Just bought my first mini!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlottein

Reaction score
Drove a long way to meet him, and he will be coming home in July! He is a double registered silver dapple gelding, 4 years old. There was a filly that the breeder was selling as well that I liked the look of even more, but Chaos had the better personality. I can't wait to start trick training him. I am planning to get him cart trained, but need to wait till probably next year before I buy a cart so that I don't have to use my emergency funds. My car broke down on the way home though and I had to have it towed and leave it at the shop an hour away from home and get picked up. It was a pretty dramatic day.

A question, should I let him get used to his pen for a couple days before I start taking him out and about working with him around the neighborhood? Or would it be better to start right away? I am going to take it slow to acclimate him of course. His pen will be pretty large with plenty of room to run.

CONGRATS on your mini boy!!!!!!! Whooo hooooo!!!!!!!!

Me, I would give him a few days to get used to where he is and used to you before I started working him.

Welcome!!!!!!

love your avatar photo!

congratulations! Welcome to the wonderful world of minis! they are quite addicting! lol. I would let him get used to his "safe zone" first, and whenever he seems comfortable with that then take him out. just my opinion.
default_smile.png

Thanks! And that is my kitty Ashe in the dress hehe, I just had to put her in a clothes and she is totally fine with it!

Another question - I am used to big horses, do minis kick as much as large horses - do you do the same thing with putting your hand on the hindquarters when you are going around the back end?

Congrats on your mini! I share your excitement because I'm getting my first mini in the fall! I plan to leave mine in her pen until she seems comfortable. I have big horses that will be in the pen next to her so I'm sure that everyone will be all worked up from seeing other's like them but much different in size! I plan to go in her pen and just bond with her and let her get used to me so when I take her out to start working on stuff she will at least be starting to trust me.

Welcome to minis and to LB!

To answer your question about minis kicking as much as big horses... I always tell people to treat their mini like a HORSE, not like a dog or other little pet. They are horses and will do and act the same as big ones. So yes, in general you should handle them the same way you handle your big horses and be aware that they can (and some will) do everything a big horse does.

That said, most minis are so much easier to handle and work with than their larger cousins. Size is only part of it, but they do possess wonderful personalities, making them perfect for young people and very old people to handle with only minimal effort. But they need to be taught manners (and reinforce those manners), just like big horses. Biting is not acceptable, and neither is pulling back, kicking, etc. If you're used to handling big horses, just make your actions a little smaller on the scale for the minis and you should be just fine.

Best of luck to you! I bet you won't be able to stop at just one!
default_yes.gif

Best of luck to you! I bet you won't be able to stop at just one!

Yeah....what she said!! I got my first mini at the end of April, planned on just one for now. Weeeelllll--some KIND person(s) sent me an email blast about the Southern Breeze auction, now I'm the proud owner of 2 minis!!

My experience so far has been, as stated by others here, treat them just like the big horses, just scale down OUR reactions to accomodate the smaller size. I find my stallion Casper to be very easy to work with (he's 9), voice is usually sufficient for reprimands, and he's much more reactive to my body language. It's been like working my Arabs was, with much more finesse!!

Congrats on being a newbie like me!!

Congrats. I'm new to minis too, I've always had big horses. I got mine last October. She took a few days to settle in. They are awesome and I really enjoy working with them, such lovely temperaments. I hope we'll see pictures of your new horse soon
default_smile.png

Back