Keeping Track of What You Read... Do You?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
Do you all keep track of the books you have read?

I haven't done a good job but this year, I am making a list! I have, more than once, purchased a book, got part way into it, and knew it sounded too familiar!

A very light New Year's Resolution for me is to keep track of titles, authors, and dates I finished reading. Now that I'm hooked up with Audible.com , at least they will not let me buy the same book 2x, but that doesn't neccessarily mean I wouldn't listen to one 1+ times (thinking "wow this sounds familiar!"), In the past, I have purchased audio and hard copy books more than 1x, and dug in more than once!!! (Too much Nutrasweet???)

Right now, I am on my 4th book of the year. I'm excited to "see" how many make my list for 2013!!! And am anxiously looking for some new ones from favorite authors! (How much is enough? Well, just a little bit MORE!)

What about YOU? Do you keep track of what you have already read?

I don't usually other than I keep a list of the books in series so I know which one I need next and books I want to read. I have my account set for my library card to keep track of what I have checked out so I can go back and look for an author or series if I forget (which is often) where I stopped or who I like.

I did want to keep track of my books this year, because I'm curious how many books I go through in one year, so thanks for reminding me and prompting me to get started!

Yep. I have a record of every book I have read in the past couple years (since my book obsession really got carried away). I have a Shelfari account through amazon.com, where I have my own personal bookshelf online. Everytime I read a book, I add it to my shelf. It's sort of like a twitter/forum type site where you can follow other people and then when they add a book to their shelf, you can see it. It's how I get most of my book recommendations. Most of my 'friends' are strangers who I share my book likes with, and the great part is that the only conversation we have is viewing each others shelves and seeing their current books and reviews (unless you want to converse, which you can). You can give each book you read a star rating, so years down the road you can see if you liked the book or not.

My shelf is in my signature link.
default_smile.png

I'll have to check out the shelf, I haven't heard of that one. I think the next one in The Selection doesn't come out until March, but I can't remember for sure.

You guys should. Then we can be Shelfari Friends.
default_smile.png

Kim, I looked it up and the sequel is called The Elite. I wonder if it will just be the two books?

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to find a way to keep track of what I read also. Many times I take out a book to find that I've already read it. I do have a list of books I already own by John Grisham and Dick Francis that I carry with me so I won't buy it again. What is Shelfari?

Lucky, click on the link in my signature. It will show you my bookshelf, which has everything I've read the past couple of years on it. Shelfari is an amazon.com hosted site for book lovers.

Thanks, I'll look into it. I loved browsing on Amazon,will be there more often. So many books that looked interesting. Did you like The Shack?

To be honest, I have mixed feelings about The Shack. It started out really good, I liked the family interaction and the mystery. Then it started to get a little too religious for me and I got a little confused. So of course that slowed me down because I was a bit bored. But then I started to appreciate some of the 'messages' that were talked about, and they left me thinking about life and people. Overall I liked it, it was just totally different then what I thought it was going to be. Have you read it?

I just finished reading the Shack...it was very different than I expected! And like you, I found myself confused and really had to think about it as I read. I did enjoy it and how it made me think more about things I haven't questioned before!

Never read it because I wasn't sure that I would like it. But now I think I'll give it a try sometime. I ordered Eaters and can't wait to start that one. I took 5 books out of our small library and after starting 3 of them, found that I had read them before. That leaves me with 2 new ones. I'm going to start making a list of books that I finish and another for the ones I didn't like and didn't finish. This is maddening, I'm going to have to visit a larger library.

Lucky, did you look into a Shelfari? You can list books you've already read, give them a star rating, and list books you'd like to read in the future.

Keeping track of what I've read would be admitting I have a problem. It would also be proof of my husbands side of the "you read too much" argument. I'd hate for him to be able to have that kind of hard evidence. LOL!

I love reading books again and again though so if I load one on my kindle that I have already read I'll usually just read it again.

Glad I'm not the only one who's husband says things about the amount of books I have. Lol. His argument is always 'why buy more? You haven't read all the ones you aready have.' I then kindly remind him how much less stress (and bad attitude) I have now.
default_smile.png

Just started reading The Shack and like it. Also received Eaters in the mail so my reading material is set for at least a week. Now to start a Shelfari and I'll be organized. My husband doesn't mind if I read alot, although my mother (93 yo) thinks buying them is a waste of money. I did purge some books from my shelves to donate to the library for their book sales, this way I'll have room for the new books I want to try. I want to read the Odd Thomas book series but can't find the earlier books at the library or department stores. Way too cold to be outside working with my mini boy.

Lucky, when you start a Shelfari, let me know and we can be Shelfari friends.
default_smile.png
My husband just started Eaters and is on chapter 3. He likes it so far too.
default_smile.png

I just joined. How do I meet people on it? I clicked on the facebook link and nothing came up. Can't wait to meet some people and find out what everyone is reading.

Latest posts

Back