Katrina: Lesson Learned--No politics or opinions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherry

Reaction score
There are other threads where people can post their feelings about how Katrina was handled or lack of; whose to blame, humans vs animals etc... bottom line is we can't change what has happened we can only move forward from here & learn. The main theme that keeps coming back to me is WHAT WOULD YOU DO??

I know I won't cover all the reasons but there seems to be two main responses. 50% of the people would leave ahead of time & 50% of the people state they could not or would not leave their animals. Obviously the 50% that left ahead of time are going to be fine so lets see what we can do about the 50% left behind. Main reason people would not leave their animals is two fold either no $ to do so or no place to go. That got me to thinking. If told in a few days notice that Mother Nature might visit I have tons of places in several different states my family & I could easily go. Relatives, friends etc... but of all the people I know in any state other than texas (assuming I had to leave the state) I have no one that could take my 15 minis. This would be like telling me I couldn't take my children. SO THIS IS MY PLEDGE & HOPE ALL WILL JOIN IN!!!!

TO ALL MINIATURE HORSE LOVERS:

Next time Mother Nature comes calling with her Katrina look alike in any state your minis are welcome at my house. Lets find a way for the minis & their families to get out safely BEFORE something happens.

1. Call me & tell me you have xxx amount of horses & need somewhere for them to be safe till whatever passes & you have $ & will bring them down. Great head on out.

2. Call me & tell me you have xxx amount of horses & no $ to get them down & I will dig into my pocket & give you the $ to get here & horses safe.

3. Call me & tell me you have xxx amount of horses & no $ to get them down & I will dig into my poket & I find I have no $ to get you here
no.gif
then I get on the forum & we all pitch in just like we have these last few days & find you a safe place for you & the minis.
aktion033.gif

Get the idea?? Buddy system in some other state so we know that someone will understand & help when we call up stating I have 50 horses & no way out etc...

What do you guys think??? Put my name on the list. Any one else???

Hope this doesn't sound stupid but really if I was told tonight I had three days to go (as a example) I could easily go somewhere for the four that is in my family but who could I call & say oh by the way can you house my 15 minis, two dogs & one cat???

This is one area we can learn from Katrina. Better prepared for the next time.

Sherry

Good idea Sherry.

My trailer is too small to take my two big girls and five minis. I said yesterday that I don't know what I'd do if I was faced with that situation.

Far to many people place their own welfare and existance on the government. We should all have a plan to help ourselves for atleast a period of time in a natural disaster be it from fire, storm or accident. There are many contingincies that can be prepared for so that in many cases most people could be self sustaining for a period of atleast a few days without dire consiquences. While we cannot of course prepare for every possible scenerio just the knowledge that in most cases we will not suffer unduly for a period of time would be enough to keep many people and animals from harm.

Geese as usual you nailed it, at least for me. It is so very important to get prepared, we have been for many years with extra food, water--for us and our animals, cash and protection. I pity the fools who's try to loot us. Don't expect anyone to save you in a disaster, it's up to you to take care of you and your own.

My suggestion is someone make a list and publish it to forum members only.......sorta like the Chrismas card exchange .

That way you could put your name on the list , how many horses, dogs , cats,people you could accomodate and contact info.Also if you could help in transport.

I know some horse owners that don't even own a trailer to move their own.

We can only haul a limited amount and would take several trips to get them all moved.

Then, if there is an emergency situation people that are close to each other could get in touch and make plans "hopefully" before a tragedy strikes.

Far to many people place their own welfare and existance on the government. We should all have a plan to help ourselves for atleast a period of time in a natural disaster be it from fire, storm or accident

EXACTLY!!!!!!

Evacuation in Florida is very real.

We refused evacuations twice and that's when we had gotten flooding and property damage. We should have left but Jerry was stubborn and insisted on stacking up the furniture on concrete blocks to try to save it and everything. After that if we were told to get out, we grabbed my mom and aunt and got the heck out. You live and you learn.

Everyone that has a horse should have a trailer or access to a trailer at all times. This is so important and people just don't realize it until it's too late. You have to have wheels to move.

In Florida we had a plan and a place to go to. There are marked evacuation routes everywhere. All horses at my stable had trailers availble and all horses were trained to get in any trailer at any time.

After we would come back from a show in our convoy of trailers, we all would take the horses that were left home, and practiced loading them in eachother's trailers before we unhitched just to be sure they would always get in. The last thing we needed was to end up fighting for hours on end with a big horse that won't load.

Trailer stayed cleaned and loaded with the basics, halters, leads, first aid, flashlights, leg wraps, head bumpers, hoses, buckets etc. just for that very reason. We could just throw in the feed and hay and be loaded and ready to leave on a minute's notice and we surely did just that. Just throw some change of clothes for ourselves in the truck and head out and just go.

