Just want a critique

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with those who think her hip is just fine. I don't see it as a problem. I also can't really tell about the toeing out/cowhocked because it's not a good picture to judge that from.

A pose with her head up would help us a lot.

I agree as a halter horse she may need more exercise (not a food diet, just exercise her more) but I think you will do just fine in the show ring with her!

Have fun!

Andrea

Matt73 said:
How can a few people say her hip is weak, and others see it as just fine? Her hip is very nice
default_yes.gif
She may be slightly cow-hocked ("toeing out in the back"), but it may just be the way she's standing.
I think some people are interpreting the way she's standing (her posture) as being her conformation when I don't believe that's the case. Her tail appears wet, as does her lower body, and that plus the look in her eyes led me to believe she'd probably just had a bath and was a little chilly. When horses are cold they tuck their rumps and that can lead them to rotating the stifles out and hocks in as they try to warm up. I've seen it in my own horses plenty of times!

I don't have a problem with her head being down so low as far as judging conformation because I can still see how her neck is set on and I like the way her withers tie in for performance purposes. I think she's a very nice little mare and a stunning color! She's not the incredibly refined type that is winning consistent supremes these days, but more than nice enough to bring home some blues and maybe better with a little conditioning. Sometimes I'm very surprised at what wins! Maybe she's a champion too.
default_wub.png

Leia

I am with Jill and the other's who really like that hip! She has a very balanced overall look to me- but I am also a fan of the RHA horses in general.

With some conditioning I am sure she'd do just fine! (And I'd love that hip on a 30 some odd inch version to breed to my stud who looks like a gangly string bean unless in training!)

Personally I would like to see a bit more length of hip, as well as a bit extra length to the shoulder—possibly more angle to the shoulder too, but that’s hard to judge for sure in this photo. It’s possible that her head down stance is causing her shoulder to straighten as she leans forward and down. And no, I don’t just mean “flatter croup” when I say more length of hip—this mare is fairly short in the hip. If you divide her body into thirds, her barrel is longer than either her shoulder or hip—each third should be equal. You will definitely want to have her head up more for halter showing—get her neck up, and then have her drop just her head a little bit, so that she shows off the shape of her neck. She has a nice neck—not overly long but it seems to be well shaped and isn’t heavy; it’s length is quite in balance with her body.

Latest posts

Back