Just Bad News...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripleDstables

Reaction score
Well, I've been having back pain for the last 2 years and x rays didn't show anything. But I went and got an MRI not too long ago to show 5 bulging discs and one that is almost bulging, but just aggitated for now. They say I can't ride until next summer, maybe not at all if I hurt myself again, and then I'd have to get surgery.
default_no.gif
And, it hurts too bad to bend down for my little ones.

I don't know what I'm going to do. Mom is trying to find someone to free lease my quarter horse mare.

I hurt my back doing weight lifting from 14- 15 years old in school... so it's sort of my fault that I'm hurt too. Thats not exactly helping my situation at all... But for now I have physical therapy 3x's a week for 8 weeks.

I'm too young for this!
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hun, look around your area....local hospitals, physical therapy places and ask for a Reiki Practitioner...saved my life, changed my life, healed my pain, no surgery for me, thank the powers that be...I still have the 5 discs but I manage them. Bonnie told me when I was in your shoes years ago, now I am sharing it with you....it works.

I had a slipped disc at 14 (agony!). You don't realise how many muscles you use in your lower back for so many things (coughing etc.) until it's agony to do those things. Couldn't ride for 2 or 3 months; basically crawled around the floor for a few weeks. I did lots of stretching exercises etc. Slept on the floor (a hard, flat surface is best)...and it became a habit for a few years
default_unsure.png
I started working out 5 days a week later on (when I got better) and really strengthened my back. It caused me trouble on and off for a few years before I started working out, but after that...nothing! Your youth is an advantage. You can correct it if you take care of it properly. And when I say working out, I mean properly and not overexerting yourself (which you probably did
default_no.gif
).

I understand what you are going through, your sounds much worse, but I injuried my back last summer lifting VERY heavy cherrie boxes, worst mistake of my life. But take it from me, you will feel guilty for that you but, but theres nothing you can do about that.

Even now I still haves some problem with my back (its also genetic for me as both my brother and mother have slipped disks, I always says my siblings and I shouldn't breed
default_biggrin.png
)

The best thing is to be proactive. I started walking for half an hour 1 week after injury my back, humans were made to move, and move, and move (but not lift!) So the best thing for your back is to move it. I don't run as it jolts the back, but I walk to the point Im going as fast as I would jogging. I now am up to over an hour over walk, rain or shine, everyday; its gotten to the point its not just for my back, it makes me feel good!

Next, stretch, lots. Best thing to do, talk to a physio-therapist or masage therapist about the proper stretchs for your back, as some stretch can just do more damage.

As some have already suggest, seek help for someone who specializes in this stuff. I went to a masage therapist and he saved me!!! (Of course, remember, I didn't have a slipped disk, my problem was a rotating hip)

Another I just remembered, sleeping. Unless you have a good, firm but comfy mattress, the floor with a small cushion might be the best option. When you sleep, you muscles relax, so this is a perfect time to help out your back. One of the best ways is to sleep with a pillow at your knees. If you on your back, have the pillow under your knees. If your on your side, between you knees; thease positions set you back so it is in the correct position, so the muscles relax into the state they want to be in.

I hope that your problem can be solved and for a quick recovery!!!

Thank you for your responses.
default_smile.png

I've tried spiritual healing, though I have to admit it wasn't my idea. It had no effect on me though, I think it's one of those things you have to truly believe in for it to work.

I have been doing a lot of stretches and my physical therapist and I have been working on strengthening my core. I do walk a lot (I have even before I was injured) I love to walk.
default_biggrin.png

I have a very good matress with plenty of pillows to rearrange every which way to get comfortable. I should start putting a pillow between my knees when I'm on my side and one under my knees when I'm on my back though. That would be a good habit to get into! I do sleep on the floor from time to time though.

I hope to keep everyone posted and have good news such as a speedy, but more importantly a complete recovery.

I am sorry to hear about your back trouble. I too have back pain but it doesn't sound as bad as yours. Good luck and a speedy recovery!!!

Latest posts

Back