Just a heads up/warning.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firefall

Reaction score
I was going through checking my adds I have listed in several places. Found that a scammer has used my photo and info on a filly I bred and still currently own!!! I have contacted the board owner and she emailed me back but checked this morning and the other ad is still there.
default_new_shocked.gif
So I posted above the scammers add stating I'm the true owner of the filly. This all happened about a week ago. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

So keep an eye out on your adds, this scammer has also used this same filly in other adds with my wording but no picture. Plus they have her double the price.

By the way, they apparently only use the free website sale boards.

If anyone would like to know this sale board, pm me.

Just a little word of advise. You are posting photos on a public website, and once you post it there, it's now become public, and anyone has access to taking it. Unfortunately, there are some nasty people out there, who will take advantage of anyone, and it's up to you to safeguard yourself. Take a little extra time to add a copywrite to your photos...........good photos and even those you don't think are anything special. I've seen on the news where photos of peoples pets ended up in some big marketing add, and they didn't even know it. Another photo of a teenage girl ended up in some big marketing add, and she didn't know it. Both photos had been changed somewhat, but the main subjects were what they used.

It's simple to add a copywrite to any photo you post. Also, if you have the know-how, and have the program (like Photoshop), add a watermark. To create a copywrite on your photo, here's what you do. Hold down the "alt" key, while typing in 0169, and then release the "alt" key. Add in the year, your name, I'd suggest first and last name, since someone can claim they have the same first name as you, and add your farm name to identify the photo even more. Place the copywrite over something in the photo that would make it hard to edit out. This isn't fool proof, anyone with a little bit of editing knowledge can edit it out, but the key is to make it so that it is tough for them to do, and think twice about taking the time to do it.

Here is an example: © Geri Becker 2009 - Twin Oaks Portraits

When I post a photo on-line, I actually duplicate that copywrite to go across the whole photo:

© Geri Becker 2009 - Twin Oaks Portraits © Geri Becker 2009 - Twin Oaks Portraits

I know in Photoshop, you can lower the opacity on that text, so it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb,
default_laugh.png
but yet, it's still there, and visible. You can also create a stamp in photoshop so that all you have to do is click the stamp once on the photo, and not have to type this text over and over on each photo you edit.

Another tip is to not post large photos, or photos with high resolution. Use photos with a minimum of 72 resolution, in jpg format, and around 500 - 600 pixels at the widest point. If they are using them for the web, it really doesn't matter what size, but they will distort the more they download and upload to other sites, and the more they try to alter them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Geri, I have been going through and adding a watermark. A good lesson for me thats for sure. I sure wish the owner of the website would have taken the ad down, don't know why they didn't.
default_no.gif

It's simple to add a copywrite to any photo you post. Also, if you have the know-how, and have the program (like Photoshop), add a watermark. To create a copywrite on your photo, here's what you do. Hold down the "alt" key, while typing in 0169, and then release the "alt" key. Add in
Another tip is to not post large photos, or photos with high resolution. Use photos with a minimum of 72 resolution, in jpg format, and around 500 - 600 pixels at the widest point. If they are using them for the web, it really doesn't matter what size, but they will distort the more they download and upload to other sites, and the more they try to alter them.
I have never been able to do the Alt and numbers to get the copy right sign. I have a laptop with an older Vista OS.... wonder if that is why I can't?

© <- see when you type "alt + 0169" on your computer, it will make a copyright symbol. But I think you have to have the number keypad on the left of your keyboard, I'm not sure it works with the regular numbers on top of the letters on a keyboard. Some laptops don't have the number keypad, so maybe that's why?

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a little word of advise. You are posting photos on a public website, and once you post it there, it's now become public, and anyone has access to taking it. Unfortunately, there are some nasty people out there, who will take advantage of anyone, and it's up to you to safeguard yourself. Take a little extra time to add a copywrite to your photos...........good photos and even those you don't think are anything special. I've seen on the news where photos of peoples pets ended up in some big marketing add, and they didn't even know it. Another photo of a teenage girl ended up in some big marketing add, and she didn't know it. Both photos had been changed somewhat, but the main subjects were what they used.
It's simple to add a copywrite to any photo you post. Also, if you have the know-how, and have the program (like Photoshop), add a watermark. To create a copywrite on your photo, here's what you do. Hold down the "alt" key, while typing in 0169, and then release the "alt" key. Add in the year, your name, I'd suggest first and last name, since someone can claim they have the same first name as you, and add your farm name to identify the photo even more. Place the copywrite over something in the photo that would make it hard to edit out. This isn't fool proof, anyone with a little bit of editing knowledge can edit it out, but the key is to make it so that it is tough for them to do, and think twice about taking the time to do it.

Here is an example: © Geri Becker 2009 - Twin Oaks Portraits

When I post a photo on-line, I actually duplicate that copywrite to go across the whole photo:

© Geri Becker 2009 - Twin Oaks Portraits © Geri Becker 2009 - Twin Oaks Portraits

I know in Photoshop, you can lower the opacity on that text, so it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb,
default_laugh.png
but yet, it's still there, and visible. You can also create a stamp in photoshop so that all you have to do is click the stamp once on the photo, and not have to type this text over and over on each photo you edit.

Technically, pictures posted by the photographer are already protected by copyright law. Your ideas to tag the photos with identifying marks however might thwart some that might otherwise try to use those photos without your consent. Keeping your photo albums "private" on social networking site like Flickr is another precaution. Both cases that you referenced are interesting studies in copyright infringement, and highlight the growing trend by corporate America to cash in on consumer's preference for believability/genuineness in advertising. Consumers can spot and actor coped up to look like a "nerd." We want to see the real thing, lol!

Latest posts

Back