Just bought a new Colt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadyacersminis

Reaction score
We just purchased a new colt yesterday, He is 8 days old... Were not quite sure if he is appy or not, He is definately pinto.... He has a little mottling on his butt..... He has broken up black spots on his side and lower on his belly, several small black (single) spots spread out on his back leg between the hock and tail and a couple on his butt near his tail head.... He has a couple small spots on his chest with big rings of black skin around them... and a few areas that look like just a couple of black hairs here and there you cant see in pictures that look like they may grow in with time.... Im no appy expert so I need some help figureing out what he really is....

The Baby is a Orion Light Grandson and also a NFC Manipulator Grandson....

Sire is a Leopard Appaloosa and there is no mistake about him, he has every appy characteristic there is, mottled Muzzle, Eyes, Butt, and his parts along with lots of spots.....

Here are a couple pictures...

baby1.jpg

baby2.jpg

baby3.jpg

I'm sure others with more appy knowledge will chime in but to me he does not look to have any appy traits, at least not currently.
default_wink.png

He's very cute, but to me he has no spotted characterisitcs. I would at least expect to see striped hooves,white scelera (sp), or mottled skin.

Doesn't he look like his mum though bless.

Oh my gosh, he's CUTE!!! I don't see any appy traits, just pinto and adorable!!!

He is absolutely adorable
default_wub.png
Congratulations.

He's beautiful! He looks like a Hairicane colt - is he? I do see the molting on his rump, so I's say give him some time and you'll have a pintoloosa(sp?)
default_wub.png
The black spots you see now, I would think are homozygous spots or possibly just other pinto markings. My colt has some like them and they look like flies or dripped hoof black at the shows
default_laugh.png
Everyone trys to rub them of
default_rolleyes.gif

Oops, forgot to say Congrats!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If the tiny black spots on his rump is what you're referring to as "mottling", it is NOT.. Appy mottling is NOT black spots like that.. From these pics you'd only be able to tell if he has mottling around his mouth and eyes, which he does not appear to.. Mottling will be around his anus, sheath, mouth and eyes.. Mottling on a pintaloosa can take a while to come in, our jet black colt last year (sired by a near leopard and out of a black pinto mare) didn't get mottling until he was at least a month and a half old. The tiny black spots on him could be from appaloosa or could be pinto "ink spots", time will tell.. He sure is a cutie, breeders don't happen to have one in filly do they?
default_wink.png

One thing for sure, he carries SPLASH!
default_smile.png
(my favorite!)

I don't see any appy at all either, just a cute, colorful pinto!

I love that pic of he and his mom walking!

Congrats on your new boy!
default_aktion033.gif

His spots are probably from his pinto heritage. It looks like his mother has very similar markings on her side as well. Because he is mostly white, and his sire is an appaloosa it is possible for appaloosa to be hiding in there. If so, it may show up as roaning on his face.

He is a beautiful colt!!
default_smile.png

that is one beautiful boy!!!! Appy can take a while to show up.....LOVE his eyeliner and baby blues....yum!!!! Congratulations on a very striking boy!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif

Ok, Let me clairify, the mottling is on the anus..

The anus does have some appy mottling, not the pinto type mottling that ive seen before,he has White skin with some black spots, kinda looks like you took a sharpie and puts some dots on him, Not the pinto kind that ive seen where you have mostly black skin with a few white areas... I know I have a stallion that is a Black and White w/ Sabino all over him, his Anus was solid black when he was born, He now is loaded on his anus with the pinto type mottling that grew in over time.....

The little black spots on his rump are about the size of a pencil eraser right now and are difficult to see in the pictures.. He has a few more like this up near his hips and next to his tail head....

He's beautiful! He looks like a Hairicane colt - is he? I do see the molting on his rump, so I's say give him some time and you'll have a pintoloosa(sp?)
default_wub.png
The black spots you see now, I would think are homozygous spots or possibly just other pinto markings. My colt has some like them and they look like flies or dripped hoof black at the shows
default_laugh.png
default_rolleyes.gif

Hey Ill take that as a compliment, he is lovely! Congrat s on that cutie!!
default_yes.gif

But no not from me, im still waiting for my 1st overo bred foal to arrive this year. And I did breed some appys and overos together so who knows what we will get.

default_wub.png
default_laugh.png
default_rolleyes.gif

Hey Ill take that as a compliment, he is lovely! Congrat s on that cutie!!
default_yes.gif

But no not from me, im still waiting for my 1st overo bred foal to arrive this year. And I did breed some appys and overos together so who knows what we will get.
It was
default_wink.png
He's LOUD and BEAUTIFUL! Looking forward to seeing your 2009 kids.
default_smile.png

So spill the beans, where did this boy come from???
default_wub.png

He's stunning in my book !!! And what a great pix side of his Mom. That should go to Equusite.

Joyce

Aw, what a cutie he is, look at that face!!
default_wub.png

If he has mottling under his tail, then I would suspect he will end up with appy spots to go along with the pinto ones he's showing now. It's hard to say with appaloosas, which is one reason I'm so fascinated with them!

I'd love to see more pics of your little guy as he matures, and congratulations!!

Latest posts

Back