Just need to know what color MAY be produced

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promise

Reaction score
saludando.gif
I was wondering what the color outcome may be for a sooty buckskin stallion (he had a sooty buckskin father and a bright yellow buckskin mother) and a black mare (had a sorrel mother not yet sure about father). I was looking into purchasing the mare, she has been exposed (all summer)to him and was just trying to figure out what the offspring may be.

thanks,

Promise

Hmmm let's see, I'm not an "expert" but the sooty buckskin carries a creme gene on "bay". (which is black with 'agouti")

The black mare could possibly carry a red gene recessively. So the best i can tell you is that you could get,

buckskin, bay, black, smoky black, or possibly sorrel (if both carry a red gene recessively), black is dominant so black shows and hides red if the horse has one red and one black.

or palomino with the stallion's creme gene and a red gene from both parents?

Someone else may be able to explain it better and they could correct me if I'm wrong.

And WELCOME!

Anne

Looks like Anne covered all the color bases for you. Just like a box of chocolates, you never know what you may get.
wink.gif

Crossing a Sooty Buckskin with a Black mare you will definitely get a foal- no doubt about it!! Welcome to the Forum
saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back