Kay - Mini in OK

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davie

Reaction score
Just talked to a lady that took in a black mini stallion who was out for a stroll and she is needing to get him placed. She has conctacted the area animal shelter and animal control officers and no one has reported a missing mini.

Is there anything we can do to help this little guy. I can take him in and geld him but would need to find a home for him pretty soon.

Any suggestions -- Oh, she did say he has some indication of founder in his front feet and needs to be seen by a farrier pretty soon--founder looks to a prior problem as he is not lame at this time.

Going to stop by tonight and check on this little guy.

Hi Davie,

How long has she had this guy? Has she filed a report with the police that she found him? Often people that loose livestock call the police and not necessarily the humane society. She needs to find out what the laws are in your area as far as returning the horse to the owner before she does anything else. Some places require that you take reasonable actions (ie running a "found" add in the paper, contacting the shelter and police, ect to report this" before the horse will legally change ownership.) She needs to know all of that. Also, have her contact www.netposse.com as well as this is a well known organization that may have a report of a missing horse as well.

After she knows that all the laws of your state concerning this horse are followed, only then would I take him in and geld him. Until then, she should keep him and keep extremely detailed factual records of what the cost of care and food is so that she can charge that to the owners. After all, the owners are responsible for that care plus boarding fees.

Another source to contact may be the state vet to see if any one has reported this horse lost to the vets in the area (just a longshot idea I had as I have never went looking for a lost horse), and if your area has one, the brand inspector. The brand inspector can probably tell you a ton about the legalities of haveing this horse and finding the owner. You may also want to contact all the clubs in the area (big and little horses as often people who have minis also have contacts in the big horse world.) And post found fliers at all the local feed stores and horse supply stores.

Someone somewhere knows about this horse, the thing is finding them.

Good luck and sorry I couldn't help more.

I would also make the owner show proof that he is actually their horse. Sometimes people see a found ad and jump on it like it was their own.......scoundrels........

SunQuest said:
Hi Davie,
How long has she had this guy? Has she filed a report with the police that she found him? Often people that loose livestock call the police and not necessarily the humane society. She needs to find out what the laws are in your area as far as returning the horse to the owner before she does anything else. Some places require that you take reasonable actions (ie running a "found" add in the paper, contacting the shelter and police, ect to report this" before the horse will legally change ownership.) She needs to know all of that. Also, have her contact www.netposse.com as well as this is a well known organization that may have a report of a missing horse as well.

After she knows that all the laws of your state concerning this horse are followed, only then would I take him in and geld him. Until then, she should keep him and keep extremely detailed factual records of what the cost of care and food is so that she can charge that to the owners. After all, the owners are responsible for that care plus boarding fees.

Another source to contact may be the state vet to see if any one has reported this horse lost to the vets in the area (just a longshot idea I had as I have never went looking for a lost horse), and if your area has one, the brand inspector. The brand inspector can probably tell you a ton about the legalities of haveing this horse and finding the owner. You may also want to contact all the clubs in the area (big and little horses as often people who have minis also have contacts in the big horse world.) And post found fliers at all the local feed stores and horse supply stores.

Someone somewhere knows about this horse, the thing is finding them.

Good luck and sorry I couldn't help more.

344610[/snapback]

Where in OK did you find this little guy? I live in Bartlesville area and may be able to help foster or keep the little one if no one claims him. Let me know, I will help if I can . Good luck in finding the owners as I am sure someone will miss him soon.

Update on this boy. I went by to see him Wednesday and he is a miniature about 32.5" tall. Solid black--not a spot on him and all BOY!!! Easy to approach and handle but he does want to turn his butt towards you--so at this time giving him a wide berth. He does have some mishapen front feet as they are somewhat long but I believe a good visit with the farrier will correct that. The lady that has him thinks that is an indication of founder--we will see what the farrier says. He is in excellent weight.

I can't believe this lady has had him almost 3 weeks now and no one has put up notices about a missing mini and nothing as been reported to the Animal Control or the Cleveland County Sherriff's Office.

I have made arrangements with her to pick him up Saturday (if it is not pouring rain) and get him to the house and have the vet come by and make sure all is well. Will post notices at all of the area stores and feed stores and in the Norman Paper and if no response, will make an appointment for him with the vet for gelding and then see if we can find him a new home.

Anyone have any suggestions for a Name. Will try and post photos here when I get him home.

hi davie

did you get my message yesterday
smile.gif
call me saturday ok?

Kay

I see that you found the ''Roving Gentleman ""who was out for a stroll in the Norman area. Isnt that towards Oklahoma City ? I will still offer help if you need it,

altho I am a little ways away. Sounds like you have it under control and he will be in good hands soon. I will look forward to seeing his pictures. Good luck and God Bless.

How about "Wandering Willie"!!!
aktion033.gif
I can't believe no one has claimed him! I wonder if there is a possibility that he was stolen from somewhere farther away and managed to escape when he ended up by you? I would be very careful about the gelding thing, wait for a long time, imagine if your herd sire was stolen, taken maybe thousands of miles away and when you finally find him, he's a gelding with a full book of mares!! This could be very very touchy and end up in court. Has a nationwide bulletin of some sort been given? There have been some horses stolen from Canada as well in the past few months. Be very careful on this one. If it were me, I would keep him 6 months to a year, as a stallion, contact as many states as I could and maybe somehow get legal custody of him, with signatures up the wahzoo from judges, lawyers, whoever it takes!

Latest posts

Back