Just a word about foaling losses/forum

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaykay

Reaction score
This is the time of year you read about a lot of tragedies. It can get very hard to read. I feel so bad for everyone who has lost foals or mares. I have been there too and know how heartbreaking it is

Keep in mind though that this forum is WORLD WIDE!! So it seems like a huge amount of foal losses but when you realize how many people post here it puts it into perspective.

I think people get scared thinking there is an epidemic of foal losses when in reality its a huge amount of people posting from so many different areas of the world.

For sure breeding can be heartbreaking and I am not at all trying to minimize that, but do keep in mind how large this forum is.

All any of us can do is try our best to get healthy foals on the ground, but there are some things you cant control no matter how hard you try. And I think it helps alot that we have each other to help us thru the bad times and try to help when we can.

Good post Kay, and very true. For every foal lost here there are many happy outcomes as well.

Jan

Thanks Kay for keeping it in perspective. It is depressing reading about the loses and heart break for so many. This is a place like no other to get the support and advice that many people need at times when things are not going well. Thanks L'il Beginnings.

Mary

I agree. It all has to be in perspective.

Also please don't be hard on those that have losses. I am sure they beat themselves up enough.

I know I did when I lost one last year.

Good post, I think a huge majority reading this board are here because we want to do all we can for our horses. My heart goes out to all that have had a difficult year so far. Most of us have been there at one point or another. For those that have never enccountered serious issues with their little herds, you are fortunate and extremely blessed.

This is also a clear reality check for those that have never bred or owned a mini to understand the inherited risks that go along with the responsabilities that we accept when we decide to own or breed our animals. With the extreme sence of joy they bring us, also comes an extreme sence of sorrow when something goes wrong.

May the good Lord above watch over each and every one of his creatures and give us the knowledge and ability to care for them to the best of our capability.

default_pray.gif

Carolyn

"This is also a clear reality check for those that have never bred or owned a mini to understand the inherited risks that go along with the responsabilities that we accept when we decide to own or breed our animals. With the extreme sence of joy they bring us, also comes an extreme sence of sorrow when something goes wrong. "

This is so very true! There are many risks to our mares when we take upon breeding.
default_no.gif
My heart often breaks to read the stories of the losses of the mares and foals, fully realizing it can happpen to anyone. No matter how much we love and enjoy those precious foals, it is a great undertaking from the time we breed that mare until foaling....and even way beyond. I hope everyone who breedes horses understand the worst can happen...even to them, and are prepared to handle it. Mary

Good Post.
default_smile.png

I know it is really good for people to know what can go wrong; but when I think of my pregnant girl I keep getting nervous for her to foal out; I keep picturing how bad I felt for everyone their ,photos, stories. Its scary but its a risk we have to take I guesse
default_wacko.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Good points here. It is important to keep things in perspective. Any farm can have a bad foaling year it does not mean they have been careless but we are dealing with living creatures and life can be a fragile thing. In fact it is that very fragility that makes it so precious. Part of the thrill of seeing those foals romping in the summer sun is the knowledge that things could so easily have gone wrong and each one is a small miracle.

Good post Kay. I was just reminding myself of the same thing after seeing all the posts about problem deliveries and angel foals. The forum is helpful in that information is shared that can prevent some of the bad outcomes, unfortunately anytime you breed you have to accept that sometimes the outcome is bad no matter what you do. Thankfully the good outcomes far outweigh the bad.

This is a good post. The heartbreak of losing a foal is never very far away if one is breeding regularly, and reading about the sad losses on here this year really upsets me - and has started to make me very nervous for when we start foaling (around beginning May). But of course there are also the wonderful stories and pictures of gorgeous little babies and their happy Mummies. As has been said we have to keep everything in perspective.

