just diagnosed with laminitis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suz

Reaction score
I'm so upset.

My guy was having problems with pain in his front foot for about a week - on and off. Thought he may have just hurt himself playing, etc., so didn't call vet right away.

However, it has been a week. Some days are good, no pain, others, he just doesn't want to move.

So, we called the vet today, she came out and did a couple of tests with his feet and she said he has laminitis. I'm so upset. I can't imagine what caused this.

She told me to change to a low-starch feed. However, he is on Buckeye Grow n Win Ration Balancer now - not a grain, but a balancer.

After reading about laminitis on this forum, alot of people say no grain. Also, I've read it depends on what caused the laminitis to know what to feed him.

Could this ration balancer caused laminitis? he gets 3 oz am and 3 oz pm along with one flax oil capsule and - just recently added - the 1 tsp cinnamon. Also, he gets free-choice timothy hay.

She also put cushions on his feet to help with the pain and also put him on bute. She says if he isn't better in a week, to go get x-rays.

I don't know what to do next.....any suggestions???

Thanks
default_smile.png

Suz I'm definitely no authority on laminitis but my mare was diagnosed with it last spring. Hers was brought on because of too much green spring grass. She also tested as IR. We put her on Thyro L and took her off the grass and saw good improvement. I then put her on Purina Well Solve Low Starch feed and to watch her run and play now it's hard to imagine her condition last year. My best advice would be to contact your vet and ask her the questions you posted here. Good luck with him!!!

If it's laminitis, he won't be better in a week. It usually takes 3 weeks for the inflammation to subside and the lamina to heal some. At that point, if you don't have founder, he should be more comfortable.

Laminitis is ALWAYS caused by something. The key is finding out what. Is he heavy ? Is it just one foot ? How did your vet know it's laminitis without an xray ? Hoof testers ? Is she certain it's not an abscess ? What you're describing could be either. Laminitis usually doesn't just hit one foot. I'm not saying it never just hits in one, just not usually.

Most common causes of Laminitis are: carbo loading, IR and thyroid.

Check out Gene's site http://www.hopeforsoundness.com/education/...flaminitis.html

best info on laminitis out there.

another site http://www.johnthevet.com/symp.php another site with good info.

Normally minis with laminitis and/or founder can be brought back. It just takes time and proper care. I currently am using Well Solve L/S on all my guys and really like it.

Good luck

I suggest that you don't wait to get the x-rays. With them you'll know if there is any rotation, and if so, how much. Your vet can know better what steps to take next once she knows exactly what's going on. It's good forryour farrier know if there is any rotation too. Oh, and be careful with the bute-- if this is a mini, bute can sometimes cause more harm than good. Good luck, I hope your horse recovers quickly!

The reason you don't need to rush with x-rays is that the founder (rotation) usually won't show up in the first three weeks. You try to stabilize the hoof with trimming (take the heels off) and padding and hope for the best. In 3 - 4 wks you do x-rays and check for rotation.

Padding helps about 50% of the time and the other 50% it makes them worse (pain wise).

Trimming for founder seems to help the most and it's a long term thing.

Our vet prefers banamine over bute.

I have heard of cooling the hooves with ice packs, not sure how you could manage that.

Keep him well trimmed.

I had a mare that always got sore when the grass was short and late in the grass season. Someone said that there is more sugar in the grass late in the season and if it has been eaten right down.

Those are my thoughts.

Good luck with your guy.

Another great online resource for laminitis issues at http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/EquineCushings/

There are many suggestions/recommendations there on how to feed laminitic horses. I have five ponies that tend to be sore-footed, and following their advice has made a huge difference for my ponies.

Good luck and keep a positive attitude. Recovering from laminitis is a journey. Expect good days and bad days . . .

I'm no laminitis expert - sorry.

But just be careful with the bute, okay? A slight overdose can be deadly to minis, similar to Quest wormer. Bute can cause stomach ulcers. Banimine(sp?) is much better and safer to use on miniatures.

Just letting you know.
default_wink.png

Check out the yahoo equine cushings group..they discuss insulin resistance as well as cushings..lots of good laminitis advice. Their mantra is

Diagnosis, Diet and Trim.

Latest posts

Back