Kentucky Horse Park/International Museum

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDogs & LittleHorses

Reaction score
Just saw the coolest show on RFD-TV about the Kentucky Horse Park and International Horse Museum. Wow, what a place! I'd love to go check it out.

Anyone been there and what did you think of it?

Daryl

Yes it's in Georgetown where my relatives live. Been there a lot. It's fun. They have shows where they present the parade of breeds and then go to the barns and mess around in them and meet the horses. There's movies to watch and a really cool gift store. Love that gift store. It's a very nice place. Great for a day trip. Very relaxing and pretty. The gardens are lovely. Well worth the trip.

I was there 2 times several years ago.. As the Arabian Nationals are in Louisville, KY. every other year I have been to them and also went to the Horse Park. and Also the Mammoth caves, lol... And I guess the same movie is playing "To Fly Without Wings" Fantastic saw that back in 1980.. and according to the Parks web site they are still showing that film...Great movie...

Yes, I've been there, and YES! it's so worth the trip! I met the great John Henry (several other retired racers too, but he's the one that sticks out in my mind), visited the grave of Man O'War, went to the museum, ate some wonderful BBQ beans... They were getting the grounds ready for a Rolex 3-Day Event the following weekend, and I so wanted to be able to stay. I can't wait to go back. Ha! I just realized I'm wearing my K.H.P. t-shirt!

I have been there several times --- worth it every trip.

Great Museums and live horse exhibits.

The Kentucky Horse Park

Hall of Champions

There are several miniature horse shows held at the park every summer. Also Breyerfest is held there.

Lots of fun things to do and see.

JJay

I visited the KHP when I attended the first Breyerfest, in 1990.

It was a great deal of fun, though I attended alone, I still had a wonderful visit filled w/my favorite animal!

Liz M.

We show there twice a year. (since early 1980's) It is a wonderful facility but the time of year that we go, it is so incredibly hot. The Horse Park is a beautiful place with lots to see and lots of history.

Carol

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, never been there. But I want to visit Kentucky someday and that is one of the places I want to go!
yes.gif

JJay....thanks for the Kentucky Horse Park link!
smile.gif

Back in 1985 when we lived in Ohio we took our two kids to the KHP. Lo & behold they were having the Julep Cup Miniature Horse Show - thus the beginning of our hobby............. We enjoyed touring the rest of the park also... We started showing our mini's at the Julep Cup Show every year in July (we now live only 50 minutes away).

We go to the Kentucky Horse Park at least twice a year, sometimes more. You will love the museum. When I retire, my dream job is to be the museum greeter.

There is a very nice older lady that does it now. I believe she told us she was 92. She still drives and loves the museum/the kids. I think the horse park is more fun when a special event or horse show is going on so be sure to look for one.

Freida

"Kentucky born and bred"

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

It's beautiful, and huge!!! They have lots of beautiful horses, all different breeds and some famouse ones too! I was there twice for Breyerfest and I had a blast! I didn't get to see the whole park since I was mostly doing Breyerfest activities so I'd love to go there again just for the park itself. You'll love it!

I spend a week there every June - our Saluki Nationals are held there at the Horse Park (in conjunction with The Pyramid Society Egyptian Event). The Kentucky Horse Park ranks up there at one of our very favorite places on this earth. We just love it there. This was my 12th year there and the first time we have actually had time to "do the horse park". It was worth it. Seeing those wonderful old horses brings tears to your eyes and the parade of breeds is very interesting.

They also have a VERY nice campgrounds which we stay at for the week.

And just a drive around the countryside in the surrounding area is worth the trip. Such beautiful horse farms!!

We'd love to live in that area someday...

Shelley

I was there in 1978 just before they opened even~! They had already moved the Man Of War Statue but weren't ready to open yet.. But then in 1980 when I went back to the Arabian Nationals in Louisville, then they were open.. A real neat place to visit can't wait to get down there again after all it has been over 25 years
new_shocked.gif

Latest posts

Back