Just for information, colt has large knot

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimomNC

Reaction score
Our weanling colt grew a large knot on his neck just above his shoulder last week, so took him to the vet this afternoon. He has his second vaccinations just over three weeks ago and it took this long for it to react. I have never seen it happen like that but you know, I learn something new everyday. Its a hard knot and the vet gave him SMZs for 10 days and Banamine ( half a dot) and said it should be just fine. So just because the vaccinations weren't done recently doesn't mean they won't react to them. Its a first for me.

Wow Karen,

That would upset me too. Did the vet say the knot

was an infection? Like need to be lanced??

Just curious.

I hope he gets better quickly.

Sandy

There was nothing in it, just swelling. She did aspirate it first. He is a bit sore but is eating great and his temp was normal. SMZs are a precaution just in case, but it will just take a few days for it to go down.

HI Chandler, thanks for asking, he will be ok. Just going to take some time going away. But his showing days are over for now. Maybe you will see him again in Nov. Who can say at this point.

I'm showing a yearling colt who had a vaccination abcess in his hip this spring. It had to be lanced and drained. Very nasty! But I have continued to show him and he is qualified and will go to the World Show and show in 28" and Under Yearling Stallions as well as the Futurity. You can still see where the abcess was, but it hasn't hurt him in the show ring!

Hope your boy gets over it quickly!

Picked up a local "horsey"publication yesterday at the feed store; inside was an article written by an area resident and frequent contributor, regarding the HUGE(size of a baseball) abcess that developed on her husband's mustang's NECK, a full 10 days or so following a 'routine' vaccination(5 way). There were 8 photos, indicating that the swelling was centralized around a point that was a bit too far back toward the shoulder-meaning the shot may not have been given in the (very small)ideal"target area" for neck shots-and this with an owner who had been regularly giving these shots to this horse yearly for 10 years. With all due respect, just another reason for NOT giving shots in the neck, unless there is absolutely NO other choice. I simply would not give a shot in the neck to a foal/weanling: I am living proof that it is possible to give shots in the hip(below the point, NOT 'on top of' the rump)to about everything, including weanlings, and alone, with no helper--I have done it, in minis, for 21 years. In 30 or so years of giving ALL of my own vaccinations and other IM shots(I do not, and would not, try IV shots), I have had one abcess occur, as a result of a rhino booster. It was in the mare's hip, burst and drained on its own, and healed uneventfully. Gravity is your friend in such a circumstance; it is NOT, in a shot in the neck.

Back