I always had contacts in two directions that I could head for inland and to the north if needbe. All it would take is one call and we would have stall space ready to house us. The same favor was given at my place. This is how you do it. Especially if you show, you meet people and become friends. You don't wait to figure out where you are going to go until it's way too late.

There was no internet or cells phones back then, so it's much easier now to make a plan and put it in place.

This is another reason why I opted for my big trailer. I can shove all my minis into it if I had to I could squish them all in including Sonny. That's why I didn't get a mini trailer. You just never know. Right now, it's cleaned out and loaded with emergency supplies, tires in good shape and ready to roll. I keep it like that. Force of habit I guess. But after being involved with the horse rescue in Homestead Florida you remember these things vividly in your mind.

Being prepared is not to be taken lightly or to assume that the worst can never happen to you.

I am fortunate to live in an area where disasters are few and far between. The worst is flooding, tornados and ice storms. Being alone here 5-6 days a week and with the minis (now only 3 1/2) and 2 dogs I am very prepared.

WE have a storm room in the cellar, I "could" bring the minis inside". I have 200 large bottles of water. Canned foods and frozen bread, crackers and such. There is always 150# of horse feed put aside in water tight tubs. Hay is available. We keep huge tubs of the road salt in 2 places for ice storms. Sand bags are always in a pile at the ready.

For this last storm we got 4" of rain which muddied the well. I had filled 4 troughs the nite before so the horses would have fresh water in case. I don't have a trailer, but am willling to bet if I absolutely had to get out I'd go with my kids if we had to form a long line roped together and walk out. I pray this never happens to me.

We have been flooded and iced and it was awful. Something like Katrina is unimaginable. It hurts my mind. I pray that each of us never experiences this tragedy and stays safe. I pray for all of those hurt and broken hearted by this and ask God to watch over us all. If nothing more Katrina has united us and made us aware of our vulnerabilites so perhaps we can be prepared better for ourselves and others the next time.

I CERTAINLY will add my farm to the list of ones available for retreat. The layout I have allows me to offer several pastures with run in barns, that could handle from 5-25 minis within each. Of course, hay would be needed for such containment but, that isn't an issue. I have neighbors with facilities that could be used and would be willing to have them used! When I fenced my property I used tall fenceing to allow for use by full-sized animals. A good hotwire system is in place to deter challenging of the fences. I am equipped with underground, freeze free water to entire farm and electric to majority of property.....electric water tubs
laugh.gif
Huge hay trailer/feed storage and empty stalls (minis) available.

Plus, with crating, cats & dogs can be house there....or barn/stalled.

Plus, I have an entire upstairs of my house that could provide 3 rooms and bath for humans. My farm is on a hill and I'm not subject to excess ponding/flooding even in heavy rains (I'm actually the high point of terrain within about a 5 mile radius). My well is deep and has a commercial sized pump....I have a generator in case of no power, to continue watering and a portable hot water unit for showering people.
aktion033.gif

Being 50 miles inland from coastal Va Beach, VA, we ARE subject to hurricanes and yes, we do have damage if the storm is massive. Otherwise we are pretty much ok and more concerned with wind than anything else. BUT, I'm close to NC who also has tremendous hurricane issues......so, those people may need me and I'm close enough to help. I have horse trailers for several minis, can go and help pick up, plus a friend has more trailering available for use -- big horse can be handled in these.

Having been a major property owner (home & apartments) in Homestead during Andrew's hit, I know first hand what it is to lose things in such a situation and the need to help others. For us, my attention to insurance was a huge salvation and since it was not our prime residence, we still had a place to be. BUT six months in a motor home in the middle of the rubble was not fun.....we had resources and family and relief.....many did NOT. Andrew was as destructive as Katrina but did not have the added issues of the flooding. THAT is the crucial and hampering issue with this aftermath because it doesn't go away like the wind!!

I have a plan and I have enough stability at my location & farm to offer help which is gladly offered. I'd love to see a forum list formed.

Last edited by a moderator:
After going thru 3 last year,, a Cat 2, 3 and the worst a 4, I know exactly how people feel. Its sometimes hard to decide what to do,, where to go.

I will NEVER stay here for a top end 4 or 5. I can go to friends in NC.

And we are moving there and we will have 17 acres,, by next hurricane season it should be all fenced and a barn built and we will gladly except minis who need to escape the storm!!

Angie,

Angelridge Minis,, soon to be in Shelby NC!!!
yes.gif

I would certainly pray as it is all in His hands.

Latest posts

Back