Kentucky Horse Park - Going for first time - Julep Cup

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarRidgeAcres

Hi All
default_saludando.gif

I know this is my second question about this (sort of) but I'm still confused and really need some help so I can complete our reservations for the Julep Cup.

Can anyone tell me...

If we're taking our living quarters trailer and hope to park it and stay in it, is the "camp ground" where I should reserve a spot?

If so, are the trailers next to tents? I'm thinking our generator will drive people in tents nuts!
default_wacko.png

Are the spots paved, gravel or dirt?

The camp ground is huge - which part is where I should be if we're showing horses? I can't find a map that shows both the camp ground and the arena (in relation to each other).

Sorry, but I really get stressed going to a new location and not knowing ahead of time how it's going work.
default_unsure.png

ANY help will be greatly appreciated!
default_yes.gif

Parmala,

The Kentucy park has actual camp grounds that are WONDERFUL!!! I went once to the show there and have always wanted to go back, but it is a 14 hour drive for me and with diesel prices the way they are, too expensive for me to go.

I hope that you have a great time and do some WINNING!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

If your trailer is self contained and you won't need the electricity or water, ask to be put in the over flow which is right above the arena. You can see the entire arena from there. Its quiet, not to many park up there so your generator won't disturb anyone and you still have full access to the camp ground facilities. But you will need a golf cart no matter where you park.

Oh and even if you do need electricity and water, they have that in the over flow parking area too. Its also easier to get in and out of with a big trailer.

Good luck and I hope you have a great time.

Karen,

That's great info!
default_aktion033.gif
Thank you very much. I KNEW there had to be a place like you describe but when I called the reservation number and tried explaining that I wanted to be in a parking lot near the arena where a large horse trailer could be parked, the girl knew NOTHING! She eventually confessed that she was in some other state and didn't actually know what the facility looked like. :DOH! She gave me a number that was supposed to be a direct number to the Horse Park and it never picked up, no message, nothing.

Will anyone else be staying in their trailer?

We only live about 25 minutes from the KY Horse Park and will be showing there

this year.

Since we live so close it's easier for us to show from our trailer and return

home each day. However, the campgrounds are super nice, even has a pool.

But they are not located really close to the barns or the arena. You can walk the

distance don't get me wrong but it would take you a while. The overflow area

that was mentioned earlier would probably be your best option if your tailer

is self-contained. That lot is closer a much shorter walk
default_yes.gif

and is within sight of the covered arena and some of the barns depending on

which one you would be stabled in.

Also, if you are going to stay in the overflow parking, you do NOT need to go

in the campground entrance. Go in the Main entrance to the park and veer right

keep following that road until you cross the Dam by the pond and steeplechase

arena the overflow parking will be on your left. (This is also the same way to come in

to go to the barns.)

Hope this helps and Good Luck at the Show.....

We only live about 25 minutes from the KY Horse Park and will be showing therethis year.

Since we live so close it's easier for us to show from our trailer and return

home each day. However, the campgrounds are super nice, even has a pool.

But they are not located really close to the barns or the arena. You can walk the

distance don't get me wrong but it would take you a while. The overflow area

that was mentioned earlier would probably be your best option if your tailer

is self-contained. That lot is closer a much shorter walk
default_yes.gif

and is within sight of the covered arena and some of the barns depending on

which one you would be stabled in.

Also, if you are going to stay in the overflow parking, you do NOT need to go

in the campground entrance. Go in the Main entrance to the park and veer right

keep following that road until you cross the Dam by the pond and steeplechase

arena the overflow parking will be on your left. (This is also the same way to come in

to go to the barns.)

Hope this helps and Good Luck at the Show.....
This helps a TON! Thank you so much!!
default_yes.gif

Parmela,

I don't have any help for you, but know what you mean about stressing about a new place. I have a love/hate thing for new places. Excitement at being able to do something new and stress about doing something new. I am doing the stress thing about Congress. We want to stay in the stalls, but don't know what we are looking at for sure. I am sure it will be fine and we will have a great time, but still the unknown is so darn hard to wait for.

Have a great time. I have heard many good things about that show. Let us all know how you do there. How many horses are you taking?

Angie

Been years since I was there but I SURE remember that the golf cart was a wonderful investment
default_biggrin.png

I couldn't imagine a park where that was necessary, fretted over the idea and expense, WOW -- sooo glad I had gone ahead and gotten it.

Oh, the park is beautiful -- all of it -- but the campgrounds are fantastic. So even if you use the overflow, ride thru them for the enjoyment.

Good luck at the show!!!!!!

Most people use the actual camp ground where the pool and tennis courts are located, but it is a little ways off. The overflow, as everyone is calling it, is often called the camp ground as well, but it is the best place to park. We trailer in (as we are close) for the day and park there because it is easy to get to all the rings from there, especially the indoor, you are directly above it. It is also very quiet and peaceful up there for the most part. A generator should not be a problem wherever you end up because most people do camp in rvs or lq trailers and the tent campers are generally connected to them. (they also have a rural campground where most tent campers stay). Have fun, the park is a bit of a mess right now getting ready for 2010, I have been fighting the construction traffic all summer
default_rolleyes.gif
but it is still a great facility, especially if you have never been.

Latest posts

Back