Kennel cough

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
lady who bought a mini from me wants to come and visit. Her dog was just diognosed with kennel cough. She was worried if the minis can catch it. I dont think so but I was wondering if anyone knew for sure??

lady who bought a mini from me wants to come and visit. Her dog was just diognosed with kennel cough. She was worried if the minis can catch it. I dont think so but I was wondering if anyone knew for sure??

Yes, sounds like other animals housed together can get it?

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/kennel_koff.html

Better safe than sorry, would not hurt for her to wait to visit, incase it is not Kennel Cough might be flu bug also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, horses can get bordetellosis, which is caused by the bacteria bordetella bronchiseptica--one of the organisms most often associated with kennel cough. However, it is very rare in horses and from what my vet book says it's unlikely that a horse will get it unless he is already weakened by some other condition.

There was someone that had a horse diagnosed with this a year or two ago. I was thinking it was someone on here, or a close friend or relative of someone on here, but maybe I'm thinking of a different board. I remember someone posted about it and there was discussion about how rare the condition is in horses, and how it's to be hoped that this won't become a more common horse ailment in the future.

Can this person not come to visit without her dog??? I'd think that if the dog is ill it would be better if it stayed home anyway.

My dog caught it last year while being boarded. I still went out and visited the horses on a regular baises as well as the other dogs(with out the sick dog) and nobody else got it.

Latest posts

Back