Kacie's Vicky Is Changing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Foal shed is always the darkest. Baby foal fuzz sun bleaches very quickly and very easily, so when they shed that and start getting normal hair, it's dark, looking the darkest they ever will, usually. She'll probably change shades a few times before settling on adult shade.

Foal shed is always the darkest. Baby foal fuzz sun bleaches very quickly and very easily, so when they shed that and start getting normal hair, it's dark, looking the darkest they ever will, usually. She'll probably change shades a few times before settling on adult shade.

Your correct, they do darken. I have had around 20 foal but none had this big of a change in the face. The only one that didn't have a change was Thunder. He is a cremello. He has no pigment in his hair.
1652723087389.png

The only one I have with even kind of a dark phase of shedding is my grulla, none of the others were quite so different between face coloring and body coloring.

Attachments

• Monte - July 14, 2012.jpg
    Monte - July 14, 2012.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 3
The only one I have with even kind of a dark phase of shedding is my grulla, none of the others were quite so different between face coloring and body coloring.
Nice. I like unusual coloring.
What do you call the color? Would it be buckskin? Do you have an adult picture posted here?

Nice. I like unusual coloring.
What do you call the color? Would it be buckskin? Do you have an adult picture posted here?
He's a black dun, also called grulla. The name grulla comes from the color they look as an adult, a slate grey color, like a crane, which are called Grulla in Spanish.
Not the best picture of him, but it shows his dun markings (dorsal, face mask and ear bars) pretty good. He has appy characteristics, so has change color more since; the Lp gene (appy gene) has shifted his color and now his mane and tail are almost completely flaxen.

Attachments

• Monte - July 17, 2014.jpg
    Monte - July 17, 2014.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 5
He's a black dun, also called grulla. The name grulla comes from the color they look as an adult, a slate grey color, like a crane, which are called Grulla in Spanish.
Not the best picture of him, but it shows his dun markings (dorsal, face mask and ear bars) pretty good. He has appy characteristics, so has change color more since; the Lp gene (appy gene) has shifted his color and now his mane and tail are almost completely flaxen.
He is gorgeous

I love it! The shape of his face is what I like in a mini. I have never mastered the color names enough to know what to call the color of my horses it they do not match the color chart. 🤔 😀

Latest posts

Back