Just wanted to say...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeCFarm

Reaction score
Some of us (I know I can't be the only one suffering!) are on slow dial up, so please keep that in mind when you post pictures. There are several threads that I've tried to view, but after sitting there for awhile waiting for the pics to load, I move on as I have limited time to get on the computer. My suggestion is, if you want your threads to be viewed by as many people as possible, to reduce the size of your pictures before posting, especially if you are posting several pictures. I just don't want anyone to think I'm being selective about who I respond to, although I guess you can say I am, LOL. If it takes forever to load, I have to move on, or I won't get to read many threads.

I wanna see your pics too! Pretty please?
default_saludando.gif

I AGREE 100%!!! There are sooooooo many that I leave because the file size it horrendous and I don;t have the patience to wait!! Thank you for bringing this up!
default_yes.gif
I hope from now on, people will take it into consideration before posting their pics here!

thank you for saying what I have been feeling
default_aktion033.gif
I also am on dial up at home and can not get the pictures to come up very easy, and at work everything from photobucket is blocked ( I work at a school).

Hehe, I've got the opposite problem! It drives me insane when someone posts a great driving photo and it's so tiny I can't see any of the details. Then again I've been spoiled by high-speed for years so I've undoubtedly repressed the memory of how awful dialup was.
default_whistling.gif
You have my sympathy and I'll forgive you in advance for skipping my photo posts. *LOL*

Leia

I, too, forget all about dial up issues. I'm sorry you have to deal with that. The reason I post the size I do is because I often regret taking a photo in a smaller size in case I need it enlarged or it's to be published, so I take them at 1200x1600 to start--and since it takes too much time/computer space to save a smaller verison along with the big ones, I just stick to the big ones.

Sorry.
default_unsure.png

Stephanie--I wanted to ask if websites are also slow? If not--I have the pictures from my recent post on my website--the Quail Summit visit page.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got high speed at home and in my office, but even so, I like the pics to be small enough to see all at once (like one picture that you don't have to scroll up or down or sideways to see it in parts). I also like it when people have links where you can click if you want to see more than the couple pictures shared of the horse or happening.

What I do to avoid storing umpteen size version of the same photo is I have a directory for each horse, with subdirectories sorted by date or event. When I go through a batch of photos, I delete the ones I know I'll never use then the ones I want to share, I copy into a separate "upload" file and crop them / shrink them. I upload the smaller cropped versions of the pictures to my webspace (into the horse's directory) and then I erase the smaller/cropped pictures from my computer hard drive. It is pretty fast/easy. I wish I could keep my office or my house as organized as I keep digital pictures
default_biggrin.png

It's a good reminder though because it doesn't take long to be spoiled with high speed. Hope you all can be spoiled one day in this regard!!!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got high speed at home and in my office, but even so, I like the pics to be small enough to see all at once (like one picture that you don't have to scroll up or down or sideways to see it in parts). I also like it when people have links where you can click if you want to see more than the couple pictures shared of the horse or happening.
What I do to avoid storing umpteen size version of the same photo is I have a directory for each horse, with subdirectories sorted by date or event. When I go through a batch of photos, I delete the ones I know I'll never use then the ones I want to share, I copy into a separate "upload" file and crop them / shrink them. I upload the smaller cropped versions of the pictures to my webspace (into the horse's directory) and then I erase the smaller/cropped pictures from my computer hard drive. It is pretty fast/easy. I wish I could keep my office or my house as organized as I keep digital pictures
default_biggrin.png

It's a good reminder though because it doesn't take long to be spoiled with high speed. Hope you all can be spoiled one day in this regard!!!
default_smile.png
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Great idea Jill! Wish I had your skills
default_wink.png

Oh thankyou for this post, i have dial to and I try to look at everyones stuff. Some times I wait for it to load and dont get time to leave a comment
default_sad.png
I tend to only post on the same people but its nothing person just my internet
default_rolleyes.gif
. Ill try to keep it down to I just learned how to resize it better. Thanks everyone!!!!

Stephanie, glad you brought this up! I'm on high speed here, so no problems, but I do know (although I forget!) that many 'horse' people are still on dial up.

So, what size is the best size for posting????? I crop and reduce pictures and judge by kilobytes as to how small to make them. Cammie tells me that kb has nothing to do with it!
default_wacko.png

Another thing that I would think would be a problem for dial up users is when people copy photos that have already been put in that thread. Instead of just commenting on them they copy and paste them or put the whole post in quotes or.....I don't know what they do, but it seems to me to be redundant. If we want to see them twice we can go back to the original and look again. Don't mean to sound grumpy but when it's several pictures it just irritates me. Ok...back to my cave now.

Oh I am very guilty of posting Large pictures
default_rolleyes.gif
I like it when other people post large pictures because you can't see the detail in the smaller ones. But I never thought about dial up. I will try to keep that in mind next time I post pics
default_wink.png

Another thing that I would think would be a problem for dial up users is when people copy photos that have already been put in that thread. Instead of just commenting on them they copy and paste them or put the whole post in quotes or.....I don't know what they do, but it seems to me to be redundant. If we want to see them twice we can go back to the original and look again. Don't mean to sound grumpy but when it's several pictures it just irritates me. Ok...back to my cave now.

Excellent point!! It just makes the threads take even longer to load. I realize not everyone knows how to simply remove the picture from the text they've quoted, although that is what I do.

Becky, I never have a problem with your photos, so whatever size you're using works fine for me!

Leia, I probably did that with my driving photos, huh? LOL The frustrating thing is, when I lived in town, I had cable, so I was zipping right along with many of you on here. MAN it was hard when I moved out here and had to go back to dial up...
default_rolleyes.gif

One tip is, if you want to leave the pic "big" enough to show details such as a horse's markings, driving pics, etc, crop the photo instead of leaving all of the unnecessary background. So many times people post a full size photo, but the horse or whatever they are showing is such a tiny part of the photo, but it takes so long for the rest of it to load that I have to move on.

Karla, where do you host your photos for posting on the Forum? Couldn't you resize your pics on your computer, then upload them to your host, then delete the smaller version off your computer? Just a thought... I don't know what you are using to resize your photos, but it takes no more than a couple of minutes with the program that I have. I open the photo, click the adjust size button, and tell it what size I want it. Then I hit save. I'll go check out your website, but yes, certain websites load very slowly as well.

Stephanie--I did resize on photobucket just now!! I was posting photos of my sign and remembered your request... and changed one. Of course I was hurrying and forgot to shrink the 2nd--but I'll try, I promise!!
default_biggrin.png
Thanks for letting us know...

Is 600x800 fine?

With the new features on the forum, I wonder if there's some kind of thumbnail wizard or button? That would be really cool and helpful to those on dial up.

Latest posts

Back