Just sickened and in shock

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LizardBreath

Reaction score
I know I don't post here often, but I just can't believe this, and I can't just let this women get away with it.

If anyone here could please look up this mare or find contact info for her current owners, I would REALLY REALLY appreciate it.

Lil Orchard's NFC Tierra Sunset

AMHR 236590T

Here's the story :

In November, I sold this mare. I really wasn't TRYING to sell any horses, but had a couple ads up to see what would come of it. My horses were being kept on my aunt's property, and we had such a bad hay shortage the year before, I thought I would be willing to let one of two go before winter hit, IF it would provide them with a more comfortable and stable environment.

I am NOT in the business of buying and selling horses. I don't plan for foals unless I expect to be able to keep the baby. These guys are like my kids. But sometimes life throws you a curveball, and you end up letting someone go to a new home.

So I talk to this women over emails, and the phone. I tell her how I don't really want to sell this mare, but would be willing to let her go to the right home. She procides to tell me how she is an experienced mini breeder (a plus, as this mare is in foal), How she always had wanted a mare this color and height, and that she was perfect, exactly what she had been looking for, and if she got her, there was no way she would be going anywhere, a forever home. She told me about her horses and family. Everything sounded great! They even lived close by, and said I would be able to visit her anytime.

She offered me quite a bit less for the mare then I was asking, but since this seemed like such a great place for her, I went ahead and took her offer. I had her sign a contact stating that the mare would not be sold for one year, and if ever for any reason she was unable to keep the horse, or decided to sell it, she was to contact me and offer her to me first.

As soon as she had the papers back in her name, I get an email saying she has decided to focus on breeding smaller minis. I could have my mare back for almost twice what she had paid, because she had an ultrasound done, and was selling the mare as bred (I hadn't had her confirmed in foal (though was sure she was, and informed the women of this), so sold her as 'open'). If I didn't want to pay what she asked, she was selling the mare. I couldn't believe it!!!

I didn't exactly have $100's of extra cash lying around, and told her so. I also reminded her that she had signed a contract saying she would not sell the mare for one year. I offered to refund her money + the cost of the ultrasound, and come pick up the mare.

She told me she would keep the mare until she foaled, and offer her back to me, but that the price would be much higher then (she would add board for each extra month she was there onto the price)

I didn't hear from her again after that.

The time between the sale and the first email offering the mare back, was about 3 weeks.

Skip ahead to now, I'm browsing the internet, and I see a sold ad for my mare!! This women went ahead and sold her, and for nearly 4 times what she paid. I was appalled.

Is this some sort of scam or what? I don't know what to do now to get her back. Thinking of contacting a lawyer. I'll tell you, I don't think I'll ever trust anyone enough to sell a horse to again. Thats two sales gone bad for me
default_no.gif

I'd like to find whoever bought her and contact them.

well according to your contract, she DID "offer the mare to you first" so she upheld her end of the deal. Unfortunately in the horse world, anything can happen no matter how thorough of a contract you think you might have.

If you don't want to sell a horse, then don't. Once you do, it's out of your hands.

Sorry things didn't go as planned, maybe the horse has a better home now.

Andrea

Some people just aren't worth the oxygen they take up.

I've met a lot of these in the horse world. It sucks ! Hopefully the mare is in a good home. I doubt the records are updated yet, but I would call AMHR and have them check. Don't see any reason why they wouldn't share that info with you.

At least you could contact the new owner and feel better about were she is.

Price wise, some people are salesmen, some aren't.

The person you sold to was a good one, unfortunately just not a good person.

It will come back to bite her on the butt someday.

Sorry it happened to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amy I really feel for you.

I really hate it when people pass horses around left and right like yestardays news. It's just so not fair to the horse having to go through so many homes in their lives. It really makes me cringe when I see horses running in and out of farms like a revolving door. I know forever homes are not abundant, nor are they feasible in most cases, but as Disney said, once a horse is for sale, it's out of your hands.

I think the registry will tell you who the new owner is and then you have a shot at speaking to her. With any luck, she may have found a terrific permanent home. Good luck Kid. Again, I'm sorry this happened to you.

