Kentucky

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa

Reaction score
After seeing the post about horse racing, I got to thinking about the vacation I want to take next year. I've been thinking about doing a cruise to San Diego, but now I realize I have the ability to go to Kentucky! I have a couple questions for those who have been.

1) The main question: other than Derby Day, when is the best time to go? I was thinking about April, because racing will be on by then and the babies will have arrived. What do ya'll think? I would love to go to the Derby, but I cannot afford the cost of a hotel yet for that time of year.

2) Do visiting the farms, the Kentucky Horse Park, tracks and other horse attractions cost money to get in?

3) Anything I would need to know about visiting Kentucky, other than where to visit (which I know I want to visit all the big farms, Churchill and Keeneland and the Horse Park)?

4) Any big mini farms around Louisville that wouldn't mind me stopping by? :D If there are farms around there, I certainly couldn't go there without visiting, if I'm able to!

1) The main question: other than Derby Day, when is the best time to go? I was thinking about April, because racing will be on by then and the babies will have arrived. What do ya'll think? I would love to go to the Derby, but I cannot afford the cost of a hotel yet for that time of year.

2) Do visiting the farms, the Kentucky Horse Park, tracks and other horse attractions cost money to get in?

3) Anything I would need to know about visiting Kentucky, other than where to visit (which I know I want to visit all the big farms, Churchill and Keeneland and the Horse Park)?

4) Any big mini farms around Louisville that wouldn't mind me stopping by? :D If there are farms around there, I certainly couldn't go there without visiting, if I'm able to!

1. I am not too sure about other things to do there. It might be that I never paid that much attention when I lived there. But I would say if you could get there during this time of year the World Championship Saddlebred Show goes on at the State Fair. They also have Hackneys there too at that time. Wonderful show!! Other than that thats all I can offer in this area.

2. Some farms will charge for a private tour and some won't it really depends on where you go. The KY Horse Park does charge but its worth it. Lots of famous retired horses are still there.
default_smile.png
Ummm as for the track I think if you go down there in the early morning it might cost little or nothing but I am not sure. Depends...I would reccommend calling and asking or visiting the site to ask what it takes to get in. Sometimes they won't let you get in unless if its a certain time of the year. I have only been to Churchill Downs...Keeneland I know nothing about LOL...If you want to see the farms though there is a awesome self-guided driving tour thats very neat.

3. People are very friendly out there...Ummm for the most part on the outskirts of Louisville are dry counties..So if you want to drink anything while you are out near the Downs chances are you might have a tough time finding it. Ummmm if you drive my the Gold Vault off of Dixie Highway...Don't take any pictures or stop near it. Security is very STRICT near there...Oh yes and Dixie Highway is nicknamed Dixie Dieway... Never had anyting fatal or anything happen while I lived there...

4. As for the Mini Horse farms that might let you visit...Ten- L Training Center is in Louisville, Sam Hill Farms in Rineyville, Hidden Jewels Farm :D....but thats all I can think of right now...

HJF.....Chip in your knowledge about KY you have lived there your whole life....:D And Laura just might pop in maybe if she's not too busy with shows getting ready to come up....But that's all I can think of....Hope this helps

We go the last weekend in April every year so we can visit both Keeneland and Church Hill Downs. The last friday in April is the final day of the Keeneland spring meet then Saturday is the open of the Church Hill Down meet. We usually see alot of the Derby horses in Church Hill Downs schooling in the paddock. You also get alot of Derby excitement without the crowd. Also in April the pastures are full of beautiful foals.

Central Ky. native here! Go to Ky. the last week of April as suggested. Keeneland will be winding down, and Churchill will be opening the next day. It is a very beautiful time of the year there with all the lush green grass and the foals cavorting around.

Yes, the horse park will charge, but it is as stated, well worth every penny it will cost. You can see retired race horses, museums, saddle horse museum, almost every breed of horse you could think of, and working leather shop, blacksmith shop, and many, many more things I can't think of right now. Oh yeah, a fantastic gift shop. Keeneland race track will be free to tour, and if you want to stay for a day of racing, it will cost a grand total of $2-3.00. (To get in, that is. Betting is all on your own!)

Going to Churchill Downs, during Derby week is going to cost more for entry, concessions and etc. After Derby Week, the prices will go down. You MAY be able to go on the backside to see the Derby horses, but they are guarded very closely. Wasn't that bad till the sponging and doping incidents. Now they are well kept under security. They have regular conducted walking tours all meet long, but I don't know what they charge for that. Admission should cost under $5.00 for the races, except for Oaks and Derby Day.

