keeping hawks away from chickens

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkblazin

Reaction score
Recently a coopers hawk has been going after my bantum flock. He needs to go!

One of my favorites was taken yesterday, thus the start of " the chicken and hawk wars". My roo attacks him but, the hawk is gutsy. I can get about 20ft away from him and he isn't fazzed.

So how does one deal with a hawk? I chased him all over the yard. And my girls are free range. I don't want to resort the putting them in a run. I'm desperate! Please if anyone has ideas

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep mine in a run or when let out in a yard next to the house with plenty of cover like bushes they can get under. I only have 2 hens tho. We have a red hawk near us and if I hear it I'll go and check on mine. They usually take cover when he's around.

You might check out backyardchickens.com for more ideas. I know there are little camo covers you can put on their backs to disguise them, but it probably isn't practical with a lot of chickens.

Livestock guardian dogs are great at watching the skies for birds of prey. You would want an adult that is already familiar with protecting fowl and might be lucky enough to find a reputable breeder that is ready to retire an adult dog to a good home. The thing is that they sleep a lot during the day since they stay up all night guarding. While having one would reduce the risk of your chickens being taken, it would not guarantee around the clock protection.

Wish I could be of help.....We keep our chickens in a fenced area and cover it all with netting.

Some friends of mine have guinea hens added to their flock.. alarm birds of a sort. I have heard of hanging reflective things in branches of trees like old CD's. Other than that, folks around here use overhead netting.

best wishes.

Guineas get snatched too by coopers.

I highly suggest a covered run. Otherwise it will continue to come back until all are gone.

I raise bantams and its the only way.

I am sorry for your loss. I too keep my banties covered because the hawks around here are ruthless. I've tried everything, owl statues, coyote cutouts, blinking lights, reflective deterrants, even cammoflauge vests for the chickens (they were a gift) to no avail. I bought a $99 carport at bennys and covered it in deer netting. Haven't lost a single bird since.20130729_062846.jpg

SSS
default_yes.gif

Thank you everyone for the thoughts and ideas. As for the Guinea's sounding the alarm, it isn't nessasry. My roo does that. Actually he is so alert that if a sparrow fly's over he sounds the alarm lol. I haven't had a problem for several years. But now that this guy moved in, well you know what has happened. The silkies are the main problem. They dont run, and they don't listen to the roo! Ahhhh I am blaming it on there abnormally large topknots.

I am looking into getting a run for them, hopfully he will go away. Doubtful, but if he does they can go back to free ranging.

And funny thing is, my polish flock is way more alert than the other breeds.... Yet they have big topknots. They run around like roadrunners, literally. Well thank you for the replies, I am off to rig up something.
default_smile.png

Amysue, that is a slick run you have! Great idea!

Our situation is more complicated because we have a Willow tree in the center of their area, we

had to hang the netting around the tree.

Id say shoot that **** hawk but that is easier said than done. They're elusive little buzzards. The good thing about car ports is that they're light weight so you can move them around thus allowing your chickens to graze. Hanging netting around trees is an art form, plus falling leaves and limbs are good for tearing it down...been there. Trees do offer birds much needed protection and shade. You could try decoys to discourage the hawk, I've put lawn flammingoes out where my ducks grazed and the second or third time the hawks picked them up only to find they were plastic they quit trying. Google pics of chicken tractors or swing set coops to get ideas for portable coops if you are looking to move the banties around. Paula's hoop coop idea would be great for your situation. Good luck.

Lol amysue , I have gone after him with a pellet gun. But I'm to nice so I hit the branch he is on. Although when we had a redtail snoopin around I got his butt feathers.....missed the branch lol ;). But yeah easier said than done. And that redtail never came back
default_smile.png

I think it's illegal to shoot them......

I think it is illegal to shoot them too....didn't stop me. Shoot first, ask questions later. Its only illegal if u get caught. My best friend goes after them with a paintball gun. Usually does the job.

yes it is....but as amysue said only if you get caught. And I don't aim to kill. Just Mame..jk I aim for the branch and they get all flusterd. Well as flustered as a hawk can get.

Lol a paintball gun! I can't stop laughing. I'm picturing a hawk flying around that looks like a vangough. Haha well I guess then you know if there is more than one.

And honestly hawks are getting as bad as pigeons and sparrows.

I loved letting my chickens free range, but one by one they were picked off. Now the girls live in a long, narrow run between our two corrals with bird netting over the top.

Since then, we've put up perimeter fencing and got our Great Pyrenees, Norah. While LGDs do need to grow up before their protective instincts truly kick in, Norah became aware of the hawks and bald eagles flying overhead while she was still very young, barking and warning them off.

With Norah on duty, we may try free ranging once again.

Here's a solution from my friend at work....a........A......

.......AAAA...........

A BAG OF BREAD!!!!!

She owns a 5-6 lb. chihuahua. While exercising her in the back yard this last summer, she noted the hawk eyeballing the little dog. So, remained extra vigilant. When she saw the hawk swooping, she ran screeching out the kitchen door, still clutching the loaf of bread she'd been about to open. The screeching didn't deter the hawk. The swinging loaf of bread, on the other hand, stopped him in mid-swoop and sent him back to the treeline!!

Haha I'll have to try that next time I see him! Lol I don't know what my neighbors will say...haha!
default_smile.png
great ideas thank you everyone for the help
default_smile.png

With the ever-present birds of prey around here, I always worry about our Maltese, Billie Holiday. Fortunately, Billie and Norah are best buds, but I still never leave my tiny one outside.

Latest posts

Back