Kacie's Pregnancy Watch Has Started

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dickel

Reaction score
I took pregnant Miniatyre horse Kacie out of the lot with Cloud last evening. It was late in the evening by the time I was able to move the low hanging harness out of the pen area, She walked into the pen as if she was home, which did surprise me with the other horses that were excited as she came in. She started to munch on hay as soon as I removed the lead rope. She will be calm and get settled without problems. I will start getting her ready for the new tiny baby horse tomorrow. Suscribe, like and click on the bell so you can stay tuned for the exciting event.

Kacie has not shed much of her winter hair even though her hair is not shaggy. I brushed her down this afternoon and removed a lot of hair. I also wiped her udder off with a dry rag, combed some of the snarls out of her main. I trimmed a bridle path and she pressed her forehead tight against my leg while I was doing that. I take it she was enjoying the attention. Her udder and teats are still pliable with zero thickening. Just slight activity of the foal while I was brushing her. It turned quite cool so I didn't take water out to wash her udder. The baby watch is on and we are excited.

A short baby watch video. Just checked Kacie's udder. Her udder was a little thicker but not filled out any. She is not ready yet. I saw baby movement and by the time I got my phone camera on I didn't see much. See if you can spot the baby move. Subscribe and click on the bell to be notified of new baby watch videos.

Reactions: Taz
Morning baby check showed no change. While watching her after chores were done, I did see a couple of hard punches from inside. They are not regular and never really are enough to catch on video without videoing over a much longer time. I am still guessing she will not foal for over a week. One morning when I was feeding Pearl, I checked her and thought it would be a couple days. I had not taken over 10 steps until she went down and rolled. When she jumped back up her foal fell out. So what do I know!

At the noon check Kacie was just standing still. Watching her It looked like her foal was running and jumping hurdles. It only lasted about 10 seconds or so. Not enough time to get my phone out. I need to fix a place to put a camera up high enough to video while I check her. Next week several days the day time highs are below freezing or only slightly above. I hope she foals soon or does wait until after the upcoming cold snap.

No real change. Kacie is now expecting the visits. I just told her to stand still so I could check her. Normally I hold on to her halter and reach back. Tonight I was able to lay my hand on her back and reach down which I can do without my hip on the gate or wall. I was also able to brush her without holding her from moving. All for easier handling her after the foal is born. She was never hard to handle though. I did have to tie or hold her to brush or check her udder where she then stood still.

Early morning baby check 3/25 22 found the rear most part of both sides of her udder was slightly thicker. Kacie was standing in the middle of her pen and when I entered, she didn't move so I didn't ask her to stand still. I took the brush and brushed her then checked her. She didn't move until I was out of the pen and picked up an arm full hay. She then put her head up and nickered. Because she didn't move, I praised her for standing still. I never give my horses treats so they never beg for them. I have never had a problem checking the udders of my mares but always had them tied out of habit. I never check my mares more than once a day. I have video subscribers that have shown an interest which is causing to learn more of how the udder develops at foaling gets closer. I have had mares that had no published signs of development the day before foaling. I had one mare that had no udder development until the vet gave her a shot. I bought goat right away and started the foal on a bottle. The shot brought milk within a few hours.

A busy day yesterday with doctor visits over an hour away in the early afternoon. No change in Kacie latte evening. I didn't expect it but when I open the door she is ready to be checked and just stands in one spot every time now. It may be more the brushing than being checked. Misty also wants a hug as usual. Pearl just wants her forehead rubbed. This morning was also without change in her udder. Kacie's foal shows some activity every time I am in the barn for any length of time. I would rather we were not looking at over a week of winter type weather with Kacie close. My early guess was at the end of March or the first of April. Right now I would rather it be the second week of April after this upcoming cold snap.

I'm sure you've said but I don't have the energy to go back and look. What was her breed date? I hope she holds off for you till it's nicer out.

I'm sure you've said but I don't have the energy to go back and look. What was her breed date? I hope she holds off for you till it's nicer out.
I didn't record an actual date. I wanted to put Kacie in with Cloud before May first. I thought she was in heat so I put her in with him the end of April. Any time I was out the first day she was kicking him away. I never saw her being exposed. After the first of May they were best friends with him not being after her. I am sure she had conceived before the first of May. Pasture breeding is always a toss up as far as actual dates. I always had them foal in June or July and they had the foal in the pasture when ever it happened. I didn't worry about co;ld. I watch every horse eat their sweet feed every day so I am sure they are not off feed.

3/28/ 2022 baby watch update! No change as of this morning. I rigged my camera tri pod with a telescope selfi stick two days ago to video a udder check. I made a new youtube channel using the S&L Rockin Mini Horse we use on our horse registrations adding the word Ranch. That would be, S & L ROCKIN MINI HORSE RANCH The betterlem68 was made years ago when I was tractor pulling and Shirley was doing family picture video's. With our slow internet the videos have been timing out before uploaded. I think I solved that problem this morning and it should be up this afternoon. I plan uploading my videos to both channels for a while.

Latest posts

Back