I have never heard of any of the farms charging for tours, but do be sure to call ahead and ask when would be convenient for them. J. Jay, on the forum, is my niece by marriage, and she works at Three Chimneys Farm. She would know more about the farm visitation, and probably most of the schedules.

There are many, mini farms in Lexington, and in Louisville, and my suggestion would be to look in a Mini Horse Directory and call ahead to schedule visits.

Hope you go, and hope you have lots of fun. I go back to Ky. now in April and October, for the Keeneland

Race Meet. I retired from all the other tracks, but feel as long as I am able, I will continue working at Keeneland.

Thank you for the suggestions!!! I have decided I AM going!! I have $600 in my Investment Account and if I have to get a part time job for a few months to pay for it, then I will.

I emailed Gary Bush at Denali Stud about visiting that farm. Serena's Song is my absolute favourite racemare and I have always wanted to meet her. She is due to foal in March 08, so I will be able to see her baby!!! I will take the suggestion about the last week. I'm not sure how long I will go, but perhaps Wednesday, April 23 to Tuesday April 28 (unless whatever job I get tells me I can't take holidays -- that would be a real bummer!!!). It has been my dream forever to see Kentucky. I would love to be able to see the Derby entrants.

Three Chimneys is one of my favourite farms. How can it not be with Rahy, Point Given, War Chant and Smarty Jones. I just wish I had been able to see Seattle Slew before he passed away and Silver Charm (my ultimate favourite racehorse) before he went to Japan.

You know, if you wait until July you can attend the Julep Cup which is one of the largest AMHA shows in the country. You get the best of Kentucky for sure.

Whatever you do, be sure and get up very early on a morning or two and get out there and tour the back roads with your camera. Lovely, foggy mornings, the light is just awesome.

That might be an idea, but I think I'm going to aim for the last week in April. I really want to see Keeneland AND Churchill.

Came up with a couple more questions!!!

1) What are the best farms to visit? I know I'm going to Three Chimneys and Denali if I'm allowed to, but I'm not sure where else is the BEST farms to visit. There are SO many awesome farms, I doubt I will have time to go to all of them in 6 days.

2) How far in advance should I book a hotel for that week? I am JUST going to be into Derby week at that point if I go from April 23 to 28. haha I can't believe I want to go to Kentucky the week before the Derby, but I don't think I can handle the crowds, no matter how much I want to see the Derby.

If you are going to be staying in Louisville, during that week, I would say book hotels well in advance, like maybe now, or at least no later than the first of January. Lexington would not be quite as bad, but book at least in late Feb. or early March to assure you get good hotels.

There is a bus tour, where they take you past a lot of the horse farms in Lexington. The name of the tour is Blue Grass Tours. I know they go on the back roads, because on my way to Keeneland every morning, I pass one, which isn't particularly easy on some stretches of the back roads. On one of those roads, I also have seen a lot of deer early in the mornings. You could take that tour first day or so, and then decide which of those farms you would like to visit. Oh, be sure to go to Lane's End. It belongs to Will Farrish, a Texas Native, and is where the Queen of England now keeps her horses. You will also want to visit Claiborne Farm in Paris. And remember, Keeneland will be closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. On your bus tour, you will go down Old Frankfort Pike, which has many horse farms on it, including Darby Dan Farm, and the road is nicknamed Millionaire's Row. You will have just the grandest time!

I dont post much, but reading about KY, I have to add my two cents. I live about 25 minutes from Keeneland, and about 1 hour from downtown Louisville. YOu might consider staying on the outskirts of Louisville, The rates will be much, much cheaper, and an easy drive in either direction. You could stay on Interstate 64, between Lex and Louisville. If I were saying places you should go, you should try the 1. buffalo run ranch ( always amazes me, they have a white buffalo, and all kinds of neat animals and great food made with animals from the ranch), between Louisville, and Lexington, right off the Interstate 64, you would travel between the two. Also, the mini farm somone already mentioned is also off that same interstate. 2. Horse park, you can see so many famous horses, and different breeds, I can promise whatever the cost is up to now, you will NEVER be disappointed. I live an hour from there, and love it, go any time I get a chance. We also have several very good large horse shows around. I show Performance Walking horses and our big Spring show is the last week in April, you could come to it, it is within one hour of where you will be staying.

Minis are abundant in this area, and you can find tens of farms within an hour of either Lexington, or Louisville. We have minis ( around 100) as well as all types of other livestock, so if you come down, come by.

Thanks for the tips! I was thinking of staying in Lexington, rather than Louisville. I have wanted to go there ever since I was a kid and read the Thoroughbred Series.
default_rolleyes.gif
: Childhood Dreams and all that! The problem is that I am not sure if I will be able to rent a car next year (I will be 23, and most places don't allow you to rent a car unless you are 25). Is that plausible?

