Just got the results of the blood tests for pregnancy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnbum

Reaction score
Jazz did good work--both mares are again pregnant on the first cycle. I'm an every other year breeder because I never want more than I can handle.

Gypsy is due April 20th--the end of a week off of school. Perfect timing. Chloe is due May 10th.

Jazz was telling me they were, but it sure is sweet to get the confirmation from a vet.

default_smile.png

Congrats Barnbum!!! My first mini foal ever is due June 22nd!! I'm so excited I can't stand it!!!!!!!!!!! Foal was confirmed with ultrasound! This is going to be such an exciting foaling year!!!!!! Winter in New Hampshire, PLEASE go by quicky for the first time ever!!!!!!

Joyce

congrats Karla Im so happy for you!!

Kay

Congrats, So far most everyone here has been ultrasound but there is one mare who has me wondering...

Congratulations. Looking foward to seeing pictures of the foals this spring.

Oh Good news Karla, & [SIZE=18pt]Congratulations[/SIZE]

I have one coming around the same time
default_saludando.gif

Congratulations!! That is very exciting
default_smile.png

Can I ask you a couple questions about the blood tests?

- How long did the lab take to get the results back to the vet?

- Is the blood test accurate if we are within a certain range of days gestation?

- And was the cost similar to palpating or ultrasound? I know that varies around the map, just wondering how they stack up generally.

Thanks for the info, if you don't mind sharing
default_wink.png

Hi Faith--

The blood test can't be done before 100 days. If I recall correctly, it has to be done between 100-140 days. One of mine was 102, the other 126. The blood is sent to Cornell--and it takes about 1 week to get the results. The yea or nay is based on hormonal levels--there was something over 80, which indicated pregnancy.

It's less expensive that ultrasound, but that's not why I do the blood test route. Even though there are many vets in the practice I use--there still is not the equipment for minis. I could trailer them over an hour away for US, but I choose not to. The possible twin issue is the only reason I'd prefer US.

The cost to have the vet out to pull blood--and get the results, is the same as me ordering the tests to do myself. I trust the vet's way more than what I'd mess up.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on your upcoming foals!! How very exciting!

I have one confirmed so far and am very much looking forward to her foal. I use the pregnamare tests - you can test between day 40 and 120 and you have your result within one hour. Can ya tell I'm impatient?
default_wink.png

I have four more mares to test and plan to do so within the next few weeks.

I hope you have two beautiful healthy foals barnbum!!
default_smile.png

[SIZE=36pt]Congratulations[/SIZE] I too have one confirmed(US) for May 10th, 2009!!!! Boy is it going to be a LONGGGGGGG winter for alot of us!
default_new_shocked.gif

Latest posts

Back