Kate's foal watch..Its a Colt! pics!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonny

past member - Someone just shoot me!
Reaction score
Hi Yall. Sorry Ive been gone for a while. Busy busy summer. Firstly I wanted to say a big thanks to everyone for being so supportive when we were watching Katie this past summer.

Now its about Kates time!

Right now I am not so sure when Kate is due. She bred in January lcd: 1-26-12 ( again, got preggers in Jan last year) but came back into heat and bred Feb lcd is Feb 21-12. She didnt return into heat, so Ive been counting days from then. That would make her roughly 270 days. Well this past few weeks Kates had a lot of edema on her lower belly, she did with her last pregnancy also, that was her first pregnancy. Well this morning I got up and her udder was starting to fill. YIKES! so I started checking dates and recounting. IF she took in Feb, she still has quite a while yet to go, BUT if she took in Jan, dont know why she would have bred in Feb, she would be 196 days.

Heres where it gets interesting. With her first foal she foaled at day 313. her udder started to develop just 3 weeks before she foaled. So IF she did take in Jan of this yr and is 196, she right on target to foal again in 3 weeks.

So I know most mares will start about 4-8 weeks before foaling, which in case this would be ok, I am just not sure if she is going to go early again, and foal in 3 weeks or wait for 6-8.

So Ive got her on camera where she can free roam in and out of her stall until she really gets my attention.

I guess my question is, has anyone had a mare take , then come back in the next month?

So here are pics of Kate side view from today:

http://i423.photobuc...121115_0000.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome back Holly - it is Holly or have I made a mistake?

I love your Welshies - such great looking examples of this special breed of pony.
default_yes.gif

Kate is looking fantastic, and yes, it is possible for a mare to be pregnant and then to appear to be in season, and even get covered again. It doesn't happen that often but it is certainly possible.

I would say from looking at her picture and from her previous foaling, you will be seeing a new little baby mid to late December - maybe a Christmas baby????

Very exciting!!
default_yes.gif

Hi Anna! Thanks so much for the compliments on my ponies
default_smile.png
I just love them!

Kates udder is staying so heres waiting!

And yes its Holly, Bonny was the name of my first mini/shetland mare. I have since passed her on to a lovely little girl and her sisters who are using her as a riding pony. She is only 10 minutes from me so I get to see her often.

I havent shared lately about Dream my Arabian mare who cut her face so badly so I am going to post one her update. She is doing excellent, barely a scar left.

We have started her and Ive been riding her independently. She is superb!! And def in foal to my Welsh stallion...due in April. I have current pics of her on my FaceBook... Holly Hickman... look me up and add as friend, I will be adding a FB page for my ponies soon...it will be called Corserbury Welsh.

Oh I'm so pleased to hear about Dream - that was such a nasty wound to her face. It sounds as though you have made great progress with her too - and I just cant wait to see what she throws from your Welsh boy, bet it will be gorgeous (inspite of starting as a 'little accident' LOL!!).

I dont do FB, so any chance of a Dream pic posted here? Please!
default_yes.gif

I will get some new pics tomorrow for yall. Kates udder is gone today on one side but the other was fuller today lol,,, going to be one of those foal waches :p

YAY Holly is back!! :D so excited to see Kate's foal
default_smile.png
I'll be watching when the camera is up and running
default_smile.png

how many foals do you have due for this coming season?

Cam is up 24/7 already But stall is open to paddock so Kates free to come and go,. her hay is in the stall , water out across paddock. Keeps her moving lol.

I only have 2 due this year, both are bred to my Sec A stallion, Kates first, then Dream in April. Sadly our Sec B lost her foal a month ago to a twisted cord. So she will be bred back come spring.

Ok Kates doing the sweaty thing at night time only, & not because its warm, its been 50 at night or less. She did this last time too...Do yalls ponys sweat in the weeks before foaling? I wonder if its just hormone changes?

Welcome back!

I swear mine run a bit hotter near the end but I'm not sure the science backs me up to say it's enough of a difference for us to notice.

I have also found that a couple of mine will seem to be a bit warmer during the run up to foaling - always thought it was probably all the hormones rushing around "getting ready"!!

Sorry about your Section B mare.

Ok so this really isnt the best pic of Dream...( Davenport Arabian) she is so difficult to get pictures of because she follows me around and wont stand still and pose...bad Dream! lol!

http://s423.beta.photobucket.com/user/ShyBon/media/11-8-121.jpg.html?sort=6&o=3

And Alice( zia Alice Bluegown) Sec B welsh pony, the one who lost her foal to a twisted cord.

http://s423.beta.photobucket.com/user/ShyBon/media/8-8-12176.jpg.html?sort=6&o=10

And my Brand new Arabian mare Satiah, Eqyptian Arabian, lovely ride.... hope to be in foal come spring to my sec A welsh stallion riot.

http://s423.beta.photobucket.com/user/ShyBon/media/112412004-1.jpg.html?sort=6&o=0

I hope those links work I am really struggling with the new photobucket links...Why do they have to change it???!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I re posted the links see if that works for yall....

Working now!! Thanks - Dream is looking great (maybe a little pregnant tummy growing?) and I like the look of your new mare.
default_yes.gif

All very nice, but I really like the Welsh and the new mare. I love Arabians.

Thanks very much! yes Dream is getting a bump, so cute.

Kates udder was up a bit today, no back on it yet but very full in front. everything else looks tight...I would love to see her hang till after the new year!

She is about 15 yrs old, sadly her papers are lost and I can not track them down.

Latest posts

Back