The farms I have on my list are the following:

I MUST go to:

Calumet Farm

Lane's End Farm

Three Chimneys Farm

Brookdale Farm

Denali Stud

Claiborne Farm

Coolmore America

The farms I would LIKE to go to:

Gainesway Farm

Juddmonte Farm

Mill Ridge Farm

Old Frankfort Stud

Overbrook Farm

Spendthrift Farm

The first place I will be going is the Horse Park to see Cigar, whom I adore! He was my first "superstar" that I saw!

If you fly in , fly in to the lexington airport. It is right across the road from keeneland. they have shuttles, etc. to get you to the hotels, and i am thinking, yes, you can get a rental at that age, just call ahead. Keeneland race track is directly across the street from the airport,as well as the famous Calumet Farm. Beautiful area, and an hour from Louisville.

I am going to say this, and am not in any way advertising, stay at the embassy suites, it is located on newtown Pike, in Fayette County, less than 10 minutes from the horse park, right off both I75 and I 64 and would suite you perfect. Never have I ever enjoyed a hotel more than that one, and rates wont be too bad that time of year. You will not be disappointed. Many immenities and close to everything you are wanting to do.

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately I wouldn't be able to afford to stay in that hotel. I'm going to have to stay in a motel, I can't afford $200/night
default_sad.png
If I want to go to Kentucky, I'm going to have to go cheap for where I'm staying. Do you know of an inexpensive motel near there?

My father is straight out of Kentucky and we normally go to Kentucky quite a bit, have not gone down any over the past year though for some reason.

We always go down 'Country Music Highway', i know there is a HUGE mini farm off to the side of that road bc we always pass it and there is always about 30-40 minis you can easily see, i wonder if that is HJF or Laura's place? We always go by Billy Ray Cyrus's house, Lorretta Lyns ext. All on the same highway, which is why they call it Country Music Highway lol.

I had so many chances in highschool to go to the KY horse park but everytime something came up. I want to go next spring and stay for a week and visit all the big TB farms ext.

I think Nicole (New_Image) went last year i believe ...she got tons of pics bc i remember her posting them.

The best part about Kentucky is the early morning fog and the mountains, such a beautiful place. My whole family on my dads side (and most on moms) is from KY. I love the state, everyone is so friendly and such a beautiful place. Tons of horse related things to do and see.

Normally when we go to KY we go to Paintsville or Prestonsburg, hotels there are like $80/night but i think they are like 2 hrs from louseville or so.

I am wondering if I need a week there. I found out that the Horse Park does a tour of a bunch of farms nearby (I couldn't find a list of the farms though). If I go on that, I would probably be able to go to most of the farms that I want to see, then just go to Denali Stud and Three Chimneys on a tour there or something, spend a day at each track and one at the Horse Park. I am wondering if maybe 4 or 5 days would be sufficient. What do ya'll think? If I cut it down by a day or two, it would be more affordable, since I'll have to pay for the hotel all on my own (I only know one person who likes thoroughbreds and she can't afford to come).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have made a list of stallions I want to see in and around Lexington.

Brookdale Farm

Crafty Prospector

Silver Deputy

Gainesway Farm

Afleet Alex

Cozzene

Juddmonte Farm

Mizzen Mast

Aptitude

Empire Maker

Lane’s End Farm

Lemon Drop Kid

AP Indy

Came Home

Kingmambo

Mineshaft

Smart Strike

Mill Ridge Farm

Gone West

Overbrook Farm

Cape Town

Cat Thief

Grindstone

Storm Cat

Three Chimneys Farm

Dynaformer

Point Given

Rahy

Sky Mesa

Smarty Jones

War Chant

Vinery

More Than Ready

Runaway Groom

Claiborne Farm

Monarchos

Seeking the Gold

Coolmore America

Fusaichi Pegasus

Giant’s Causeway

Grand Slam

Johannesburg

Thunder Gulch

WinStar Farm

Victory Gallop

Bluegrass Cat

Tiznow

Adena Springs

Touch Gold

Alphabet Soup

Awesome Again

Giacomo

Kentucky Horse Park

Cigar

John Henry

Oh, do go see Gone West. He was born on the farm where I worked. The "maternity ward and nursery" was a paddock right by my office window. When he was born, he came out into that paddock like "Look at me world, I have arrived." He was always beautiful, and always knew he was very special. When he went up for sale as a yearling, we were glad Woody Stephens was going to train him. He did have some foot problems, and was requiring the blacksmith from 2 weeks on. I will always have a special connection with that guy!

