my Mini "fix. LOL

I have made so many wonderful friends through this site...I can't imagine not checking in regularly to see what's going on.

Bless you all. You and the minis have been my "therapy" for years. :)

Latest posts

Back