Just before the show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katiean

Reaction score
We are getting ready for the show this next week so Jessie went out and gave Ellie a bath an conditioner. Then she was going to walk her until she was dry. We have a bridge across a dip right behind our house and into the house. I get to the laundry room and told Jessie "Don't you bring that horse in this house". About that time Ellie side steps and off the bridge she goes. She only fell about 3 feet. I checked her over and I thought she was ok. Well, Jessie gets her out front and I looked at Ellie again. She caught her left front heel on a nail that was sticking out of the bridge at the back door. She is not lame on it. I think she could have used a stitch or two but I don't think she would have stood for me to do that so I did the next best thing. After I cleaned it I placed a gauze pad on it and We had some of that web tubing so I put it over the pad and wraped her foot with a vet wrap. I changed the bandage about 4 hours later really cause I wanted to see of it was going to stick back on with out stitches and it is. I am going to keep her wraped with a protective bandage except for her classes the end of next week.

I've never had a hoof puncture, but have had a neck one here (actually, thought it was a bullet hole at first!).

I know in flesh punctures on a horse, you want to keep it OPEN (don't stitch). If it heals over on the outside first, it will abscess on the inside. What we did with our punctured horse was to flush the area 2x a day with peroxide and the horse was on banamine and an oral antibiotic if I remember right. I do not know if a hoof injury is the same way but I know on body injuries, a danger in horses is for it to heal over too early (which would initially appear to mean the horse was doing well -- but then you'd get a nasty abscess).

Good luck and I'm happy you know where the injury happened. Ours happened New Years weekend of 2006 and I STILL have no clue what my horse hurt himself on.

Has your horse had a tetnus shot lately? If not, you should giver her one, just in case.

Yeh, she has had her shots. Also, it isn't a puncture wound it was a tear from just below the hair line at her heal down almost 1/2" (just smaller than a dime). It seems to be re-attaching really nicely. She is not lame on it she just doesn't like her bright blue vet wrapped booty. I wrapped the whole foot even underneath her foot to keep it clean.

Latest posts

Back