But it is difficult. In 06 we lost our first 4 foals, 2 premmies with twisted cords, one to term with twisted cord who lived for 24 hours, and the final one a red bag with a maiden mare. We made the mistake of trying to wait for the vet, but just before he arrived the mare got down and foaled, a filly, easy birth and still just alive! She died a hour later inspite of all the vet could do. If we had known how to deal with a red bag (new to us) that little filly might have stood a chance, but not knowing we 'held up' the birth for as long as we could. How do you think that made me feel? It was highly possible that I killed that foal! That is something I have to live with, and with the look on my mares face as she sniffed her baby. Happily this same mare produced a lovely colt last year, but as you can imagine, I was camping outside her stable for weeks beforehand.

Thanks to you friends on LB, I may lose another red bag foal, but it wont be for not knowing what to do!

Anna

I remember a post on this forum a couple of years ago - a newbie had had 2 foals born, was not in attendance, everything was fine - and she had decided that all the foaling horror stories were simply a way for the "big" breeders to scare off any competition - this foaling stuff was easy!

It took me a week to get my eyes out of the back of my head - they rolled so hard.

I agree that every loss is a reality check. There have been endless posts about a baby coming a month early - 5 weeks early - and when I - or someone else - has asked how they knew it was "early" - well, said baby actually arrived well within the normal range and was not early at all. We have had healthy, happy foals born at 296 days... and most of them in the 310 - 320 range... so I confess that I worry when I read a post that says - Frisky's due date is close - she is at 339 days - when should I start watching her?

My answer - at least 39 days ago.

I think the foaling loss stories help people reconsider - and think. It may be fun to have a cute, fuzzy baby bouncing around the lawn this summer - but at what cost? So much can go wrong so quickly.

Foaling is the best of times - and the worst of times. And some years are worse than others...

As has been said so many times on this forum breeding is NOT for the faint of heart. So very many things can go wrong but the majority are not the bad ones fortunately. And as I told my grandchildren when we were on the edge whether Harvey would live or not if he doesnt it wont be bacause we havent tried . I do believe most miniature owners at least those on this board try to do the best job they can and even with those measures we still lose some. Sometimes God is with you and sometimes there is nothing anyone one can do. My big horse friends think Im crazy for setting up a 24 hour watch when our mares are close. It is a very hard thing to do and if we ever get where we can we will have equipage but for now we do shifts around the clock. Poor Jodi had watched from day 300 and worked too. All night from midnight to 6 then sleep from 6-8 then work from 9-4 then she would sleep from 4-8 or so and it would start all over. My grandson and husband and I took the filler hours. And if your baby isnt 100% you still have to keep watch. Maybe not as close but almost. Foal watch doesnt end with birth in many instances. I would suggest that anyone who is discouraged with all the bad news of lost babies and mares go to the foal forum and look at all those sweet faces because that is what it truly is about. We are just more apt to hear about the bad ones because they pull at our heart strings and we need each other more for the ones that dont go as well. And for those who dont think it can happen to them it surely can and quicker than you think.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too am saddened by the losses and feel for everyone who has something go wrong. Yes, it can happen to anyone at anytime. It tends to remind us that regardless of what we do, we're not necessarily always in control.

I have to remind those who are new to breeding and new to foaling to please learn everything you can. Knowledge is a powerful tool. It will help you to know when something is going wrong and when you need to get your vet there asap. This wonderful site has taught me so very much about caring for minis and I learn something new just about everytime I open a post. I greatly appreciate those who have shared their experiences as I try to absorb some knowledge from them in case I ever have a similar experience.
default_yes.gif

This wonderful site has taught me so very much about caring for minis and I learn something new just about everytime I open a post. I greatly appreciate those who have shared their experiences as I try to absorb some knowledge from them in case I ever have a similar experience.
default_yes.gif
So true. I have been learning here for almost as long as I have had my minis and continue to learn all the time both from experienced owners and those who are newer to minis and horses in general.
default_aktion033.gif

This is so true and there are so many experienced breeders here who are willing to help no matter what the circumstance. This forum is invaluable during foaling season even if just to calm the nerves. It doesnt matter if you come on at 8 at night or 3 in the morning someone is usually here and more than willing to help this is a great group of people and even if someone doesnt know they will PM someone who does and soon you have your answer.

Latest posts

Back