Just a vent

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
My husband has finally taken a big interest in the horses, and has gotten pretty fond of my three year old. We have been fitting him for my husband to show at local open shows. The last few shows we were supposed to attend we haven't made it to because at the last minute our transportation backed out, and our truck is broken down, and since it is only used to haul horses, we haven't had the spare money to have it fixed. My husband was really excite that this weekend we were going to a show with the barn owner and another boarder. We have been clipping the horses, bathing, hes been practicing halter, and really working his butt off. Today we spent 6 hours at the barn working the horses, stripping and rebedding stalls (we have a light colored horse who get "sawdust" stains) clipping, bathing, razoring, etc. I am still learning a routine to get my horses ready, so everything takes a bit. I actually missed my step fathers birthday party because the 3 year old was being difficult, and it was taking longer to get him done. Finally around 9pm we got the horses in slinky hoods and sheets, and put away for the night. We were pooped, but excited for tomorrow. My husband was worried that the 3 year old might act up in the ring tomorrow, and it was agreed that if he was being silly there I would show him, and he could show Domingo, so hubby could concentrate on what he needed to be doing, and not what Midas was doing. After that he was even more excited. Well, when we made our way up to the car, the barn manager walked out and told me that the trip was off, because the other lady that was supposed to come backed out, since she and her daughter, handicapped son, and grandson couldn't all ride in the truck hauling the horses (the truck is a 3 seat, and that would be 5 people).

I thought it was pretty immature, and im a bit peeved at her. Really wish she would have done it before I spent all day prepping horses. I feel terrible for my husband, he got so excited about this show, and now he wont get to show.

The barn owner said she could probably take us to an open show next weekend, but it only offers halter (this show offered showmanship, halter, obstacle, and hunter) and we didnt plan to be home the ay before the show to get the horses ready (we were planning to go to the Open Barn at Iona Farm, and its a few hour drive out there.

I guess im just a bit peeved that we did all that work for nothing, and because we wanted to get the three year old out before a "big show" for him in 2 weeks, since we are planning to sell him.

That's just lousy and I feel for you.

That happened to me just once as a teenager just starting out on my own and never again. I learned right then and there never to depend on anyone but yourself. I worked my butt off and got my own trailer and that was it. Me, my horse and my dog hit the road and went showing anywhere and anytime we wanted. No more bumming rides.

Do what you have to do to get your truck running and don't depend on anyone else again. Make it a priority.

Thats a rotten shame what happend to you guys. So sorry.

It would have been so much better if you'd been told this before you went through all that work.

But yep, that is what happens when you have to depend on others for your ride all the time. I would hate having to do that, and would probably not even think of showing if I didn't have my own mode of transportation for my horses.

Did you try offering to pay more if she would haul your horses anyway? Perhaps if her full gas cost and time were covered she'd have still hauled your horses for you? Some area have commercial haulers that will haul horses to and from shows--we have nothing like that here, and perhaps you don't either? I know in some bigger centers there are haulers that will do local transport to shows. I have no idea what people pay for that sort of transport, but perhaps that would be something to look into for future shows?

Commercial transport may be more reliable than other horse owners that you try to catch rides with?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its such a shock to me, I have NEVER had trouble getting to shows in the past. When I was showing Quarter horses, and even when I just started in minis, I was showing every weekend, and back then didn't have my own trailer. Now I have the hardest time finding reliable rides. I may see if hubby wants to make tomorrow a "photo shoot" day for the horses. I dont have any recent pictures of Midas, and not really any good recent ones of domingo either, and they are both already clipped and bathed. Only problem is there isnt anywhere nice to take them at the barn, Might have to walk them down the gravel road, but then theres no sunlight. Oh well, we'll see what happens.

not only is it a huge dissapointment but there are show fees that I imagine you have lost... Do you have a friend that will let you borrow a trailer? I use to rent one before I had one of my own. Sorry to hear the news , and it was a worthy gripe.

I'm really sorry this happened. I've been similarly disappointed in the past and remember how bad it feels. I'm sorry you and your husband were let down
default_sad.png

so sorry its so much preparation to get ready for a show

just to be disappointed at the last minute

So sorry, I would imagine it would be hard to depend on others to get where you

want to be. Hope you make the best of the situation and do your photo shoot

We will wait to see pics

We have a truck and a trailer, but the transmission is out on our truck, and being that it is not a daily driver for us, and only used for horses, its not on top of the priority list to get fixed. It's going to cost about $1500, and we just havent had the extra money laying around since we have had our daily drivers break down and need repaired in the last few months. If only our other truck wasnt a tiny GMC Sonoma.

Whereabouts in Pennsylvania are your from? I'd be willing to help.

Yes, maybe there's a local club member who's driving by and would like to help split gas fees to get to the show? Or if they could just get your horses and you drive down. See if you can find someone passing you.

Theres some pictures of the guys over on the photo forum. Unfortunately everyone local to me usually take a full trailer, so I haven't been able to find a ride with anyone yet. Maybe I'll come across someone I dont know of in my area who shows minis, you never know.

Back