keeping mini donkeys

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt] We have been looking around at some local breeders for a miniature donkey as a companion. [/SIZE]

So far I have not had a very warm welcome once I tell them I want to keep it with my mini horses as a buddy/heard guard. Why is that?

I always thought that donkeys were great companions for horses. How many of you keep them together and what are some problems that I could face?

Thanks so much!
worshippy.gif

DEE

I have 3 donkey, all AMDR. I keep them with my mini horses. I got mine in exchange for putting up a fence. I know someone here who is having a jack sale at very reasonable prices. THey have to many. They Arcadia Excotics, Slippery Rock, PA.

I have 1 mini gleding and 1 mini donkey and they adore each other! (see the avatar ;) ) I have had NO prblems except for the fact Priscilla HATED being away from Willy and I started stalling them together and all probs are solved
laugh.gif

I have my 2 mini weanling boys Jakob and Jonah in with my 6 weanling fillies and 1 weanling colt.

So far they are all getting along well together, the fillies do tend to be a bit "sassy" to the donkey boys but the colt is good to them.

They are funny to watch and remind me of teen-agers. At times the fillies are the best buddies with the boys and at other times they act like they just have no time for them.

Well I just got back from a local breeder and I just fell in love with what he had! Their yearlings were rather shy, but all his Jennies were right up in our faces wanting pets. We fell in love with a little girl and are going back out to see her tomorrow.

The owner didn't know much about mini horses, but he does know people who have mini horses and donkeys together without any problems.

Thanks!

DEE

I hope you get her and can't wait for pictures!

I have said it before but I just adore my little donkey girl - I went to a farm looking for another mini and saw his donkeys and that was it I had to have one!

I know I like my little mini donk..He is just about 3 yrs old now and this sprng I will have him gelded, and then get a 2nd one so he has a freind
smile.gif

We went to pick up a chocolate baby jenny the day after Xmas and came home with 2 little Jennys. We put them in with a gelding the other day and they get along fine.We plan on putting them in with our brood mares later on.Just love them.
yes.gif

Filipowicz Farm said:
We went to pick up a chocolate baby jenny the day after Xmas and came home with 2 little Jennys. We put them in with a gelding the other day and they get along fine.We plan on putting them in with our brood mares later on.Just love them.
yes.gif
So what did you name them ?
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back