Just had my first lesson with Andy Marcoux

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbrown

Reaction score
And it was awesome! This was my 2nd driving lesson ever- first one was some 5-6 years ago- and now I'm wishing I'd had the $$$ to be taking lessons all along, because I learned SO much. I used Kandy, the HyperBike, and our brand new Camptown harness. Thanks to all the posts I've read about harness fit here, he only had 1 minor adjustment to make (he raised the breeching up a hole). He also helped me adjust my Bike so I'm able to more comfortably get into a proper driving posture. He dropped the stirrups and moved them toward Kandy about 2" on each side, and tilted my seat back further. Feels much better.

I told Andy that I wanted to work on bending, since both Skip and Kandy have a tendency to counterbend often and I'm having a hard time correcting that. After about 5 minutes of watching me warm Kandy he asked to hop in because she was avoiding contact, and he was trying to figure out why. He told me that she is not able to "take" contact (not much anyway), so that is something we'll be working on. He also wanted to switch bits- I had her in a teeny Glory fixed cheek liverpool, but I've also been driving her in Skippy's bean link butterfly, so we switched bridles- and yes, we unhitched to do this! Kandy went along much better with the bean link bit, BUT the bridle also had open cheeks so we aren't sure which made the difference, the bit or the bridle, so I'll be driving her in the bean link with blinders as well to see how she goes.

He spent a few minutes adjusting my posture in what felt like a major change! He told me to lean back, not straight, hold my hands up (closer to chest level), draw my reins toward the upper center of my chest, and hold my reins like I'm going to "high tea" (LOL!) with my fingertips holding the reins. This felt SO WEIRD, but I will say, it certainly seemed to help once we got going! He also told me to stop looking at Kandy, because doing so means I'd always be reacting to what had happened strides ago, and if I look up and ahead, I can feel what she's doing and correct before it becomes a problem. He also wanted me to look WAY ahead in my turns (to help me get my eyes off her, as well as to help her with bending through the turns). Honestly, I had so much trouble turning that he stood in the middle and made me look at him the whole time as we went around!! And it worked- by the end of the lesson, it was much easier for me to stop looking at Kandy. That's definitely a habit I'm going to have to work hard to break.

He had me do something that felt not-very-intuitive for me for bending her through turns. He had me hold a firm, steady contact with the outside rein, ask for a turn with the inside, then bring my rein back to even with the outside rein (so I wasn't pulling it back toward me)- then I "flicked" the rein toward her with my wrist, picked up contact again, flicked, picked up contact, and kept repeating this quickly throughout the turn, all the while looking way toward the inside. I wish I could remember exactly his reasoning behind this- I know he said he wanted Kandy to eventually draw the outside rein as she bends properly, and not lean against the inside reins (hence I should flick it away so she can't lean). I am so uncoordinated that I really had trouble with this, so most of my lesson consisted of him telling me when I was doing it right, and calling directions to me when I wasn't. I am going to really have to concentrate on what I'm doing when I'm practicing between lessons (our next lesson is in 2 weeks)! Kandy was using her body much better, and really tracking up when I was doing things right- it's nice to have instant feedback from her, now I just need to become better at picking up on it!!

Anyway, just wanted to share with you guys since I've picked up so much awesome information from here
default_smile.png

Thanks for sharing! I have similar problems with the bending, mostly to the right. Last week my instructor told me to take the rein out of the terret, yes interesting he'? Then make sure to pull her head outward and hold it to guide her through the turn. My problem if different in that my horse seems to counter bend because she does not trust me to help her keep her balance.

I am in my mid fifties and my shoulders are not so flexible anymore so I tend to give the reins away in order not yank her mouth.

The guidance of the inside rein remains the same, it is set and the outside rein is used to correct or adjust the radius of the turn.

Interesting fact remains that different coaches have different approaches or maybe just different explanations and methods to correct the same thing. One thing I have learned is that what works for one horse or person does not mean it works for everyone else and experimentation is the only true way to find out and improve on things.

Oh and not to forget thank you for recognizing some of the knowledge that is being shared here. Even though I am just learning this stuff myself I see that too and try to contribute when I feel I can. Please keep doing the same I liked all your writings and your pictures are most awesome!

matthijs

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you for sharing your lesson! This is great information.

I dropped the stirrups on my HyperBike for comfort, but I know forum member Cheryl does this for a better position in dressage and to allow the judge to see her horse's hindquarters.

Did Andy have any other comments on the HyperBike?

I went out today (had the day off work for Yom Kippur, yay!) to practice with Kandy, and in the 10 years I've owned her I don't think we've had this awesome of a drive. She was on the bit, taking contact, and really moving out well
default_smile.png
I am finding that I have to be totally focused- can't chat with my driving buddy/barn owner, even talking to Kandy as I usually do distracts me. There are just so many things I am aware of now! Oh well, I am hopeful that this will all become second nature with enough practice, and more lessons.

Matthijs, that's really interesting! Kandy counterbends to look at stuff, and her right side is stiff so she definitely has more trouble bending on that side. I'm curious to know what Andy will recommend for my fairly green mare, Skippy- her counterbending is more of a balance thing, I think. But I agree- seems like there are a lot of ways to accomplish something, and it's just a matter of finding which works for you and your horse!

Susanne, he didn't have any other comments about the Bike, other than how fun they are for the little guys. I'm going to keep using it for lessons, so we'll see what else comes up!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back