Remember though, I haven't looked at my calendar, but I don't think Churchill will be quite open for racing at the time you will be there. You can still do all the tours and etc. though. Yes, you will need the full week and then you will need to come back for a couple more to see the farms and stallions you want to see!

I just went to the Keeneland website, but can't get it to come up this morning. I hate this darned dial up!

If you would go there, it has all kinds of Keeneland racing and sales information, and should have the spring dates on it. Keeneland closes on Friday, and Churchill will open on Saturday. Sorry I couldn't get more information for you from there. I have the website in my favorites but I think it is just www.Keeneland.com .

I just got it up, and it doesn't have the spring dates yet, or I couldn't find it with a quick look!

Thank you
default_smile.png
I thought it was the last weekend of April that Churchill opens? When I am going is the last weekend. The next weekend is the Derby (May 3). Do you happen to know what farms are on the farm tour at the Horse Park? If I have to choose I will be going to Lane's End, Three Chimneys, Mill Ridge, Overbrook, Coolmore and Adena. I'm hoping I will see enough farms and stallions I want to see on the farm tour that I can just visit the farms I "need" to see.

for nearly a month before derby, louisville is packed full of neat things going on horsie and non horsie related. If your there then you should really try to catch "thunder" which is officially called thunder over louisville. it's the worlds largest (or at least was when i was there) fireworks display which kicks off derby celebrations. There is a whole bunch of things that go on. The chow wagons are fun if you like to do the night life thing. Derby parties can be a blast if you can manage to get invited to one, which probably not being from the area might be hard to just get in on one.

I did one of those hired tours of the farms in Keenland and was very dissapointed with it. I wouldn't do it again.. rather a waste of money....i think it was called something like "bluegrass tours". they say they'll show you the horse park.. YEAH.. they drive in the driveway and say "this is the horse park" then keep on trucking. About all you get to see is the Man O War statue!

The horse park is BEAUTIFUL.. and if your at all into big horses you should aim to be there for Rolex (i thin it's usually the week before derby). it's the Only CCI **** event in North America and i believe one of only ike 5 in the world. it's a SPECTACULAR event. it's alot of fun to watch all three phases and the vendors are encredable! you'll get to see as much of the horse park as you like and walk through the Cross country feilds....if you went during rolex and see one of the greatest events in the world.

Not on a horse related topic but Mamoth caves (largest known cave system) which is more down near bowling green a hour or two outside of louisville is alot of fun to visit if you like things like that! there are MANY differnt tours they take you on through the caves. I did two of them. One took you into a cave that had a whole lot of natural formations like stalagtites and mites, gypsom blossomes, ect ect ect. that was really pretty. Then we did the actually mamouth cave tour where you get to see the old TB clinic, and prehistoric cave art ect. I really enjoyed myself on that trip.

you might be able to check and see if the Shelbyville Fairgrounds will be having any show's. they tend to host some very large famous saddlebred and gaited horse show's.

The Louisville fair grounds also usually has a lot of horse functions going on there as well.

If you like amusement parks 6-flags over louisville is right on the fairgrounds.

You can visit churchill almost any time. they have the derby museum, which i never actually made it to... but i did attend the derby two years in a row and was a truly amazing experience. the first year i lucked out and got club house box seat tickets given to me.. the second year i got asked to braid the ponies on the backside. I was fortunate enough to experience both sides!

there is always sooooo much going on there that i can't even think of things! if i think of anything else i'll mention it.

For those of you who might be interested, I thought I would update! I have booked my room at the Rodeway Inn in Lexington for April 23-30!!! I am SO excited and I can't wait! I have decided that nothing is going to stop me from going!
default_yes.gif
:

I am most certainly going on my own, since no one would like go with me, but that's alright! I get to do what I want and go where I want!

*does a little dance*

We go down to Lexington the first week of every June for our Saluki National at the Horse Park. It is held in conjunction with the Pyramid Society Egyptian Event (to die for Egyptian Arabians) and that is well worth

seeing if you like Arabs at all.

This year when we were down there they are starting to get ready to hold the World Equestrian games in 2010, which is going to be a HUGE event.

Lots of hotels in the area, many folks like the LaQuinta at exit 115 off of I-75. We usually stay in

the Horsepark Campground but this past year we only went for two days so stayed at the

Country Inn and Suites at Exit 126 in Georgetown. Oh and Georgetown has a lovely little area

of antique stores and beautiful, old homes.

At any rate, whereever you stay down there will be beautiful, we just love it down there.

Have fun! :bgrin

Shelley

Latest posts

Back