Just wondering what is your least favorite colour?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have to agree that "a good horse is never a bad color". I honestly love all colors and would gladly have one of each. Funny, though, my husband's not so sure about that.
default_laugh.png

I don't breed, never will, so am quite ignorant about all the color terminology. What is a "double dilute"? What's a "Medicine Hat"? And what is the reason people get DNA tests on their minis?

miniaddiction, I LOVE greys. My first horse, Ghost, is a grey (white when I bought him as a 12 year old, 18 years ago) and I think greys will always hold a special place in my heart. Dancer is beautiful! And so is Katie.

(I would love to have a leopard applaloosa--black & white--but they sure are expensive!!! If anyone needs to find a home for one there's room in my barn.
default_wink.png
)

What is a "double dilute"?
I have three double dilute girls. They are not my most favorite color to look at (but I do find them pretty), but I love that they will always produce cream dilute offspring (buckskins, palominos, smoky blacks, and other double dilutes). They have two copies of the cream gene (where palominos and buckskins, for example, have just one). Double dilutes have creamy-white coats, pink skin and blue eyes. Two of mine are pinto and if you looks close, you can see the pinto markings but it's not "easy" to see once they mature some (easy to see when they are foals).

For reference, here's one of my perlino (double dilute) mares. I love the way the ones I have are built, and Buckeroo bred as are two of my boys. I'm excited to see all the buckskin Buckeroo babies they will have in years to come and have already gotten my first
default_wub.png

[SIZE=12pt]Erica's Double Dipped[/SIZE]

2004 32” AMHA / AMHR Perlino Pinto Mare – BTU Granddaughter

Hopefully in foal for 2009 to Erica's Echos of My Destiny (Halter HOF / National Champion -- Grandson of both Double Destiny and Buck Echo)

With her current year filly, a little granddaughter of Buckeroo:

Double%20and%20Cover%20Girl%20DSC06909.jpg

and as a foal:

ddnew2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite colors are palominos and buckskins. When we shop or breed for a horse conformation is first then color. Would rather be known as a breeder of correct conformation than color.

Last edited by a moderator:
Conformation and temperment aside; I hate greys or horses with alot of white!
default_wink.png
default_wink.png

But that is purely from a practical point of view ... having had a lovely steel dappled grey Arabian and a TB with four tall white socks ... they are a PITA to clean!!

I loove a black & white pinto though. Pretty, pretty, pretty
default_smile.png

I already replied, but while building fence last night my family and I got to talking about this very topic and mom joked that obviously we don't have a problem with any color or pattern since no two of our horses are the same lol

We've got a buckskin pinto, a silver buckskin solid, a buckskin solid, a dark black/bay solid, a red bay solid, a bay pinto, a black pintaloosa, a solid black pintaloosa, a silver dapple pintaloosa, a black near leopard overo-loosa with bald face and blue eyes, a black pinto with blue eyes, a bay snowcap, a black roan snowcap, a black few-cap, a grulla/black snowcap that's almost completley white and finally a chestnut pinto!
default_biggrin.png
And I'm looking at a couple mares, one is a new color for us, and the other is a black but a new pattern!
default_wink.png

First and foremost for me is personality of the horse. Then I look at their build and conformation. After that comes color. I have solid black mares and a Liver Chestnut Pinto Stallion with the Sabino Gene. We have had several different colored foals. The last two have been major white and darker Silver Dapple. But I have had tri colors and solid in the beginning. I have now stopped breeding and just enjoy the horses we have here. If I really had to choose a color that I really love I must say solid Black and I do love the color of my stallion.

Anyone sporting PINK skin can't look at them..

My least favorite is perlino Im just not a fan of pink skin...

My favorite would have to be black and red dun and I really love a well colored silver bay like the one in my avatar.

I hate that everyone dislikes grey so much..I LOVE EM!!! Which is a good thing considering I have two and one that looks grey but is really black sabino.

Here is my beautiful Dancer who is almost white as a yearling

317175334.jpg

And here is Katie who still has black points at 5 years old

286619753.jpg

IMO grey is a beautiful colour BUT in saying that I can understand how people breeding for specific patterns dont like grey.

Cool thread Mary
default_aktion033.gif
Your horses are beautiful and support my thought that a truly nice horse is gorgeous in any color!! I think greys are beautiful but I wouldn't buy one because I breed for pinto and the greying gene just washes out their patterns. I prefer the bolder colors that show off the pinto pattern: bay and black are my fav's. I really don't care for dilutes much, and except for leopard appy's I'm not much of an appy fan. Thank God that everyone has such diverse likes and dislikes!!
default_yes.gif

I don't like the double dilutes, the dull brown-bays, or most of the loud overos with the white heads. I've got a tobiano/splash filly with a mostly white head & I don't mind her appearance, but it all depends on the markings overall. I see many horses that make me go ugh, that would be a nice horse if not for all that white on the face, while everyone else is saying oh, I love that white marking! As far as pinto coloring overall, again, it's all about how the horse is marked. I don't like the pinto coloring if the shape/placement of the markings creates an optical illusion that "ruins" the horse's conformation--and there are many that have that problem.

Latest posts

Back