The woman pulled a fast one for sure. She did offer the mare back to you so she stuck to that part of the contract; unfortunately your contract didn't specify what price she must offer the horse back to you at--or at least I'm assuming it didn't. She did break the contract in that she wasn't supposed to sell the horse for one year, and you may be able to go after her for that. I think such contracts are very hard to enforce, so I'm not sure if a lawsuit will gain you anything.

Sadly there are many people like this out there. The faster they plan to flip a horse the better the story they will string you about what a good home they offer. I have friends that have had something similar happen to them. I take those stories with a grain of salt any more, and it's because of people like your buyer that I stand firm on price on the few horses I offer for sale. Maybe someone can buy the horse at my price and still turn around & make a profit on resale, but at least I'll have gotten the price I wanted. Nothing hurts more than giving a real good deal & then finding that you got suckered.

Hopefully your mare is now with a better owner!

default_no.gif
I feel so bad for you. I recently went thru a similar situation and it stinks. The registry's are pretty nice and you shouldn't have any trouble contacting the new owners once they transfer her. I hope you will have a good relationship with them when you do.

Hugs!!!

Unfortunately, some people see a nice animal, buy it for as cheap as they can and sell it for a profit. In the meantime they feed you a line. While I applaud your efforts to see to it that you thought you had an ideal home lined up for her, and you discounted her price accordingly, the bottom line is all that matters to some people.

It is unfortunate, but I don't think there is a huge deal you can do. You were offered the mare first. As much as it stings, you need to chalk it up to experience and a lesson learned, Regardless of the other persons intentions and moral soundness., or lack their of.

I'm sorry to hear about this! I would try and find out her new home and ask them about her. She might be in a better home.

I know a person like this. Tells a story (but makes payments), gets the horse and its traded off within a month and before the horse is even paid off. Its taken a few years, but she's burned her bridges with most of the members here and nearby. So no one will sell her a horse locally anymore. Sad, but I always hope those horses find better homes than hers.
default_no.gif

I'm sorry to hear about this! I would try and find out her new home and ask them about her. She might be in a better home.

I know a person like this. Tells a story (but makes payments), gets the horse and its traded off within a month and before the horse is even paid off. Its taken a few years, but she's burned her bridges with most of the members here and nearby. So no one will sell her a horse locally anymore. Sad, but I always hope those horses find better homes than hers.
default_no.gif
[SIZE=12pt]I sell a lot of horses on payments and I do keep the papers until they are paid for in full. I would NOT take kindly to someone offering MY horse for sale and if it happened, they would have NO doubt about how I felt!
default_wink.png
. Once it's paid for, it's their business...[/SIZE]

I'm not against making a profit on a horse I decide not to keep, but lying to get a horse cheaply and then pulling ALL of those fast ones, that's just wrong
default_no.gif

default_no.gif
[SIZE=12pt]I sell a lot of horses on payments and I do keep the papers until they are paid for in full. I would NOT take kindly to someone offering MY horse for sale and if it happened, they would have NO doubt about how I felt!
default_wink.png
. Once it's paid for, it's their business...[/SIZE]

I'm not against making a profit on a horse I decide not to keep, but lying to get a horse cheaply and then pulling ALL of those fast ones, that's just wrong
default_no.gif

I agree, Laura.

Sorry things did not go as you planned. We have sold horses numerous times throughout the years, and thought they were going to people that would provide permanent homes, but for what ever reasons they could not/did not want to keep them.

When i sold a horse i always tried to sell them to homes where they would fit in. But i also knew that when they were sold, they no longer belonged to me. I accepted that. If you could not provide a permanant home, why would you expect someone else to do it?

It seems like people only only complain about someone selling the horse they sold them, when the person selling the animal, is selling it for a profitt. Sometimes i think what they are truley angry about , is that the seller is getting more(or they think is getting more) than what they originally got. I see that alot.

Well I would be sickened and in shock too.
default_sad.png
To be so brazenly LIED to, that's just wrong!
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back