keeping minis busy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tara

Reaction score
Hi! I am not interested in showing my minis but would like to keep the two I have busy so they don't get bored. Besides taking walks with them does anyone have any ideas. I have thought of setting up an obstacle course but am really not sure what would be appropriate. Thanks for any suggestions.

Driving can be a lot of fun for both you and the horses. You could have one or both trained if they're not already.

Feeding them 3-4 times a day vs. 2x a day is also great if you can do so.

Some of them like to play with balls for fun.

And, horses are usually fairly "lazy". Mine seem to love taking a couple naps a day, hanging out under a tree with each other, just not doing a lot beyond grooming each other and waiting on the next meal to be served
default_biggrin.png

You can do an obstacle couse out of stuff you have around the house. Use an old piece of hose in a circle to teach them to pivot. A few 2x4 boards to back through and side pass over. You can elevate a 2x8 for them to walk on, etc. I really enjoy teaching mine obstacle, allows me to spend good quality time, we really bond, and gain trust and respect for each other.

I am triaining one of mine to jump and it is fun. Also, to drive. I also enjoy bring kids out, to groom and run around with.

I also enjoy just sitting and watching them.

Lildrummer
default_biggrin.png

Hi! I am not interested in showing my minis but would like to keep the two I have busy so they don't get bored. Besides taking walks with them does anyone have any ideas. I have thought of setting up an obstacle course but am really not sure what would be appropriate. Thanks for any suggestions.
I do feed them 3 times a day. I think I want an excuse to spend more time daily with them after cleaning stalls, grooming etc. Thanks for the great ideas.

Oh, you could also teach them tricks -- like bow, sit, shake hands, etc.! I've always wanted one of mine to learn those things, but haven't taught them (and so they've not learned)
default_biggrin.png

my big momma mini mare has a trick..........she knows how to shake the gate at 5 o'clock....and scream for dinner.........joy

I'm in a similar situation.. Don't care for showing.

Here's what I do with Bailey and Willow...

We enter local parades..

IMG_4996.jpg

107_0708.jpg

100_0014-1.jpg

I have trained both of them to shake hands..

100_0023.jpg

100_0034.jpg

They both stand on their pedestal.. They actually stand up there together too.

IMG_4984.jpg

104_0459.jpg

I have also trained them both to walk backwards with voice and hand commands, but it's kind of hard to capture that on film!

There is much more to these little horses than showing them. I mean, people have cats and dogs and just enjoy their company without showing right!?

[SIZE=10pt]One of my geldings is being taught tricks..he has somewhat mastered 'shake'!
default_smile.png
[/SIZE]

One of my geldings can be ridden so he is ridden by young girls and boys every so often.

My other two horses are just there. Haha.

But most of the time, they are there to just be loved on! They hate balls, and never play with the really cool toys I buy them. They would rather play with the feed tubs, and each other! :DOH!

default_wub.png

Thanks for all the great ideas. I love the adorable pictures! Sounds like I can do lots with my two.

Teaching tricks is alot of fun! And can give you a very well behaved little horse.

Jelly Bean and I have got a whole routine! Hugs & kisses, Smile, Shake, Stand on pedastal, Pick up things I point to (great if they'er mouthy), Show left foot; right foot, Ring the bell, Get the ball, Spin around, Bow; Stretch (like a show pony), Pick up/choose red or blue (bandana or frisbee)

And if you work on ground manners alot; "Dance" with me, Stand, Walk, Trot, Move your butt, Go sideways, Out (away)....Many more! Most all have voice and hand cues.

Other than walking and sitting with them, I know what you mean by feeding them 3 times a day just to spend more time with them! Mine get 5! LOL I probably see them more than most parents do their kids! But I'm retired and have nothing better to do! It's not that I don't have other things to do; just nothing better
default_biggrin.png
Have fun & enjoy!

My Goldie won't probably be bred more than once either and here is her job!

We do this weekly:

10-28-06.jpg

Goldie10-28-06.jpg

12-28-06.jpg

Also, when ever I walk, I work to find something new to expose them to, so as far as obsticals, a tarp to walk over a baby pool to splash in, a curb or ramp. Goldie walked out onto a boat dock with me. I think she would do almost anything I asked her!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back