JUST RETURNED FROM THE FUNERAL SERVICE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tam VanderWerf

Reaction score
Hi Everyone~

I just returned from the funeral for Michael Garrison, Marty's son, and I wanted to give everyone an update.

There was a very large turnout, which looked like it was made up primarily of Michael's friends. There were many beautiful flower arrangements and plants that had been sent. I did not get to meet Marty or her family until after the service was over during an informal receiving line outside.

Marty, Jerry and Dan, flanked by other family members came into the Chapel just before the service started. At the beginning, a woman (not sure of her name or relationship to the family) read a truly beautiful memorial written by Marty. It must have been 6 or 7 pages long and told about Michael's personality and his life. It told about his relationship with his parents and with his little brother Dan. There were times when we laughed and times when there was not a dry eye in the place. Marty has a gift for writing and her words went together so well that it made you feel like you knew Michael even if you had never met him. It mentioned the speeding and Meth problem on the mountain and Michael's adopting and caring for dogs and cats which had been discarded on the mountain by irresponsible owners. It mentioned their involvement with American Miniature Horses and that there was a prayer vigil going on simultaneously with Michael's funeral. On an even sadder note, it told how the little kitten that Michael was caring for died this morning and went to be with him (I really lost it there....).

The pastor spoke very highly of Michael and knew that Michael had given his life to Christ. He assured us that Michael was safe in Heaven, which is a more beautiful place than one could ever imagine.

After the serivce, I introduced myself to Marty and gave her a big hug. I signed the Guest Book "Little Beginnings Forum Family - We love you". Marty seemed to be holding up pretty well although she was sedated. I got to meet Tiffanie and Greg, who will be with Marty, Jerry and Dan a couple more days. Tiffanie said the Forum Family is an awesome bunch and it was wonderful how everyone has rallied around Marty and the family in this terrible time. I was not able to attend the graveside service because I needed to return home to pick up DJ from baseball practice.

Please stay in touch with Marty, as her days to come will be very difficult for her and her family. Also - let everyone you care about know how much they mean to you and that you love them because we are not guaranteed another tomorrow.....

Peace to all.

Tam

Tam,

Thank you for being there..... Thank you for sharing.........

MA

Thank you for the update. This tragedy affected us all and If my tears are running now I can only imagine his family and friends. Prayers won't stop today!

Tam I would like to publically thank both you and Lara P for doing what you have done. I appreciate it more then you know. I hated to put the pressure on you to go and be there but I was so helpless as I just couldnt get away. I know many called me telling me how badly Marty needed me(wanted me) there and I talk to her often at least daily(all but one) since this has happened but I just couldnt find anyone to watch the girls and make it work as my father is out of the country until the end of the week. I felt just horrible not being there when she needed and wanted me to but am so grateful you were willing to stand up and go that means more to me then you will know and to Marty as well I am sure!

Last edited:
Tam, Thank you so much for posting this. I am so glad to hear that Marty is with family and friends for the next few days. I plan on calling her next week, when her family has left. Micheal was a very special young man. Corinne

Thanks so much for that update Tam....I am in tears again reading it. It seems I am always thinking of this tragedy, as are many of us here on the forum, and it is so special to me, as I am sure it is to others as well, since we could not attend the funeral, or the visitation, to have those of you that were able to be there, share with us, to help put us "there" with Dan, Marty, Jerry, and the rest of the family and their friends also. Thank you so much.

Thank You so much for the update.

I've been trying to work up the courage to call her ....i'm hoping over the next few days i will be able to.

I feel so bad that im scared to call her, i just cant compare any pain to what she is feeling right now ...all drugged up or not!

I dont think i've gone longer then 20 minutes without thinking about them.

*I hope Marty would post the speach here when she returns.

I'd love to read it.

Leeana H.

Thank you doesn't seem like enough but I thank you also for going in our stead.

Thank you for sharing and being there for Marty and her Family.

Bless you
default_wub.png
:

[SIZE=14pt]Tam thanks for going and representing the forum family. I will call her in a few days. She wont remember much of today and probably tomorrow because of the medications.... the things we send in writing she can go over when she feels more together. WE are all still praying for her and Jerry and little Dan.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Well I am glad you are home, I knew how nervous you were. Bless your heart. Thanks Tam..

Lara

Many Thanks to you for attending today while most of us could only light our candle and say our prayer. Also to Lara who so courageously went yesterday and to Sheryl who Im sure will be there for Marty in the days to come. Now is the time when all of us can make a difference by not letting this slip into oblivion. I have a friend who lost her son 5 years ago who has always said the hardest time was when the formalities were over and then there was nothing when she so much needed to talk. Thank you all for representling us.

Thank you for attending the service and letting us know how Marty and her family are.

I lit my candle and said some prayers this morning at the time of the service.

Thank you also Lara and Sheryl it was so nice of you ladies to attend and represent the rest of us.

Thank you for giving us some details of the funeral. It helps us when we feel so helpless and wish we could be there for the family. There isn't a moment Marty, Jerry and Dan are not on my mind. I wake up with the heartache and go to bed with it as well. Marty, we will not forget.

Tam: Thanks for the update on the funeral. And thanks for attending for all of us that could not. I wanted to call Marty yesterday but could not bring myself to do it. I don't know what to say. I was afraid I would upset her and myself, if that makes any sense. I'll call her in a couple of weeks.

Again, thank you for sharing what took place today.

It was wonderful that you could go Tam, and thank you so much for sharing with those who couldn't.

Tam, thanks for letting us know about how things went. I'm in tears reading about the service.

How heartbreaking about Little Shania.. That is proof, he is was kept her going.. I feel terrible about it.. But at least she has her Michael now. :no:

Latest posts

Back